Im 19 & i got some questions

im 19 now... i started to notice a slight hairline at 18... being 19 now its not very bad at all but its gonna get there. i wanna know what people have tryed and has been succesful... i rather go the herbal way... but im willing to try anything. im takin mood max now and havent noticed anything (its only the 3rd day tho.) but i dunno. im willing to even goto a doctor if thats what people will suggest.

i just quit smoking ciggarettes and pot. and will be free of both for the rest of my life. im gonna do some research of my own and will post my 2cence on this site when im done. but thanks for any imput.

im 19 now... i started to notice a slight hairline at 18... being 19 now its not very bad at all but its gonna get there. i wanna know what people have tryed and has been succesful... i rather go the herbal way... but im willing to try anything. im takin mood max now and havent noticed anything (its only the 3rd day tho.) but i dunno. im willing to even goto a doctor if thats what people will suggest.

i just quit smoking ciggarettes and pot. and will be free of both for the rest of my life. im gonna do some research of my own and will post my 2cence on this site when im done. but thanks for any imput.

I have one word for you - "Propecia" Since you are only 19, you have a very good chance of re-growing the hair that you have lost and/or maintaining all of your existing hair.

ItzMeCorey,

I wouldn't waste your time with herbs. No controlled studies have been done on saw palmetto for hair loss. If I were you I would get on Propecia right away. After talking to your doctor, of course. You're young enough that you may be able to halt your hair loss and keep a considerable amount of your hair. I can't imagine your hair loss having progressed very far at the age of nineteen.

GuitarPlayer

Ditto the above 2 posts. Consult with a reputable Doc to make sure there's no reason you shouldn't start on Propecia (Finasteride). It's the only thing proven for regrowth and maintenance of hair as we get older.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

I'm 39, just had my HT procedure, 1500 graphs. From my own experience those herbal supplements are a waste of money and hope. I started using rogaine in my 20's, it seemed to slow the hair loss and thinning, I stopped using it after a couple of years, too much trouble, I just kept my hair buzzed. Never tried propecia, I heard it works if you are young and just starting to thin, and loose hair. You may grow tits though.

You may grow tits though.

HAhhahahahaha!!!

1,614 with Dr. Pistone on 2/3/06 in Marlton, NJ.

As long as the moon shall rise

As long as the rivers flow

As long as the sun shall shine

And the grass will grow

Let me listen, I will learn to speak

The old language

Yes, I yearn to bathe in blue skies

And fall apart from the world of machines

Regain my feet and my pounding heart

My Hair Loss Weblog

Propecia and Minoxidil are the only proven items. Don't waste any time on anything else. Nizoral shampoo would compliment this routine as well. Other than those you are wasting money

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Originally posted by Mrjb:

Propecia and Minoxidil are the only proven items. Don't waste any time on anything else. Nizoral shampoo would compliment this routine as well. Other than those you are wasting money

I am using Nizoral, but what makes it good?

And the grass will grow

The old language

My Hair Loss Weblog

I copied and pasted this off the net;

Hair Loss Remedy: Nizoral (Ketoconazole) Shampoo

Drug Type Antiandrogen, Imidazole Antimycotic Antifungal

Availability OTC in 1% formula, Prescription 2% formula (OTC in most other countries)

Notes This is an antifungal shampoo primarily for the treatment of seborrhatic dermatitis. The active ingredient Ketoconazole has some antiandrogenic effects, but it is unknown whether the amount in the shampoo is absorbed. If it helps with hair loss it may work in a way other than as an antiandrogen. It is definitely a good shampoo for making hair look thicker.

Claimed Results None.

Observed Results Some prevention of loss, possible mild regrowth.

Clinical Results Similar to topical Minoxidil/Rogaine.

Testing Well tested (FDA approved).

Safety/Side Effects Possible mild irritation.

Gender Either.

Smiling & laughing does wonders for the soul!

First of all, meet a good dermatologist.

You are too young to be meddling in medicines and combinations thereof without expert guidance.

How much hair loss do you have? It may be very minimal (something like coming of age temple recessions), or you may have just a temporary telogen effluvium. If you get on medicines right now and notice improved hair growth 6 months down you will never be able to figure out whether it was your changed habits (regular hours, no pot, less stress, balanced diet, vitamins) or finasteride or some herbal that did it.

7500 grafts till now. All by Dr. Arvind/Dr.A, New Delhi.

They include strip FUHT, FUE and body hair grafts.

Hoping to accomplish full hair restoration.

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds like your getting good advice here.Propecia/finasteride may be prescribed,this can stop/slow down your hair loss and may possibly even regrow some hair (but this is unlikely.)Oh,you can also get a newer tablet,i think its called duaesteride?and may be better but i'm not sure?There is some caution as to whether contact by the pregnant female/conception whilst using propecia may contribute to genital deformity of the foetus/unborn child.I think this is very rare and not sure if actually proven?There is also the laser comb which some are raving about but i have never tried it.Think you can buy it for ??250.00 I would say dont go down the hair transplant route yet.At your age you'll be playing catch up game,you may lose then replace then lose etc.I think a surgeon would advise you not to anyway.In years to come there may be more efficient ways to treat hair loss.There is always the shaven/grade 2 haircut you could go for,you may have a shaped head that suits this.You can use camoflages like Dermatch/Toppick/Nanogen etc,these can be very effective but you tend to have a routine of having to apply them daily etc.Anyway,hope this helps.Good luck

Question: what would Propecia do for this person? If he is losing hair at the hairline, Propecia is useless, right? I thought Propecia worked on the mid to back and crown?

And the grass will grow

The old language

My Hair Loss Weblog

I defiantly don't think I would use the term useless; it's just not as effective at regrowth like it is at the middle and crown (look at Merek's clinical studies). Even if it slows the loss dramatically, stabilizes or stops (even without regrowth) its progress in the right direction. Again, I believe it all depends on the person, history, etc.

Smiling & laughing does wonders for the soul!

Listen and listen very closely. I wish I was 19 and had heard of propecia. I swear, things would have been so much different for me. I started, well my barber started noticing my hairloss when I was still in high school at the age of 18. If I had heard of propecia, forget rogain and the herbal stuff, I would have started using it the second I had heard about it. I am now 29 and entering 30 in 2 months. I have been using propecia for about 4 years and have gained alot of hair that I was loosing.

I have done so many things, I have even went to the extreme of putting olive oil and crushed garlic on my head and wearing it during sleep. If you are really worried about loosing your hair, and if you are 19 and have noticed hair loss, I would strongly recommend using propecia.

When you have the sexual side effects dont give up, try it for 6 to 8 months and see if the side effects do go away, thats if you get any. When you are 25 or 30 you will be very thankfull that you have found this forum and have learned about propecia. One more thing, I have not had any regrowth or slowing down in the temple area. If that is where you are loosing or thinning than I would just say skip it and start thinking about using propecia when your crown or mid scalp starts thinning.