Does anyone wish they had not had a HT??

This question is specifically directed towards those who have gone to a recommended doctor (I realize how some will cringe at this question). This is not a question to flame any doctor or an endless discussion on the hair mills.

Simply, I am just curious if looking back, any of you had wished that maybe you had not gone through with the HT procedure.

Thanks,

Eman

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

This question is specifically directed towards those who have gone to a recommended doctor (I realize how some will cringe at this question). This is not a question to flame any doctor or an endless discussion on the hair mills.

Simply, I am just curious if looking back, any of you had wished that maybe you had not gone through with the HT procedure.

Thanks,

Eman

My initial HT thread:

You are asking a lot of important questions. Thats why I think you really deserve to have a great result. You have done your homework!

I personally just had my HT done 3 weeks ago so the real results are still around 11 months away but I'm very optimistic. icon_smile.gif

4374 grafts-7/2/2008-Dr Rahal

485 singles

2336 doubles

1526 triples

16 quads

9809 total hairs

I'm sure there is a small percentage of ppl who went to great doctors that didn't get the result they were looking for. Most of the time this has to do with expectations.

If you have realistic expectations and choose a great doctors, you'll be happy.

- badger

3279 grafts with Dr Gabel - 06/12/08

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Gabel

4 Months into the first megasession, I realized I would need at least one more.

I'm at 7 months and I'm not "happy" for a number of reasons: The scar is wide through the whole length and it always has been from day 10 post op, the transplanted area was not well "connected" to one of the sides, the hairline density leads me to believe not all the grafts grew, and the hairline jaggies are too large which makes it detectable close up. THe hairline design is so-so and asymetrial-- I dont think it looks natural, but I think the Doctor chose a narrower hairline based on overall balance considerations, but it only looks good when combed one direction. When combed the opposite direction, the hairline looks "wrong" for lack of a better word.

There were some communication problems on the design of the hairline. (I told him I wanted the hairline to be more striaght, but I think the term used by HT docs is "broad" I gave up pressing for changes and deferred to his wisdom on the matter). If he gave me the hairline that I wanted I would maybe have looked less natural overall given the crown is not finished, so I think this is a balance issue and he probably made the right call although he could have planted more symmetrical so that combing either left or right looks ok. He came down farther on one side, the "center" of the hairline is about 1-2cm to the left. Very subtle but I notice it.

So there are several things out of the docs control that did not go well (scar, maybe poor growth) and the hairline jaggies he used are too pronounced and frankly make the work look unnatural clse up. I think he could have planted down farther on the one side (like he did the other) and connected better to the side. Given the limitations, I need to be careful when styling to hide the problems.

I think all these problems can be addressed in a second session. I feel the jaggies are too pronounced and this may be because the hair behind them did not grow well, and that the hairline symmetry and connection could have been handled better with a minimum (200-400) grafts. When styling, I have to use forward growing side hair to cover the transition between side and new hairline.

Also forgot to add that the relative density is not uniform. While the hairline was dense packed at (probably) twice the density of behind, the hairline is currently less dense that everywhere else. They say more growth is in store so I'll have to wait and see.

Overall I look better, but there are some issues.

On the plus side, the new hair has a "memory" and generally grows in the same direction which gives it some cohesiveness. Also, the hair is somewhat fine and the hairs themselves do not look unnatural leaving the scalp (with exception of jaggies). No plugginess or root effect. Im glad my hair is not that coarse.

BTW, I went to a doc who is condidered in the top-5 consistently.

To summarize, If I had known that I would be where I am after only one 4000+ HT, I probably would have shaved and forgot about it. OTH, given that I will probably look quite good If I can get another 3000 in a second pass, (and I feel that I already look better) I suspect when all is said and done i will be happy.

Tough call.

" for a number of reasons: The scar is wide through the whole length and it always has been from day 10 post op, the transplanted area was not well "connected" to one of the sides, the hairline density leads me to believe not all the grafts grew, and the hairline jaggies are too large which makes it detectable close up. THe hairline design is so-so and asymetrial-- I dont think it looks natural, but I think the Doctor chose a narrower hairline based on overall balance considerations, but it only looks good when combed one direction. When combed the opposite direction, the

Would you mind sharing who your doctor was? Do you have any pictures? Thanks in advance. icon_smile.gif

485 singles

2336 doubles

1526 triples

16 quads

9809 total hairs

No, I'm not going to share my doctor or post any pictures. I want to retain complete anonymity. I dont want to bash my physician but I also want people researching this to realize its a complicated/imperfect procedure.

[Please dont PM me for the Doctors name because I will not share.]

I dont believe the doctor made any eggregious errors and most of the problems can probably be addressed in a follow up procedure. I also am only 7 months so the density and pronounced jaggies may resolve themselves.

My point is that Hair Transplantation, when done by the best of the best, is an imperfect operation. The doctor is working with limited resources and makes judgement calls based on this and tries to account for variabilty in healing, yield, growth, etc.

I think the root of the problems (i.e. being poorly connected on one side, and pronounced jaggies) may be attributed to low hairline yield with predominantly singles. The situation may improve.

As far as the scar is concerned, the doctor is known to stand behind his work and I believe that after two procedures, a scar revision or FUE may be necessary to bring the width down. As it is, I cant go below about 1.5" on sides. Even at that lenght, the scar is detectable depending on how the hair is combed. Unfortuantely, even when combed well, I appear to have "hat head" with the outline of the scar faintly visible in the growth of the hair. I am working on styling around this and this may resolve itself in time.

I think I look better than before, but I am doubtful that this growth represents 1/10th of my native hair. (About 9000 hairs moved) Also am very aware that the permanent side hairs account for about 50% of the result, and if I recede downwards significantly, I will be royally screwed.

HT should be a very calculated decsion and despite the best efforts of top docs, all patients do not turn out as planned.

I've got another 5 months to wait before I give final comments and maybe go public.

No one in public, other than bald/balding guys have looked at my hair, so I dont think its detectable as a HT except by those in the know.

OTH, I was a NW5+ and I will never be bald again! Even if the hair growth stops improving, I look better than I did altho it requires some careful styling. I think with a second procedure to fill in gaps, broaden the hairline a bit and connect better to the sides, and to fill in the crown, I will look good.

I'm sorry you are having regrets. I understand you want to keep your privacy. I hope in the coming months you get really good results in every way. icon_smile.gif

485 singles

2336 doubles

1526 triples

16 quads

9809 total hairs

Thanks guys for the responses. Keep them coming!

Emperor, you are at 7 months and I hope that it will only improve from here. You have many more months of growth left, so keep your chin up.

I ask the question more specifically because I want to know how many of you wished that maybe you should have just shaved my head and moved on with life.

In April, I shaved my head completely and did not like it. I, just shaved it again to a level 2, and do not mind it as much at this level, but still want to go ahead with a HT.

I just want to get each honest thoughts again without flaming any of the doctors...

My initial HT thread:

I think this is an especially important question for younger patients. OFten I find yound patients in their twenties single and starting to see the early effects of androgenetic alopecia. THey are trying to keep up with their friends, women and and their own self esteem. I recently had one young patient I convinced to try shaving his head. HE was 19 and destined to be a NW7. His expectations were too unrealistic for HT in the long run. He did shave his head and he is very happy now. ANother patient I know is now married with kids who started early with his transplants before he was married. He confided he did it to look better because he was single. Now that he is married he doesn't feel the same way about his hair as when he was younger and he stated he probably would not have done it. BEcause he too was destined to be a NW6, he has gone through multiple procedures by multiple physicians in an effort to keep up with his ongoing hair loss. It is just not that important now to him.

I do strongly caution any young patient(generally less than 25) out there to think twice before starting HT. It is a process that one neeeds to be committed to now and when you are 50. It is not a short term solution.

Emperor-

If you look at the blogs and archive of photos people have posted, you'll see that the vast majority of growth seems to come at 8-10 months. It's not uncommon to have 50% or so growth at the 7 month stage. I've even see a number of people who looked pretty good at 12 months and excellent and 14-18. I've also seen plenty of people with great results who really didn't look very good at all at 7 months. If you went to a top doc, I wouldn't make any judgments about the procedure at this stage. I know it must be hard because it must feel like you've been waiting forever to see the results. Good luck.

Guest wanthairs

emporer...

at 7 months, i was very dissapointed. Now, it all looks great and I look forward to a second session when i can afford it.

Dr. Mejia-

I agree that younger patients (myself included) should be aware of the progressive nature of MPB before going forward with their HT. However, one thing young patients do have on their side is technology. I will say a patient should not solely rely on this to solve their future hair-loss quandries. Although, IMO, its a forgone conclusion further improved surgical technology, improved medication as well as hair cloning will be available within atleast the next 20 years. Heck, if they can clone goats, chimps, etc they can clone hair follicles. It's not a matter of if they can but when. The high demand for this will inspire someone to start a company providing this service. From what i've read, it's already in it's initial stage of development. Surely it will go through some trial and error and likely need some refinement, but its clearly on the horizon.