I Need Advice... Post-Op Treatments

Hi,

I have a procedure in Arizona next week and I'm wondering what the best post-op treatment plan would be. I'm receiving 2300 grafts. The doctor recommends saline spray instead of GraftCyte. Barring that, what else can I use that's reasonable cost-effective to help with the recovery, and perhaps curtail shockloss?

Thanks much! icon_smile.gif

Propecia 1mg daily

Nioxin Cleanser, Scalp Therapy and Follicle Booster

'06/2500 w/Dr. Keene

'07/1500 w/Dr. Keene

My Hair Loss Weblog

Hi,

I have a procedure in Arizona next week and I'm wondering what the best post-op treatment plan would be. I'm receiving 2300 grafts. The doctor recommends saline spray instead of GraftCyte. Barring that, what else can I use that's reasonable cost-effective to help with the recovery, and perhaps curtail shockloss?

Thanks much! icon_smile.gif

Propecia 1mg daily

Nioxin Cleanser, Scalp Therapy and Follicle Booster

'06/2500 w/Dr. Keene

'07/1500 w/Dr. Keene

My Hair Loss Weblog

Follicle Booster
Midiman

hey Midiman i have HT in arizona too,in 2 weeks!

i see u are using Follicle Booster,does it help?

im surprised here nobody talks about this product,i have been using it for 3 months now and i think it really helps.

hair is much ticker and i see also some new little hairs coming from zone where i apply that every night . (im using also propecia!)

maki8787

You know what... it definitely helps. So good in fact that I'm gonna ask the doctor how soon I can start reapplying it. I assume you're going with Dr. Keene or Alexander right? Do you have any post-op treatment plans, products, etc...

'06/2500 w/Dr. Keene

'07/1500 w/Dr. Keene

My Hair Loss Weblog

The main concern is just keeping it clean, shampoo gently as recommended to get rid of the scabbing ASAP and mind your noggin' for the first 10 days or so icon_wink.gif. I've heard of the sprays and they may do some good. I didn't use anything either time and felt like I healed pretty quick. It's more or less a waiting game.

As far as curtailing shockloss, nothing I know of will help you there other than possibly the Propecia since it's hopefully helping your MPB susceptible hair strengthen by blocking DHT and allowing better growth. Even HT hair gets shocked (which I found out during HT # 2) but it will grow back for sure versus the uncertainty of MPB susceptible hair.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Midiman,

I think Hairbank said it best. While there are a lot of options out there for your post-op treatment we have found that there really is nothing the has proven to be consistently BETTER than mother nature.

We feel that the use of sprays immediately post-op can help to actually spread infection. If even one recipient site were to have even a slight bit of infection then it "could" spread from any liquid being applied or sprayed on the recipient area as it runs. While this is not really likely to happen it is a possibility.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Well that's good to know... thanks Jotronic. By nature, I'm a very quick healer so maybe this will be easier than I thought using saline. Anything I can do to ease donor area pain and numbness after surgery?

'06/2500 w/Dr. Keene

'07/1500 w/Dr. Keene

My Hair Loss Weblog

Midiman,

Yes........I've had ton's of growth since my HT from Doc Wong. I just updated my Blog (attached to my signature) and the photo album which can be found here. The crown isn't covered yet but is well on the way. Tell me what you think of the progress.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

There's no post-op treatment!!! all you need to do is relax and let your grafts heal for the first week. You can wash your hair with shampoo with just a mild touch to keep your scalp clean and to get rid of scabs. But other than that don't use any products post-op if you want maximum benefit out of your HT.

Midiman, yes the scabs do latch onto the transplanted hairs. You must be very careful the first week to 10 days. Don't even look at a brush or comb for at least a week! You will want to use a cup in the shower to gently rinse your head after carefully shampooing. Don't let the shower water hit your head. After a few days you can gently rub the shampoo in - massaging the scags to encourage them to disappear.

Many of us here have posted stories about losing a graft or two. You don't want to lose any but it's not the end of the world if you do lose one. You'll know because it will bleed a bit.

Here's another bit of advise: Be careful getting in and out of the car. I scraped my head getting out of my car after driving back from North Carolina. Don't think I knocked any out but it hurt quite a bit. Good Luck!