A Very Sensitive Question!

Balding Indian!

Hi All,

This may bring out a few hidden demons or upset some people but we are all human and as men we too have our issues. I apologise beforehand if it offends anyone.

I am 44 and to be honest, sexually, I am honestly no longer any where near potent as I was was. I really tend to shoot my load pretty muxch within a couple of minutes (sometimes much less) which in itself is real cause for concern. My volume of ejaculation is just a fraction of what it once was (really not very much at all) - again, concerning. Is this normal with most men my age? I know it is an issue guys do not like to talk about as it goes to the very nature of our 'Manhood'.

The reason, I ask, is that, if I start on Propecia, I am really worried that this situation will get even worse - I knwo that stats say the sexual side effects are only in about 2 or 3% but with my situation....

Can anyone around my age, (may be with a similar situation) provide some input or guidance on how Propecia has affected you in terms of sexual side effects? What would your advice be - should I take it considering my situation?

Regards,

Balding Indian!

Indian,

I don't think you are going to offend anybody on this; it is asked quite frequently.

IMO, propecia isn't going to make the situation any worse; in the studies they did, I think the placebo group had higher sexual sides then the finasteride group; IMO people some people psychologically think it is going to cause sides, so they worry, stress out etc. and so they will have sides;

Hi Dhoose75 & Blowdry,

THanks for the input - I must admit I was and am still overweight but working on it - I was around 235lbs but am currently around 190 which I ahve lost over the last 5 months or so. I ahve to lose about another 20-30lbs before I am at an ideal BMI of 22.5. Hopefully within a few months I should reach it.

I do not excercise that much these days but do eat far more healthier - pretty much cut out all the fast & processed foods, snacks, sweets, sugars etc. I do have mid belly prob as thats where I accumulate fat but I have been told that alot of men do. I will hopefully get it flat again - gone done froma waist 44" to a waist 36" so I guess I am getting there!

I lost my job a while back and feel real guilty in indulging in any way but I guess I need to do sorm form of excercise. Time to look for squash partner I guess!

Its just that man, my performance in the sack just went downhill real fast - over a very short period of time and the very little semen output got me real scared. I spoke to the doctor about this but he said it was totally normal at ages over 40 and nothing to worry about - I am not so sure - do most nen over 40 really last such a short period of time and have a very small semen output?

It's really ironic - the two industries that probably have the world biggest snake oils & scams - hair loss & 'getting your Mojo back' and I have to sift through both of them!

Regards,

Balding Indian!

Balding Indian,

Your question is a legitimate one and I can't imagine anyone being offended by it.

I think the best thing to do in my opinion is to consult with a doctor - first about the sexual problems you are having and second, about using Propecia.

It is true that the "fear" of sexual side effects from Propecia in itself has caused sexual side effects. But of course, there is a reality that sexual side effects are indeed possible with Propecia. Will that make your situation worse? Maybe.

Of course, a healthy diet and regular exercise is good for all around bodily health - which includes sexuality. But consult with a doctor to make sure there is no other condition causing sexual dysfunction.

Best wishes,

Bill

Hmmm....it is really hard to put these things together. Normally, the premature ejaculation is a problem when you are younger, not as you get older. A dramatic decrease in seminal volume is also not really an "indicator" of simply aging, especially at just 40 yrs old. You REALLY need to get a check up. Prostate issues can be serious but also can be taken care of fairly easily if caught early. As blowdry said, your physical condition over all will also effect your "performance". Men who are over weight and in poor cardiovascular shape WILL have a difficult time staying "on top of their game" so to speak. Belly fat really kills your ability to perform, your libido, and probably hers too.

Could be mental as well. About 70-80 sexual dysfunctions are mental

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Hey BI,

No offense taken to the question at all...............hey, we all like sex, eh? Nobody wants any issues in that department, do they?? icon_cool.gif We balding types (or formerly balding types) have to stick together!

I just turned 41 and can tell you that I do think my sex drive has slowed down over the years...............not that I have sex any less than I used to icon_wink.gif! Well.............I'm freshly divorced but now I have a girlfriend that likes sex more than the x-wife did so there is a "pot-o-gold" at the end of the rainbow icon_biggrin.gif.............I digress....

I can tell you this........I started Fin Feb. 2006 and did not notice an increase or decrease in the volume of ejaculate. So, odds are in your favor that Fin by itself won't make things any different than they are. If I were you, I'd check with a Doc and get his/her opinion about your issue, and what may or may not happen with fin. Since fin is also taken for BPH (enlarged prostate) surely questions like these will have come up before.

Best of luck!

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

BI,

I can say that I have had no side efects. Could be cyclical too, I had experienced some less semen effects long before being on finasteride but I am back to normal now. I am probably hornier than most to begin with.

NoBuzz

Originally posted by nobuzz4me:

Hairbank,

Glad to hear about your new girlfriend, watch it - she may just be after all your hair! or money? icon_wink.gif

<span class="ev_code_RED">Thanks, NB, she's a peach!</span>

PS do not consider marriage for a while! icon_biggrin.gif

<span class="ev_code_RED">Not this guy.........just havin fun, my friend. Nice to be back on the boards with you!

Oh, yeah..............don't want to hijack this thread so, on topic, I'll say that I'm probably hornier than most, too icon_wink.gif</span>

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Guys I am 41 and started testesterone therapy. My doctor gave it to me despite my free test. level being low normal. I wanted to optimize it. I also started propecia a couple of months before the testesterone therapy. I did not notice any problem with sex drive when I started propecia.

Since starting the test. I feel a lot better. More energy, my workouts are much better I feel less sore. And yes I am putting the wood to my wife 3-4 times more then before. And inbetween I need to "release" a lot more.

No regrets I feel GREAT!!!!

In my own practice, only a handful have experienced true sexual side effects that required them stopping the medication. Everything was reversible and they did not experience a long delay in return to normal.

Ricardo MEjiaMD

I think the whole side effect issue is a bit extreme. People will & can let their mind get the best of them including myself. I have had no side effects but after reading some posts even I start getting a bit paranoid.. Once you stop the meds it will go back to normal

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!