using Rogaine after a hair transplant

Guest Baldie3000

Guest Baldie3000

hello friends. I've been thinking about a hair transplant for awhile but am trying to learn as much as i can first. i started using rogaine a few months ago but am wondering if it's ok to keep using rogaine before and after surgery?

thanks,

~baldie3000

Guest Baldie3000

hello friends. I've been thinking about a hair transplant for awhile but am trying to learn as much as i can first. i started using rogaine a few months ago but am wondering if it's ok to keep using rogaine before and after surgery?

thanks,

~baldie3000

Yes and yes. Also, get on Propecia and Nizoral 1% or 2% shampoo. You should meet with a High level HT doctor like Dr. Cooley out of Charlotte, NC and they will tell you what you should do and give you a plan of attack to stop the hair loss.

Small studies have been done concerning the use of minoxidil before and after a hair transplant. The concensus of data suggests using minoxidil up until the transplant and reinstating minoxidil use as soon as possible following the transplant, in most cases 48-72 hours if possible. Using it in this manner reduced the fallout of newly implanted hair and commenced early growth.

We advise no rogaine for 3 days preop, in case rogaine is dilating blood vessels in the scalp--we want less bleeding. I say "in case" since there are theories, but no exact scientific mechanism on how rogaine effects hair.

We allow restarting 3-7 days postop depending on the site of surgery.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

opinions vary but looks like you can use after postop given directions.

I have used post op after 1 week to help speed up graft growth---I used it on recp sites 1 week post op with my Cytograph/Grapfhcyte-- which last only 10 days.

SHOULD NOT USE BEFORE due to bloodflow.

SMOOTHY

Dr. Shapiro

Propecia/Rogain xtra

MSM/Zinc/Saw Palmetto/B6

Nioxin Shampoo

Zrii 3 oz daily

I think Rogaine is overrated. It rarely works. And when it does, it is usually due to a combination with Propecia, or placebo effect.

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley