The most impressive changes!

dhuge67

Also, remember to eat six small meals per day instead of three clunkers like most people do. Works out to about once every 2-3 hours. Each small meal should include a quality source of protein and a quality source of carbs.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by YoungGuy:

Good advice. But, I would not have a beginner start with heavy exercise composed of dumbells & compound movements. They'd be likely to do the movements wrong and could hurt themselves. That's why you want to start out with machines, to develop good form for the compound exercises LATER.

It's why people skiing for the first time don't go on black diamond slopes icon_wink.gif

This is bullshit.

Start with compound exercises. You don't have to start heavy, but start with what is relatively heavy for YOU. Machines train a limited range of motion and a less optimal motor pattern is developed.

Just because you don't go down the big hill first (heavy weight) doesn't mean you don't use the proper skis (exercises) when taking the bunny-hill (light weight).

1,614 with Dr. Pistone on 2/3/06 in Marlton, NJ.

As long as the moon shall rise

As long as the rivers flow

As long as the sun shall shine

And the grass will grow

Let me listen, I will learn to speak

The old language

Yes, I yearn to bathe in blue skies

And fall apart from the world of machines

Regain my feet and my pounding heart

My Hair Loss Weblog

I agree with Huge, but I am not as buff so I can't call you out as much. While I agree.. don't go heavy like Dhuge, just heavy respective to your strength level. I am a firm believer that machines are crap compared to free weights when done right, just find a weight level that you can maintain proper form with.

I have done a fair bit of lifting in my lifetime (have pictures too if you don't believe me) so I disagree with some of the advice posted above if you are NOT yet an advanced lifter.

1). Suggesting that beginners do exercises such as Cleans and Snatches is very dangerous without getting proper instructions from a qualified trainer. Plus, most commercial gyms, which are very different from college or military gyms, will not allow you do those two exercises because most don't have the proper equipment e.g. power lifting platforms. Those two exercises are really more geared towards serious atheletes looking to develop exposive strength, not your average joe.

2). Some machines are very useful for doing certain types of isolation exercises such rotator cuff exercises, which I recommend people should spend some time doing before attempting any free weights pressing exercises. Also most beginners will not be able to pullup their body weights. This is another example where cable machines will be a good substitute with pull downs. I do agree that the majority of one's exercise program should be focused on free weights to allow for equal development of stabilizer muscles. But machines definitely have their place.

Here is my advice, realizing most us on this forum probably have full-time jobs and have limited time:

-Weight train 3 times a week. Don't train for two consecutive days in a row. If you are working out as intensly as you are suppose to, going at it again the next day is counter productive. Muscle grows while you are resting, not at the gym.

-When it comes to exercises, stick to the basics compound exercises that have stood the test of time: Squat (don't round your back), deadlift (again don't round your back), benchpress (do rotator cuff exercises prior), Military presses (again rotator cuff exercises prior), Pullups or cable machine pull downs. Reason why I emphasize rotator cuff exercises is because for most guys, unfortunately, the benchpress and chest development is an ego exercise and 9 times out of 10 you will start up with more weights you are handle. Rotator cuff exercises provides good warm and will prevent injuries.

-Each time you go to the gym you should try make progress on at least one of these things: # of reps, # of sets, weight used, or time under tension (speed).

-Getting a good body is 90% diet and 10% exercise. Alot of people don't realize that. To build muscle, you need more calories than your body expend. Don't try to loose fat and build muscle at the same time because calorie-wise they are two contradicting goals. So multiply your weights in lbs by 15 = calories you should intake per day. Spread those calories in a 40% carb, 40% protein, 20% fat ratio. Drink lost of water and spread your calories into 5 or six smaller meals evenly spaced out through the day.

Be consistent and make sure you have a decent head of hair and you should be menshealth coverpage worthy in no time.

You make some good points, but you also make a lot of bad ones. Your average Joe does not want to look average, but he doesn't know any better. If you want to look average, then do what average people do. If you want to be strong, big, and muscular, do big and compound lifts. Olympic lifts like Snatches, even. They aren't hard to learn, even if you just look at step by step pictures of a rep or ask an Oly lifter to show you.

Also, 40% carb intake? Fat intake should be higher than Carb intake. Consume 1/3 of your daily carb intake pre workout, and the rest immediately post workout. In my case, I take in 50 grams of carbs pre workout, and 100 post. It's called Nutrient timing. Buy the book on Amazon for like $7.

Make breakfast a large meal (hopefully a preworkout meal). Start the metabolic fire early in the day, then add a log to the fire every 2 hours.

Kick your own ass in the gym. Nobody ever got big without putting out...unless 40% of their intake was from D-bol tabs.

Later baldies!

And the grass will grow

The old language

My Hair Loss Weblog

I thought I'd add my two cents:

I actually agree more with Younguy on this one. If we are talking about a true "beginner"...in th sense of the word, I'm talking about someone who has no experience with working out at all...or hasn't done it in a long time, I would not have them start out with heavy weights and doing compound exercises. Younguy is right...without working on proper form and technique first, someone could hurt themselves. HOWEVER, I will add that Dhuge is right that if someone wants to lean up and put on mass (muscle) quickly, this is the way to go...but I would only recommend this type of training for a newbie IF a trainer was present. Other than that, starting slower is better even if it doesn't give them the yield they want as quicklly. Form first, intensity later.

Bill

Well just offering my input.

Those posters who advocate safety first are right and know what they are talking about.

Like with my any forum, you have to filter through the info with some plain old common sense. Dhuge67 is saying that "fat intake should be higher than carb intake" - before you go off stuffing yourself with almonds and shugging down olive oil by the bottle, please do some research. And he is advising to buy a $7 book on Amazon - anything info worth $7 can probably be found for free from google.

Anyways I just want to bring this discussion back to hairloss for bit. This thread really struck a note with me because one, I wanted to join in the fun since I'm a health nut also and two, because it just reiterates how our looks is really important to us eventhough vanity is one of the seven deadly sins. I have a picture very similar to what Bill posted i.e. a picture of me with my gym results wearing a CAP! a CAP! Because at times I do wish that my hair can better "match" the rest of me. Maybe after a HT, it will.... fingers crossed.

Awesome thread. Keep it coming.

Guest brent

Dhhuge is right, you have to be intense to make gains. No if ands or buts. That is if you want to separate yourself from the average joes. Technique, safety, diet,etc, all have a very important part in your training regime. If guys are serious they should hire a personal trainer. Not those hacks that work at the gyms but a real professional, like and ex ifbb pro. These guys can tweak your work out and diet to maximize your potential. So much crap advice is given, thats why you see the same guys year after year with the same build. One guy might need more carbs than the other, or less fat. Depends on the induvidual.

Getting a spectacular physique ( not a pretty good one) is extremely difficult, and takes years of hard work and total dedication. Thats why they are so few and far between

Bill--right on with the safety and form first.

Dhuge has given some good advise and a great workout for mass. I did this workout with a friend pro lineman and it was a very similar workout that the Buffalo Bills used. Definitely helped build mass quickly. I personally didn't like it. I have always been more lean and usually am 184 at 6.1. When I bulked to 198 I felt sluggish. Not good for a guy that played goalie in hockey and high level tennis. icon_smile.gif

We are all different but keeping in good shape is all apart of the self confidence thing.

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Nelly Lives!

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

By the way, what rep ranges do you guys find optimal for building strength and lean mass?

Personally, I've had the most success with a set progression like such: 7, 5, 3, 3, 5, 7 (starting at 80% of my 1 rep max, then 85%, then 90% and back down).

And the grass will grow

The old language

My Hair Loss Weblog

Guest brent

An ex [pro showed me a routine where one or two compound exercises for five reps a week,(bench or squats) and the rest from the 8-10 or 12-15 range( conc. curls, laterals ) give a bit of strength and size( depending on your diet) but a lot of shape to your muscles. Ive been on for three years and your muscles look bigger because they're rounder. Not huge gains but I stay about 220 and lean all year

While that might be nice aesthetically, I prefer to gain both strength and size. The truth is, you'll never get bigger if you don't continually progress in one of a few ways:

1) The volume of work done in a period of time

2) The number of reps done with a certain weight

3) Increasing the weight used

4) Increasing the total tonnage per body part

And the grass will grow

The old language

My Hair Loss Weblog

The truth is, you'll never get bigger if you don't continually progress in one of a few ways:

1) The volume of work done in a period of time

2) The number of reps done with a certain weight

3) Increasing the weight used

4) Increasing the total tonnage per body part

Nicely said dhuge!

Bill

Good points, dhuge!

I can tell you, personally, while the routine is ultra-important.........I believe diet is nearly equally important. Some of the best gains I've ever had were when I was eating right with a caveat on being sure to get the necessary amount of Protein my body needed. As proof..........before laying off about 8 months or so ago, I was putting up as much or more weight than I did in my college days at double the age (I'm 40). I'm convinced it's diet related.............I guaranteed you my diet was anything from perfect while going to college!

Build the routine to achieve your goals (tone, mass, whatever) but be sure you have the diet to get you there!

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Originally posted by hairbank:

Good points, dhuge!

I can tell you, personally, while the routine is ultra-important.........I believe diet is nearly equally important. Some of the best gains I've ever had were when I was eating right with a caveat on being sure to get the necessary amount of Protein my body needed. As proof..........before laying off about 8 months or so ago, I was putting up as much or more weight than I did in my college days at double the age (I'm 40). I'm convinced it's diet related.............I guaranteed you my diet was anything from perfect while going to college!

Build the routine to achieve your goals (tone, mass, whatever) but be sure you have the diet to get you there!

You're right. It's been said that the only variable that should change based on your goals (gain muscle vs lose fat) is your diet and not your training. Lift hard, then eat depending on your goals.

And the grass will grow

The old language

My Hair Loss Weblog

Perhaps it's different for everyone. You shouldn't discount a workout routine entirely or dismiss whjat works for others just because what works for you isn't the same. For example, so far I have gained 30lbs of muscle over about 2 years with the routine described by dhuge as "this is bullshit" a few times (went from 145 to 175) so maybe it's not completely ineffective.

In the end, it's all exercise and exercise is a good thing in any form. What people should try is a few different exercises and then judge results. There's lots of good advice here from everybody, enough so that people can try a routine for a few months and then try another if they get bored. We should definitely keep this thread alive icon_wink.gif