How many grafts? advice needed -been told 2100, pics provided

hi there my ht doc said 2100 grafts, I'm thinking more like 2500+ to match the rest of my native hair which is pretty thick , the doc gave me a consultation online by the way. I dont want to spend more cash then i have too but i'm hoping for a excellent result, dense hairline etc. do any of you guys reckon I'm on the right path with 2500? Well i think im gonna go with 2500 anyway, on fin and minox also. By the way how long does you head swell up like a mushroom for? Some folk say stay one day post op then fly home others say stay 4 days post op. How many days does it take so you appear normal cos i hear ya look like shit after it? thanks for any advice

3.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

1.jpg

hi there my ht doc said 2100 grafts, I'm thinking more like 2500+ to match the rest of my native hair which is pretty thick , the doc gave me a consultation online by the way. I dont want to spend more cash then i have too but i'm hoping for a excellent result, dense hairline etc. do any of you guys reckon I'm on the right path with 2500? Well i think im gonna go with 2500 anyway, on fin and minox also. By the way how long does you head swell up like a mushroom for? Some folk say stay one day post op then fly home others say stay 4 days post op. How many days does it take so you appear normal cos i hear ya look like shit after it? thanks for any advice

3.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

1.jpg

2100 and 2500 both seem to be in the appropriate ballpark. I would make sure that w/e # you go with, and w/e doc you choose, you are on the same page w/ regard to *WHAT* you want to end up achieving. That is to say, make sure the graft # -- and ensuing result -- will more likely than not give you enough density to sate you.

From what I can tell, I see no reason why a doc would be particularly cautious with you; so, that they recco'd 2100 probably means that they really do believe you will end up with adequate (read: very good and appropriate to your native hair) density.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

I think you're in the right ball-park for hte number of grafs.

As far as expectations go, keep in mind that your transplanted hair can never be as thick as your native hair, though some of the top-class surgeons are able to create the appearance of fullness.

As far as your other questions go, they really vary from person to person. I had minimal swelling for a couple of days..nothing that would deter me from travel..some ppl get it really bad though.

As for looking "normal" after the op, this depends on a number of factors. Search on the forum and you'll find pointers to some great threads.

- badger

3279 grafts with Dr Gabel - 06/12/08

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Gabel

how old are you? if your younger, say under 35, i would say 2000 max. you gotta leave some reserves should you need them down the road. are you planning on bringing down your hairline or just squaring it off from where it is now? if its the latter, i would say 1200-1500 could probably get the job done, depending on your donor density. I've seen many patient photos with your amount of hair loss achieve great results with around 1500 grafts. 2500 grafts just seems way to steep for someone with only a slightly receding hairine.

I'm 31, i've receded a lot now perhaps more then the pics suggest (norwood 3.5 maybe) where i cant style it and buzzing it don't suite me. Also i plan on lowering the hairline a little bit more normal/youthful, my donor supply is good - thanks for the input folks. By the way and i know its tricky to compare as everybody's hair is different however mp96 received 2100 grafts and had less hairloss then me to begin with and i think his result looks pretty great

Although this is not a substitute for a personal consultation, you look alot like some of the "frontal triangle" cases that I have recently posted. I would probably steer you more to the 1500-1800 graft range, but it would depend on your goals, rate of loss, age, and hair shaft thickness.

I can't speak for other docs, but when I see folks getting recommended bigger cases than I would do for a specific area, I start to think that someone has a boat to pay for..one graft at a time.

Remember, you may only want one surgery, BUT, you can always do more. Don't overharvest your precious donor region un-necessarily.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

thanks for the advice, yeah i'd like a nice new thick head of funky new hair where i've balded so i can hopefully wear it watever way i choose up/dowm/longish and match native hair which is good and relatively thick, thats why i was thinking of 2500 grafts, also i've checked out plenty of other cases of norwood 2's getting grafts in the 2000 range and i'm a norwood 3+. So i'm thinkin 2500 is a good bet?? advice appreciated

Originally posted by Jojo:

thanks for the advice, yeah i'd like a nice new thick head of funky new hair where i've balded so i can hopefully wear it watever way i choose up/dowm/longish and match native hair which is good and relatively thick, thats why i was thinking of 2500 grafts, also i've checked out plenty of other cases of norwood 2's getting grafts in the 2000 range and i'm a norwood 3+. So i'm thinkin 2500 is a good bet?? advice appreciated

I'd consider following Dr. Lindsey's advice, as he's made a living making people look better; or at least presentable. icon_razz.gif

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week