26 yo seeking advice -please help

I know its only an estimate.

But Bill, with a similar hairline to birdys, do you think you could get one HT that would last for a couple of years?

Just take a guess, im sure my doctor will give me an opinion as well, but i am interested in your thoughts.

I will take meds.

But im thinking, because i only want the front filled in, i wont suffer alot of shock loss and therefore, my HT will atleast be ok for 2 years?

I am thinking of getting 1300 grafts.

Is shockloss usually less with a HT on the hairline as oppossed to the crown?

If your getting a HT on your hairline

firstly - with regard to the recipient site and scaring? do people with darker skin or lighter skin usually have more obvious scaring?

If i got 1300 grafts, wait 2 weeks for the scabs etc to fall off? Is there anyway i could hide the fact i got a HT or everyone would know?

Can concealer, make up etc hide the scaring? anyone gone down this road?

Would you anticipate alot of redness/puffiness etc for a long time post op?

guy- I have been putting a lot of thought into this and may wait until my hairloss progresses before getting a HT. If I get a HT now, my front forlock will probably recede soon, requiring further surgeries within a couple years time. I am finding that there are very few HT doctors that seem to discuss such realities with younger patients -they are often more than ready to take your money.

But the other side of the equation is, if i get it soon, I can probably put off getting another one for a couple of years....

And at that time, they can just touch it up, rather than have a massive HT.

and I think just for the peace of mind its probably better to get it sooner than later. I might be wrong though.

im 29 is that too young to get one? what do you guys think?

But Bill, with a similar hairline to birdys, do you think you could get one HT that would last for a couple of years?

You do realize you are asking me impossible questions right?

The answer is "possibly" but as hair loss is progressive and happens at different rates for everyone.

Not to mention the number of grafts you will need also depends on your hair characteristics. My advice would be to post some pictures in a new thread and ask for feedback to see what our veteran members say. We'll all be able to get a better idea of where you at at that point.

Bill

Birdy,

My hair loss was very similar to yours. You can see the early results of my ht, by looking at the photo albums, back in march I posted showing results after 6 months. The title of the post is "6 months progress." I had 1700 grafts.

Anyhow, I am very grateful that I did it. I look much better different now. I was 38 when I had it done. I know everyone says this a lot, but people who have not seen me in a while say I look great, and that something is different, but they can't figure out what.

If I were you and had the funds, I would do it and I would lower the front hairline a bit also. Of course, only with a top-notch doctor.

I would also use propecia/rogaine and Nizoral.

Best of Luck.

guy- Yes depending on the hairline, several doctors have told me I could get less than 2000 graphs (roughly 1500-1800).

Some of the "top" doctors (with the best results I have seen) suggested 2500 graphs to fill in everything including the temples. I am a bit hesitant to go that far so early.

alsocooleyfied-

I see your results are very good with only 1700 graphs. My conern is that you are 38 while I am only 26. My hairloss will probably proceed much farther by the time I am your age. Maybe I am being overly cautious but I think I should minimize the amount of surgical trauma to my scalp at such a young age. Having said that I have to admit that I have been quite unhappy with how my hair looks right now. It is a hard thing to deal with at such a young age.

• 2 months later...

Hey Vince,

Hope you are doing well. Did you decide on a date yet?

I have been waiting to see more FUE results from doctors. I would like to avoid the strip scar. The recent Armani, Feller, and Wolf sessions with FUE look promising but very expensive.

I have been on propecia for almost 4 months and I am starting to see some minor regrowth. My hairline shed a fair amount during the first couple months using the drug. This loss could have been a result of my natural recession but it is very hard to say.

Right now I am hesitant to get an HT in the hairline without knowing how far my future loss will progress. I may wait until my hair has receded closer to NOR 3-4. I currently comb my hair forward in a way that reduces the appearance of the recession.

I am also dreading having to explain all of this to my girlfriend... oy!

I was booked for an HT in december but was so damn busy and far away that i had to cancel icon_frown.gif Strip scar is a scary thought isn't it? haha No normal guy has a bazillion dollars for Fue from some of these docs. I too am keeping a close eye on everyone's recent Fue procedures. Seeing what the yield will be etc. etc.

The only side i had when i started propecia was sore nuts for like 2 weeks! haha That went away tho :P Seen no improvement nor has it worsened any. That's fine with me icon_smile.gif I feel your pain on telling the gf about all this shit. I think most women really don't understand,but if she really cares about you she will support you and not crack too many jokes! icon_smile.gif