I freaked out and left before they started my HT.....

Guest modmanTX

Guest modmanTX

So here's my story:

My background- I started loosing my hair when I was 18. When I was 22, and very stupid I might add, I went through that procedure where they literally stitch a hairpiece to your head. I wore that for 2 years before having it removed and switching to a conventional hairpiece. After wearing a hairpiece for 12 years I looked into alternatives and started on a regimen of various drugs, topicals and vitamins. After following the regimen for 10 months I actually grew back at least 70 percent of the hair I had lost. I basically went from a Norwood 5 to a Norwood 3 (you can see pics at my web site: http://www.bryguy.net/hair.htm ) I stopped wearing a hairpiece 3 months ago and scheduled a HT with Dr. Lehr in Oklahoma City last month. The HT was suppose to happen yesterday, Wednesday, July 27th. I decided to get the HT because I was still very thin in the front and I didn't like the idea of taking 8 pills and using two topicals every day for the rest of my life.

The day of the HT:

On the day before the HT everything was going fine with the exception of one thing ??“I'd been battling a sinus infection. I was worried about being sick the week of my HT so I went to the doc for some meds he prescribed Augmentin ??“which I started taking Monday morning. On Tuesday night, the night before my HT, I drove up to Oklahoma City from Dallas and noticed that I was having some stomach issues ??“obviously caused by the Augmentin. I made it a point to wake up an hour earlier than I would have the next morning so that I would have enough time in the bathroom just in case I was still having issues. I of course only got about 3 good hours of sleep that night because I was a little nervous. I woke up, ate a healthy breakfast (on advice of Dr. Lehr's pre-op prep literature) and headed out to his office for my HT.

When I entered the room where they perform the procedure the first thing I noticed was a pungent smell. It was something that you could tell the manufacture tried to make smell pleasant but you could still tell it was a hospital smell. It really bothered me for some reason. I sat down and Dr. Lehr started working with me in front of a mirror on where my hairline could/should be. Then it started.... I started feeling light headed ??“like I needed to lay down. I broke out in a cold sweat and the Doctor suggested that I lay down and drink some ice water. I actually felt what some might call a "fight or flight" sensation... in that I felt the urge to "get the hell out of there". It was weird because I'd never felt it before. While laying down I began to feel much better but then my stomach started telling me that I needed to visit a bathroom ASAP. I don't want to get in to the crude details, but the visit wasn't pretty... the Augmentin obviously was doing a number on my stomach. Dr. Lehr was very nice about it all and after a few min. we started working on my hairline again. Then he started marking out the donor area on the back of my head. While he was doing that I started getting that feeling again: light headed, cold sweat, etc. I went through the whole thing again: lay down, stomach upset, unpleasant visit to the bathroom. After I recovered the Doctor started talking about whether or not we should continue. He was so cool and so nice about it all. I was in total disbelief.... I had never experienced anything like that before. He told me that it would be OK to call it off and that if I felt like I would have to continually get up and head to the bathroom that it probably wouldn't be a good idea to continue. My concern was that with the way my stomach felt, I felt like I couldn't relax and let the "relaxation meds" do their job. I felt like if I took meds that made me feel loopy I wouldn't be able to control my stomach and something ugly would happen. So I decided to call it off and leave. Dr. Lear was so nice about it and I felt horrible. He refunded all of my money and told me that he knows how bad Augmentin can affect ones stomach.

I just don't get it. I've never been the squeamish type. I'm a mans-man. I SCUBA dive, drive a Yamaha R-6 and have my pilots license. I've had my tonsils removed, donated blood and even went through that procedure where they stitched a hairpiece to my head. (it wasn't fun, but I endured it without freaking out) Why did this happen? After I left Dr. Lehr's office and laid down to relax I started trying to figure it all out. I'll admit that when I would imagine the Dr. standing behind me, cutting away and ripping off the donor area I started to get that crazy "fight or flight" feeling again. So what's my problem? I'd like to blame it on the stomach issues, ( I did continue to have MAJOR problems with my stomach for the rest of the day.), but, then again, I know for sure that the Augmentin didn't cause that "fight or flight" sensation. And although my stomach did have major issues I'm sure that the need to visit the bathroom ASAP was due to the adrenalin and other chemicals my body was releasing as a result of the nervous sensation.

I do know that while at the Doctors office my biggest concern was being able to control my stomach while looped on drugs and having the doctor and his staff of female techs (some of them very attractive), working around me. Would I have been able to go through it if I didn't have the stomach issues? I've never felt that nervous sensation before in my life. I've had stitches before and it's really no big deal but when I think about someone standing behind me, cutting on me and ripping a strip of my skin off I start to feel ill. Why didn't I feel this before the day I frickin' showed up for the transplant?

Needless to say I feel defeated. I also feel bad because no matter how nice he is about it the Doctor is still running a business and when people opt. out at the last minute he looses revenue. Before I left his office the lady at the front desk mentioned that the next available appointment would be in September. The funny thing is.... When I think about going back for a second try I'm more nervous about freaking out and wasting their time again than I am about the procedure itself. Still though.... When I imagine sting in that chair with the doctor sitting behind me stitching me up it makes me feel sort of ill. Maybe I don't want it bad enough? Before the day of the HT I felt totally ready for it. I rented some DVDs to watch during the procedure and even imagined what I would talk about with the Dr. and the staff. (Although I now live in Dallas I'm originally from Oklahoma City so I felt like there would be a connection between me and the Doctor and his staff.)

Can anyone out there who has had a HT write a little about going through the "donor extraction" part of the HT. How many shots did they have to give you in the back of your head? Did you feel nauseated during it? Also, when they numb the top of your head in order to implant the follicular units what was that like? I've read that they only give you a few shots at the front of your head ??“to numb the nerves that branch into your scalp.

Thanks,

Bryan

Guest modmanTX

So here's my story:

My background- I started loosing my hair when I was 18. When I was 22, and very stupid I might add, I went through that procedure where they literally stitch a hairpiece to your head. I wore that for 2 years before having it removed and switching to a conventional hairpiece. After wearing a hairpiece for 12 years I looked into alternatives and started on a regimen of various drugs, topicals and vitamins. After following the regimen for 10 months I actually grew back at least 70 percent of the hair I had lost. I basically went from a Norwood 5 to a Norwood 3 (you can see pics at my web site: http://www.bryguy.net/hair.htm ) I stopped wearing a hairpiece 3 months ago and scheduled a HT with Dr. Lehr in Oklahoma City last month. The HT was suppose to happen yesterday, Wednesday, July 27th. I decided to get the HT because I was still very thin in the front and I didn't like the idea of taking 8 pills and using two topicals every day for the rest of my life.

The day of the HT:

On the day before the HT everything was going fine with the exception of one thing ??“I'd been battling a sinus infection. I was worried about being sick the week of my HT so I went to the doc for some meds he prescribed Augmentin ??“which I started taking Monday morning. On Tuesday night, the night before my HT, I drove up to Oklahoma City from Dallas and noticed that I was having some stomach issues ??“obviously caused by the Augmentin. I made it a point to wake up an hour earlier than I would have the next morning so that I would have enough time in the bathroom just in case I was still having issues. I of course only got about 3 good hours of sleep that night because I was a little nervous. I woke up, ate a healthy breakfast (on advice of Dr. Lehr's pre-op prep literature) and headed out to his office for my HT.

When I entered the room where they perform the procedure the first thing I noticed was a pungent smell. It was something that you could tell the manufacture tried to make smell pleasant but you could still tell it was a hospital smell. It really bothered me for some reason. I sat down and Dr. Lehr started working with me in front of a mirror on where my hairline could/should be. Then it started.... I started feeling light headed ??“like I needed to lay down. I broke out in a cold sweat and the Doctor suggested that I lay down and drink some ice water. I actually felt what some might call a "fight or flight" sensation... in that I felt the urge to "get the hell out of there". It was weird because I'd never felt it before. While laying down I began to feel much better but then my stomach started telling me that I needed to visit a bathroom ASAP. I don't want to get in to the crude details, but the visit wasn't pretty... the Augmentin obviously was doing a number on my stomach. Dr. Lehr was very nice about it all and after a few min. we started working on my hairline again. Then he started marking out the donor area on the back of my head. While he was doing that I started getting that feeling again: light headed, cold sweat, etc. I went through the whole thing again: lay down, stomach upset, unpleasant visit to the bathroom. After I recovered the Doctor started talking about whether or not we should continue. He was so cool and so nice about it all. I was in total disbelief.... I had never experienced anything like that before. He told me that it would be OK to call it off and that if I felt like I would have to continually get up and head to the bathroom that it probably wouldn't be a good idea to continue. My concern was that with the way my stomach felt, I felt like I couldn't relax and let the "relaxation meds" do their job. I felt like if I took meds that made me feel loopy I wouldn't be able to control my stomach and something ugly would happen. So I decided to call it off and leave. Dr. Lear was so nice about it and I felt horrible. He refunded all of my money and told me that he knows how bad Augmentin can affect ones stomach.

I just don't get it. I've never been the squeamish type. I'm a mans-man. I SCUBA dive, drive a Yamaha R-6 and have my pilots license. I've had my tonsils removed, donated blood and even went through that procedure where they stitched a hairpiece to my head. (it wasn't fun, but I endured it without freaking out) Why did this happen? After I left Dr. Lehr's office and laid down to relax I started trying to figure it all out. I'll admit that when I would imagine the Dr. standing behind me, cutting away and ripping off the donor area I started to get that crazy "fight or flight" feeling again. So what's my problem? I'd like to blame it on the stomach issues, ( I did continue to have MAJOR problems with my stomach for the rest of the day.), but, then again, I know for sure that the Augmentin didn't cause that "fight or flight" sensation. And although my stomach did have major issues I'm sure that the need to visit the bathroom ASAP was due to the adrenalin and other chemicals my body was releasing as a result of the nervous sensation.

I do know that while at the Doctors office my biggest concern was being able to control my stomach while looped on drugs and having the doctor and his staff of female techs (some of them very attractive), working around me. Would I have been able to go through it if I didn't have the stomach issues? I've never felt that nervous sensation before in my life. I've had stitches before and it's really no big deal but when I think about someone standing behind me, cutting on me and ripping a strip of my skin off I start to feel ill. Why didn't I feel this before the day I frickin' showed up for the transplant?

Needless to say I feel defeated. I also feel bad because no matter how nice he is about it the Doctor is still running a business and when people opt. out at the last minute he looses revenue. Before I left his office the lady at the front desk mentioned that the next available appointment would be in September. The funny thing is.... When I think about going back for a second try I'm more nervous about freaking out and wasting their time again than I am about the procedure itself. Still though.... When I imagine sting in that chair with the doctor sitting behind me stitching me up it makes me feel sort of ill. Maybe I don't want it bad enough? Before the day of the HT I felt totally ready for it. I rented some DVDs to watch during the procedure and even imagined what I would talk about with the Dr. and the staff. (Although I now live in Dallas I'm originally from Oklahoma City so I felt like there would be a connection between me and the Doctor and his staff.)

Can anyone out there who has had a HT write a little about going through the "donor extraction" part of the HT. How many shots did they have to give you in the back of your head? Did you feel nauseated during it? Also, when they numb the top of your head in order to implant the follicular units what was that like? I've read that they only give you a few shots at the front of your head ??“to numb the nerves that branch into your scalp.

Thanks,

Bryan

Hey man-I just had my HT 2 weeks ago. I did not read your entire topic-cause I've rushed for time but it sounds like you were having a bad reaction to that medication. My dod told me to not take anything-including over the counter stuff or drink any alchocal for 2 weeks prior. It also sounds like you had a panic attack-which I suffer from as well-very often actually. As far as the numbing needle in teh back of the head-yes that was painful but lasted for 1 minute only. There were many-I'd guess every half ince from ear to ear going across the back. That is all I felt. In fact 2 weeks later my head is still a bit numb. I'm surprised yoru doc didn't warn you about being on other meds pre surgery. He a good doc? Ignore any spelling mistakes-I'm rushing here.

modman....

I know, anxieties can mess you up! It catches up to you. You are expected to perform at a higher level than the rest but, you age. Get over it.

If I was to explain it, it is less invasive than any dentist you have ever went to. No doubt, it is invasive. They cut the back of your scalp and slice up your forehead... big deal! You don't feel a thing. My guess, you are looking for a way out, and you found it. Apparentely, you don't want it bad enough.

Take it from me, I was more concerned about the 2 1/2 hour drive to and from my appointment than I was about the 6 hours I was there. If you go to a recommended dr. from this site, from what I hear, your in good hands.

Take it from me, you are, your own worse enemy!

GET OFF THE UNNESSECCERRY MEDS, START EXERCISING AND EAT HEALTHY. A healthy diet and exercise will give you better results against any problem, than drugs. It will clear your mind, body and soul. Stop watching TV, and start concentrating on you, and humanity.

I'm tough against you, because I've been there. Exercise and an healthy diet is the key. NO BEEF!

These surgeons are not out to mess you up! Only to make you feel good- about you. Yes, it is all about you. Right where we started from.

If woman don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy -Steve Smith 'The Red Green Show'

modmanTX,

I had my first HT just 7 days ago so it is still fresh on my mind. (no pun intended)

I have to admit I definitely felt the first few injections into the back of my head. But it was no worse than going to the dentist. Actually the sting of the needle wasn't as bad as the feeling of the area being puffed up as it was being injected. Honestly after the first two shots, the next few were painless as the back of my head became numb. I have an incision from ear to ear and never even felt the Dr. removing the donor area. By the time I asked if he was done, he had already stitched it up.

The same is true for the top of the head. After the first or second injection, you really cannot feel the rest. During the procedure it felt like I was wearing a football helmet. The Dr. was cutting and inserting grafts but I couldn't feel it. My procedure lasted 8 hours so there were times when they had to inject me again to keep me numb. But those were pretty much painless as well.

I agree with the advice of others. I stopped taking my vitamins and supplements 2 weeks before my surgery. The only thing I did take was vitamin C as directed by the doctor. I also didn't consume alcohol within 1 week of the surgery. The morning of the procedure I ate a light breakfast and but with no coffee or other caffeine. I was definitely nervous sitting in the chair while the staff prepared to get started. But after the first few pokes of the needle I relaxed and settled in.

I think you just had a panic attack which caused you to loose control. I too am a private pilot and I can tell you taking my checkride was way more stressful than getting my HT. I think you just need to have a mental talk with yourself and realize that you've made it through stressful situations in the past and you can make it throught this one as well. Dealing with two minutes of injections is worth it for a lifetime of new hair.

Hope that helps.

BluePony

I had 4 injections on my forehead and these were BY FAR the most unpleasant part of the surgery. My pain level is "average" I would say, but these injections really brought up tears. The next painful bit was the removal of the stitches by my wife 2 weeks post-op. In between those 2 stages (ie during and after surgery), I felt nothing.

3045 FUs with Dr Victor Hasson on 8 June 2004

1836 FUs with Dr Jeffrey Epstein on 2 March 2006

Regimen: 1.25mg Proscar every other day

ModmanTX,

Wow,my heart goes out to you.That sounded rough.I had my HT 4 months ago,{Dr.True-NYC}.He uses a device called the "CompuMed Wand",which he uses to administer the local anesthesia.It is a computer controlled delivery system.It is almost pain free.

It was designed by dentist to replace needle injections.Along with valium,it makes the whole process very comfortable.As for "Augmentin",it was not on their list of over 100 oral meds not to take,but I think going into the procedure without anything in your system would be the best route to take.I hope things work out.

HK

Modman, I can empathize with you in this situation. I have irritable bowel syndrome, which is a chronic, crappy condition (no pun)that I fight every day of my life.

I had a transplant 5 months ago, but I was a little nervous about how my digestive tract was going to behave for 10 hours of surgery. A medication that is my crutch, I had to refrain from for a few days before the procedure because it could cause excessive bleeding.

The morning came, I wasn't feeling all the best, but I popped about 3 immodiums when I woke up...this is normal for me. I wasn't feeling 100% until I took the Valium prescribed for the procedure. It relaxed my whole body, and everything went smoothly after that.

I feel for you, but I think you'll do fine in your next attempt. You won't be takng the Augmentin. If you feel insecure, take 3 immodiums on the morning of the procedure,and definitely take the tranquilizer prescribed when the doctor gives it to you.

I can guarantee you will be ok next time. icon_wink.gif

Hey man. you are suffering from panic attacks I had them for years.

I suggest you read some literature about it. it wasn't your stomach. I sold antibiotics for years and Augmentin was my competitor. it does cause diarrhea but not anxiety.

I suggest you learn as much as quickly as possible about anxiety beacuse it begins to creep in every area of ones life.

panic disorder is a major problem and lots of people dont take it seriousley. it runs in my family-i'm 27 but had my first one in the first grade-my hear started to race and i broke out in a sweat-got tuinnel vision and passed out. fell over from desk and then woke up a minute later- minutes later i was totally fine. it is a chemical imbalance in the brain-don't let anyone tell you you are crazy or you can control it if you really wanted to. it is tough to live with but you are not alone. as far as the HT. i'm worried that your doc didn't instruct you to not be on anything prior. this is a sign (to me anyway) that he might not be the best doc. take some time. do some research and when you are ready-get the HT. i'm so glad i did it after thinking about it for 2 years. i hope i like the outcome-just have to wait 8 months now!