Propecia question

m32

Is it bad to take propecia for a few months and stop? I noticed my hair line got worse when I took it and so I stopped. Now I am afraid the hair that fell out will not grow back. That sucks because it wasn't really all that bad before, but now(i think)it is. Will it grow back? I am 32 years old and my hair is just a little thin in the front and that was mostly from the propecia. Am I balding or is it normal for my hair to thin as I get older? I noticed a slight change at 26, but only started to notice it bad around 28/29. If I ask people if my hair loss is noticable most of them will say "what hair loss..?" Those that say it is a little thin will say if i cut it it wont look as bad (I have very long hair-past my shoulders). If hair loss is only visual to you and no one else, is it worth taking the drugs? I mean I feel like i messed up by getting on the propecia. I feel like I was better off before.

Is it bad to take propecia for a few months and stop? I noticed my hair line got worse when I took it and so I stopped. Now I am afraid the hair that fell out will not grow back. That sucks because it wasn't really all that bad before, but now(i think)it is. Will it grow back? I am 32 years old and my hair is just a little thin in the front and that was mostly from the propecia. Am I balding or is it normal for my hair to thin as I get older? I noticed a slight change at 26, but only started to notice it bad around 28/29. If I ask people if my hair loss is noticable most of them will say "what hair loss..?" Those that say it is a little thin will say if i cut it it wont look as bad (I have very long hair-past my shoulders). If hair loss is only visual to you and no one else, is it worth taking the drugs? I mean I feel like i messed up by getting on the propecia. I feel like I was better off before.

Well some people experience an initial shedding when starting Propecia. The shedding is usually when removal of DHT from the follicles (the cause of hairloss) it can shock a number of follicles to enter into the 'resting' phase. You shouldn't worry about the shedding as it usually means that you are responding to the treatment. You should expect to see these hairs (and hopefully some new ones) within 4-6 months.

I know it is tough to see some shedding but it is generally a good sign, and you will most likely be better off in the longterm with Propecia.

1344 grafts with Ron Shapiro - June 2006

This is really the first time I've heard where a patient felt they were worse off for trying Propecia. I've seen great results with Propecia for myself and the feedback on it has aways been either positive or neutral. Our clinic always recommend that a patient stays on it for at least one year. Again, I've never heard being on Propecia for couple months would cause permanent damage to hairs or follicles.

I second JakeVig's opinion. Not being on Propecia myself, I have to go with the voice of the experienced.

Just to shed some further light on the topic you should read the article on propecia at:

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/productreviews/men/propecia/

I will include an excerpt about shedding:

SHEDDING: Our hair naturally goes through growth and resting cycles. Each hair has its own cycle, and at any given time, a large % of follicles are "resting" while the remainder are "growing" as hair on the scalp. When Propecia enters the system, the sudden removal of DHT from the follicles can sometimes shock a large number of follicles to enter into the resting phase at the same time. Its known as a synchronization of the hair cycle. To the layman, it's frequently known as the "shedding sh*ts". Panic can set in as the person who sought to stop their hair loss, suddenly see's it get worse right before their eyes. The change is typically not noticeable to anyone but the one on the treatment, but its enough to cause many to freak out and lose their stability. We are here to inform you to NOT worry about shedding. If you are shedding, this means you are responding to the treatment. A larger number of hairs have entered into dormancy so that they can rest, and rejuvenate in 2 or 3 months free of any DHT affliction. It's as simple as that. Shedding rarely lasts more than 4 months, and typically results in a sudden "awakening" of large numbers of hairs.

Thanks for the help. I am very torn at this point. I don't know if i should go with an HT or not. My thin hair is not that noticable, but if I point it out to someone they can tell. I don't know if I should continue with propecia or rogain or if I should just get an HT and be done. I went to an HT doctor yesterday and he said 2 times, possibly one should fix the problem, but I just don't know if I need to do that. They say propecia dosn't work for the hair line, but my friend swears it worked in front for him. What should I do? When is it the right time to get it done? If my hair is thin in the front what is the best thing to do?

Maybe you're just not ready for a HT at this point. You should really look into every other option and look into HT if it's something you really want and you are ready for it. The thing not to do is stress over the situation (this could lead to hairloss). You're obviously doing some research on the topic, just try not let it consume you. Good luck.

m32,

A HT is not a cure for hairloss, granted the transplanted hair is permanent but your native hair surrounding your HT will continue to receed as it did before your hairloss. Personally if I were you I will get back on and stay on Propecia for up to 6-12 months. If you do not get the desired results with Propecia you can add Minoxidil (Rogaine) to your hairline. The problem with each of these treatments is that you have to use them indefinately if you want to keep the hair that you have regained or maintained with them. Minioxidil is a messy regimen so I would only recommend it if you are prepared to stay on it indefinately. Note: it is recommended to get on Propecia at least 3-6 months before your HT as it will strengthen your existing hair minimizing the amount of shockloss.

Basically the above treatments work best on the crown however some people have gotten regrowth on the hairline especially with Minioxidil. Whatever you do, do not jump into getting a HT without doing your research. A HT is a lifelong comittment, after you have a HT you wont be able to shave your head bald without the donor scar being visible. If you are young chances are that you will require further HT's in the future. After you have a HT most of your transplanted hair will fall out (70-90%) and will only start to grow back slowly after 3-6 months after. If after your research you do decide you want to have a HT then the most important thing is that you pick an excellent doctor. A HT is not like other plastic surgery, only the best HT doctors in the world can ensure you get an excellent and totally natural result. Some of the best doctors in the world are listed in the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians:

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/coalition-physicians.asp

Whatever you do do *NOT* go to a hairmill like Bosley, or MHR, etc. They have ruined the lives of many of their patients.

Hope this helps!

Thanks again guys. Jakevig, I am 32, is that young? Do you think I would need alot more surg? I would say right now I am a norwood 1. The ht doc said I have close to 50% hairloss. I guess that sounds like a lot, but again it only looks a little thin and only noticable under certain situations. He did say that my hairline hasn't moved and probably wont it will just continue to get thinner as the years go by. He also said my hair is typical for a 32 year old. Am I freaking out? Am i just getting older or am i really lsing my hair? All of my family have hair. My dad was thin before he died, but he was almost 60. My grandfathers on both sides have more hair than I do. I just don't know what to do, but I know I am not happy. Its so bad sometimes I don't even go to work or go out. I have to do something or life will pass me by while I go crazy over my looks.

Originally posted by m32:

Thanks again guys. Jakevig, I am 32, is that young? Do you think I would need alot more surg? I would say right now I am a norwood 1. The ht doc said I have close to 50% hairloss. I guess that sounds like a lot, but again it only looks a little thin and only noticable under certain situations. He did say that my hairline hasn't moved and probably wont it will just continue to get thinner as the years go by. He also said my hair is typical for a 32 year old. Am I freaking out? Am i just getting older or am i really lsing my hair? All of my family have hair. My dad was thin before he died, but he was almost 60. My grandfathers on both sides have more hair than I do. I just don't know what to do, but I know I am not happy. Its so bad sometimes I don't even go to work or go out. I have to do something or life will pass me by while I go crazy over my looks.

Well I can say if your only an NW1 at 32 then you sound like you are in pretty good shape. I was a NW3 at 27 when I had my HT done. I am now using meds dilligently to maintain as much of my existing hair as possible. Though even at NW1 it sounds like you have diffuse thinning, i.e. thinning evenly on top of your head. Im guessing that when the doctor says you have 50% hairloss it sounds like it means that your density is 50% of what it used to be. The thing about thinning hair is that you don't notice it until it gets below 50% of normal density. So normal density is around 80-100cm2 (which is usually the density of your donor area). A similar illusion of density can be achieved with just 50cm2. Its only once you get below that will you notice your hair thinning. I would post some pics of your hair so you can get more informed advice.

The problem with thinning hair as opposed to a receeded hairline is that with your HT you are looking to add density amongst existing hair rather than filling in 'bald spots'. Transplanting amongst existing hair will cause 'shockloss', where the trauma of the surgery can cause your existing hair to fall out. Most of this shockloss is temporary i.e. it will grow back in the next hair cycle in about 6 months. But for hair that is about to fall out anyway some of this shockloss can be permanant. Effectively this means for the first 2-3 months post op your hair may look worse than what it was pre op. For examples of shockloss I would look at the photo gallery of Bill and Bushy.

The best way to minimize the amount of shockloss is to get on the meds to strengthen your existing hair. I would recommend that you at least get on Propecia and use Nizoral Shampoo 3 times a week. If you are obsessing over your hairloss (like me) than I would also add Minioxidil to your regimen, only if your prepared to stay on it indefinately. Note: Propecia and Minioxidil are the only FDA approved meds available for hair loss. Nizoral provides a healthy scalp for your meds to work the best. So if you get on Propecia/Nizoral and Minioxidil than you can take comfort in that you are taking the most effective treatments for hairloss.

Also going to an excellent doctor who can do minimally invasive incisions is crucial in minimizing shock loss. Generally adding density will mean that you will have to cut your hair short. I had my density added by Dr Ron Shapiro who used state of the art 10x magification and tiny custom blades to place grafts in between my existing hair. I had minimal shockloss as a result although your mileage will vary.

Hope this helps!

Are you happy with your HT or do you regret it?

You say you can't shave your head, but why would you spend all this money and travel to shave your head? To me that sounds like the only set back. I don't like having to get more surg, but if I busted my front teeth out and the doc said I would have to keep getting surg to keep them I wouldn't even blink. To me looks are looks. If I were hurt in an accident and needed 10 surg to fix my face I would say lets do it. No regret. Loss of hair, missing teeth, scar face, no dif, all looks, all bad, all worth being happy with.

The HT doc I saw wants to start the HT in the back where my hair hasn't thinned yet so that if it ever does I will not have to come back. Also, he said that shock loss usually happens in women and for him, it is rare with men. Is this true or is this guy a quack?

The HT doc I saw wants to start the HT in the back where my hair hasn't thinned yet so that if it ever does I will not have to come back. Also, he said that shock loss usually happens in women and for him, it is rare with men. Is this true or is this guy a quack?

What is this doctor's name? He is most definitely a quack and I would RUN if I were you. Stick around here and do some real research. You do NOT transplant into non-thinning areas! You also usually start from the hairline and mid-scalp and work your way backward, conserving precious grafts for the crown should they ever be needed, transplanting the back of the head LAST. Shock loss doesn't occur with one gender any more than the other. That is an absolutely ridiculous statement. You need to find a good transplant doctor, and at a NW1 with 50% loss (i.e., no balding, no cosmetically significant thinning), you sound like you are NOT a candidate for a hair transplant, just someone who is letting anxiousness about the future overwhelm your judgment. The best thing you can do is get on Propecia NOW and plan on taking it indefinitely. Even if your loss isn't noticeable to anyone but you, taking it will help ensure that you lose no more hair. You don't want to start getting transplants that you don't need and that will shock out more hair than you have now....

Are you happy with your HT or do you regret it?

You say you can't shave your head, but why would you spend all this money and travel to shave your head? To me that sounds like the only set back. I don't like having to get more surg, but if I busted my front teeth out and the doc said I would have to keep getting surg to keep them I wouldn't even blink. To me looks are looks. If I were hurt in an accident and needed 10 surg to fix my face I would say lets do it. No regret. Loss of hair, missing teeth, scar face, no dif, all looks, all bad, all worth being happy with.

I am very happy with my HT. Though, before I had my HT I shaved my head slick bald just to see if I could accept the shaved look. Unfortunately I am unlucky and I do not look good bald so a HT was the only option I had to get back to a satisfactory appearance. If you have a HT than you can pretty much rule out ever shaving your head in the future. As for shockloss it is a very *real* phenomenon, do not listen to a doctor who says it doesnt affect his patients. As I mentioned previously you only want to go to a doctor who is experienced in minimally invasive surgery.

Not only is the doctor a quack, but an unethical quack!. He's trying to rope you in to a life of multiple and unending transplants.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

Just from the pic it looks like you could use a small session. You'd have to have a proper consultation to get the actual number of grafts needed. I hope you heed the advice of many people from this Forum and go with a reputable doctor.

Janna, by what you see here - would I be better off with or without HT? It seems like people on this forum are so against HT. Like it is a really bad thing. I was ready to go, but you guys scared me. Thats why I ask JakeVig if he is happy with his HT. Now I am afraid to get an HT, like I am going to look like a freak when its done. I understand that I need a good Dr., but lets say I go the best of the best will I look worse than now, thinner?

People here are not against HT. We are all against bad HT that are performed by doctors who should not be practicing. There are plenty of people who have had bad experiences. This Forum and other like it are formed to prevent bad work as it negatively alters a person's life. If you go to the best transplant doctor, and you are realistic about your expectations, you will be better off with a HT. The hairloss is bothering you to the point where it criples your everyday life, so start your search. I think Jakevig has great advice and suggestions if you read all his postings. He really has your best interest at heart. I would not recommend the doctor you previously talked about. He gave you some misinformation.

Good luck. I'm rooting for you!

Janna, by what you see here - would I be better off with or without HT? It seems like people on this forum are so against HT. Like it is a really bad thing. I was ready to go, but you guys scared me. Thats why I ask JakeVig if he is happy with his HT. Now I am afraid to get an HT, like I am going to look like a freak when its done. I understand that I need a good Dr., but lets say I go the best of the best will I look worse than now, thinner?

Hi m32,

Thats is a great head of hair you got there. I only notice some slight thinning on your hairline apart from that you look to be in pretty good shape. I would recommend getting on Propecia just to stave off any hairloss in the future and possibly give you back some density. Personally I would consider using Minioxidil just for your hairline for a few months just to see if you are one of the rare few people able to get some regrowth on the hairline. The only problem is that if you do manage to get some regrowth with Minioxidil than you will have to use it indefinately to maintain that hair. Though at least you will be able to avoid a HT.

Truthfully though there is a good chance that you may not get satisfactory regrowth on your hairline. These meds are certainly great for maintaining the existing hair you have but getting good regrowth is generally rare. On this forum waittosee is about the best regrowth I have seen with anyone from meds.

Personally I would be happy with your hair as-is as it doesn't look like you have MPB at all, it appears you are just settling in to your mature hairline. Only if you are self conscious about your hairloss and spend a lot of your day worrying about it would I consider getting a HT. Also since your hairloss is not severe you have the option of FUE which allows you to have a HT without the scar, it is generally more expensive but it means you are able to avoid the scar. Though from my experience after 2 months my scar has healed perfectly and Im unable to locate it by touch or be able to find it with a mirror. Im still not going to risk shaving down to a #1 or #2 but that doesnt bother me since I never used to do that anyway. There is another problem for you with the HT route, you will have to shave your donor area which wont be a problem as it can easily be hidden by your long hair, but the transplanted grafts will be a lot shorter than your existing hair so you may have to style your hair differently to conceal the recipient area. Also you should be prepared to wait 3-6 months for results to come in, and since your hair is really long it looks like many more months for it to match your existing length. Now because you dont look like you have MPB your probably lucky enough to get away with a HT and no meds if you wanted to. Though I would look at your family history just to make sure.

Now the great thing about a HT is that you will get guaranteed results that are permanant. Janna has some good advice in that what you want to try your best to avoid having a bad HT as a bad HT is a lot worse than no HT at all. A good HT can really provide a positive life changing experience (as evidenced by many posts on this forum) and I dont know anyone that ever regrets having a good HT, but a bad HT however is the complete opposite, it can ruin your life leave you with less hair than what you started with make you more self conscious and condem you to a life under hats.

You are lucky to find this forum as some of the best doctors in the world are on display here. You definately want to go with one of them as only they are guaranteed to produce excellent natural results.

Because you are looking to get a HT on your hairline (as opposed to adding general density) you will only want to go to the best doctors in the world. Luckily most of them are in the US. You really dont want geography to be a factor, if someone is not available in your state you most certainly want to travel somewhere that is. From the comments of your previous doctor it definately doesnt sound like advice coming from leading doctor so I would seriously stay clear of him and for that matter anyone else not in the coalition. A HT is not like normal practice surgery only the best doctors in the world can achieve totally natural undetectable results. You will want to look for someone who is able to achieve dense packing with minimally invasive surgery. By dense packing I mean someone who is able to transplant grafts in excess of 50cm2 providing the illusion of full density. Through my own research I found Ron Shapiro to be the best in the world for creating totally natural hairlines though if I lived close to either Dr Rose, Dr Cooley, Dr Epstein, Dr Keene, Dr Alexander or Dr Konior I would not hesitate to go with them either.

Just to recap, I would firstly consider the meds. While you are waiting for the meds to do its magic I would use that time to do further research about the HT process and look at results from doctors to see if a HT is a good option for you.

Hope this helps!

++edit: after seeing your picture: DON'T do it++

I say go for it. You're 32, and with a good doctor checking your hair patern and family history you should have an idea as to where you are headed. Once that is relatively clear, and you plan for future hair loss, go for it. Waiting till you are bald is a dead giveaway that you had HT. Lastly, if you need less than 2k grafts, find a great docotr and get FUE. It will cost a lot more, but well worth it IMO.

m32,

My hair also started receding at about 30 years old. In fact, it looked very similar to yours and then got worse. My sides and back were fine. Just that stupid-looking receding hairline that drove me insane.

In my opinion, you should get back on Propecia and stay on it at least 6-12 months to give it a chance. It usually takes this long to start seeing results. In the meantime, consult with the coalition doctors to get their opinions. Decide on one of those doctors based on their advice and book your HT.

I'll tell you right now, a lot of people will say that your hair is age-appropriate, mature, and blah, blah, blah. That age-appropriate, mature crap annoys the hell out of me (no flames please, just my opinion). I say get advice from the coalition doctors and get the damn HT if they feel that you are a good candidate (and from seeing your picture, it looks like you have good density in your donor area). I've had two HT's and am happier than h*ll that I did it. I don't obsess about my hair like I used to. I don't have to sit in front of the mirror and place the hair just-so to cover up a dicky-looking receding hairline, etc. Do what makes you happy based on the advice you receive from the coalition doctors!

M32,

As I read your concerns I can't help but look back and see how exactly the same I was feeling to how you are now...if not WORSE. I don't know where you are located, but check out Dr. Cooley. He did my ht and the very next day I was with my entire family and nobody noticed a thing. The procedure itself was a snap and his work was impeccable. You can also check out my blog on the main blog page...BIG A

Good luck!