Question regarding bangs

My girlfriend asked if I could find a forum like this one, because she is having a problem with her hair not growing much and her bangs recently broke.

She had some hair coloring done lately and she went to a few different hair stylists and I think she just needs to leave it alone right now.

She was wondering if there is any kind of vitamin or proven methods to make you natural hair grow faster? Thanks in advance.

My girlfriend asked if I could find a forum like this one, because she is having a problem with her hair not growing much and her bangs recently broke.

She had some hair coloring done lately and she went to a few different hair stylists and I think she just needs to leave it alone right now.

She was wondering if there is any kind of vitamin or proven methods to make you natural hair grow faster? Thanks in advance.

• Moderators

Too much blow drying on high heat settings or using a curling iron or crimping iron too long or too often will make your hair very brittle and the hair shafts will break easily. They will either break in half or you get split ends. She needs to stop doing all of that for a while and let the hair grow out.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

BalloonBurst,

Welcome to our community.

I agree with BeHappy. It sounds like your girlfriend's hair is possibly damaged from overstyling.

However, please describe further what you mean when you say her hair is not growing much. Do you mean it's growing slowly or that some hair isn't growing back? Or do some hairs appear thinner, finer, and lighter colored than other hair?

If her hair is growing back slowly and is finer, thinner, and lighter colored - this could be a sign of genetic hair loss.

Bill

• 4 weeks later...
Guest eyebrow

BALLOONBURST, From personal experience, over-coloring can cause serious damage and breakage all the way to the roots and can continue a while. I'm sure she knows to deep-condition and reduce using heat and any drying styling products. What she may not know is that products containing protein - advertised for damaged hair - can cause brittleness and more breakage. Also, some lines like Pantene use polymers and other fillers that are not good for hair!

I am currently taking Biotin, MSM and an Omega complex. I don't know if it's helping but I figure it can't hurt...

Every wal-greens and wal-mart sells hair vitamins and they do make your hair grow about twice as fast. I don't know about making it healthier but it does speed it up icon_smile.gif It's like $7 for a month supply. You gotta' take them with food or they will tear your stomach up.

The vitamins are not going to prevent the hair from breaking due to over processing. She needs to use some sort of hair mask weekly ( as well as a cgood conditioner when washing) to help the integrity of the hair shaft. This will prevent breakage.

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Guest eyebrow

Just want to clarify something... Conditioners and rebuilders containing protein can be helpful for damaged hair in moderation - just not in a daily routine.

I was told to always condition after you wash your hair (especially with dry hair). The masks shold be used weekly or so ..

Personally, I wash my hair every 3 days or so as I think it is better.

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Guest eyebrow

More clarification... Absolutely, you should condition damaged hair. You just shouldn't use protein products everyday. I was surprised to learn that these products advertised to treat damaged hair can actually make it brittle and more likely to break.

Olive oil makes a great natural adjunct for conditioning damaged hair. Just heat it in the microwave, comb it through and leave it on a while and then shampoo and condition.