the scar debate

I have been getting a few pms regarding my recent HT. One thing we allways see is questions regarding the strip scar. Number one, if you build hypertrophic scar tissue, then do not consider a strip as your first line of defense. If you have childhood scars still visable, then you have hypertrophic scarring. Some people can be cut and heal spectacularly, it is individualistic.

\secondly fue into the scar is a real option, if the scarring is that bad. My personal opinion is that a full hairline would outweigh the potential for scarring, if you determine that you heal well normally.

Worse case senario is that you tell anyone inquiring you were hit in the back of the head with a blunt axe, that should shut them up quickly!!!!! cheers, 7 days and growing!!!

I have been getting a few pms regarding my recent HT. One thing we allways see is questions regarding the strip scar. Number one, if you build hypertrophic scar tissue, then do not consider a strip as your first line of defense. If you have childhood scars still visable, then you have hypertrophic scarring. Some people can be cut and heal spectacularly, it is individualistic.

\secondly fue into the scar is a real option, if the scarring is that bad. My personal opinion is that a full hairline would outweigh the potential for scarring, if you determine that you heal well normally.

Worse case senario is that you tell anyone inquiring you were hit in the back of the head with a blunt axe, that should shut them up quickly!!!!! cheers, 7 days and growing!!!

i think you're wrong about hypertophic scaring people. I have tons of scars from when I was little. On my head in particular, I have a couple on my eyebrow and one nasty one on my chin. I also still have dents and lumps in my ears from when they were pierced with a 10 gauge 8 years ago.

Now, I recently had a strip with a trico/"ledge" closure, got the stitches out yesterday, and even though my hair was cut down in the area to less than a 1/4in to aid in suture removal, i have trouble finding the scar in the mirror ... even with the suture holes still a bit scabbed!

My opinion is that your scar depends almost entirely on the skill of your surgeon. But if you're one with nasty keloid scarring, a strip isn't right, of course.

Look for pics in a few weeks. I'm sure that in a month, I won't be able to detect it at a #2 guard. But you'll have to wait on that picture until next summer.

Of course I guess you might mean that the scar being seen below a #2 gaurd is unacceptable, but why would that be? I mean, what, you're going to go get a transplant and shave it ALL off? I don't think so.

cheers

--

2200 fu's from Dr Paul Rose

propecia

My Hair Loss WebLog

Of course I guess you might mean that the scar being seen below a #2 gaurd is unacceptable, but why would that be? I mean, what, you're going to go get a transplant and shave it ALL off? I don't think so.

Exactly my point also. That is why the scar debate with strip is mostly a non-issue. Maybe just a selling point for doctors performing only FUE.

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

I had a large procedure and my scar is on the wider side. Coupled with the fine hair on the sides of my head, it can only barely be concealed with hair cut to one inch and even then I see a faint outline around my head. I most ceratinly lost the abilty to use clippers even on higher settings.

I went to a top 5 doctor and got tricho. The scar was wide from the begining, right after taking out the staples.

Scarring CAN be an issue. I lost the abilty to clip my hair, but I can still keep it short, but it is a loss. It makes going to the stylist very dicey because you need to tell them about it (well in my case its easy to see.)

I am hoping te scar will not be as wide after the second procedure.

I would say about 50% of guys are lucky and can still use clippers. But of the guys who have had strip procedure, you will notice very few of them use clippers. Wonder why?

FUE would not have been an option for me due to potential yield issues. although the presence of the scar would really make me consider FUE if my loss was minimal. The problem with "minimal" loss is that it often progresses, so its difficult to make a blanket case for FUE. Maybe in guys who are 30 or older and have minimal loss. Everyone else needs the highest possible yield. Once you have had a HT, you will realize how precious every hair is. There are some FUE guys who have gotten close to strip yield, but then there seem to be a good number who havent and have needed touch ups. Neiter method is perfect.

So if you are going strip, please be prepared to sacrifice the abilt to clip your hair. THe pencil thin scars CAN happen, but they are not as common as you might think.

I am 30 with minimal loss that is limited to the temples, but I still worry about my mpb progressing. That is why I do not want to risk fue because of possible low yeild and also the possibility of injuring adjacent follicles in the donor region.

On the flip side, I really want to be able to go to a 3 guard. If I can't go to a 4 guard, then the procedure would be a loss.

Hmmm, the dilema.

NW4

No one can guarantee scar results. While uncommon, just last week I had a fellow who had a modestly wide scar from previous transplants that we revised. He was skiddish, and we only revised the left half of his scar as he wanted to make sure he would get a lasting improvement. He comes in today for suture removal, and I will post him next week.

But, an option if you are really worried about scarring, is: get a very small case, a few hundred grafts via a 5 cm strip. That way if you have a scar problem, its a small scar rather than the entire back of your head. It might cost more to do it this way, but its one way of predicting your eventual scar results.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

dr. Lindsey:

great advice! That should help everybody who is afraid of the scar from strip.

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

yes Dr. Lindsey,

that is a brillant approach alternative that I have never really heard of before, makes excellent sense. I know scar developement has a myriad of potential influences. As a medical professional I see a fair amount of scar tissue and find there is a wide variation in scar developement(hypertrophy) from person to person. I feel it may be a good indicator of post -op results following fut, but not definitive. Being a recent surgical fut case, i feel the end result of having a rebuilt hairline far outweighs the potential for a noticable scar that can eventually be dealt with in several ways. I know from following these boards for years that scar developement is a major obstacle to persons wanting to pull the trigger on going forward. My only point is that if you don't normal build hypertrophic scar tissue you will be more than fine with a strip result from the recommended surgeons on this board.

If you are still thinking of these issues, give some thought to looking at a few of the scar revisions that I, and others, have posted in the "posted by doctors" section.

Most people can wind up with very acceptable scars with a bit of planning and postop care.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians