Does Rogaine wash off?

future doc

Hey all,

I was just wondering how long you have to wait after putting rogaine on before you can take a shower and not risk washing it off?

Also, does anyone here only use rogain 5% ONCE a day? Does that work?!

Thanx everyone, the more responses the merrier.

Hi future doc,

The instructions that accompany Rogaine say that you should apply it twice for optimal results. It also says that when applying it at night be sure to allow between 2-4 hours to dry completely. I would assume from that you shouldn't be washing your hair within 4 hours from applying Rogaine.

The truth is that for some people Rogaine will not work (from what I've read on many forums, it doesn't work for most people). For other people it works very well - I've seen speactacular results on some people with Rogaine.

So I would basically follow the instructions apply it twice a day and if you dont see any results within 4 months stop using it.

1344 grafts with Ron Shapiro - June 2006

I don't agree, I think Minoxidil works for most people, i think your definition of working is what varies. does it regrow hair, yes, does it regrow a full head of hair, no. but it will in most people either regrow some hair or slow down the rate of thinning.

also, most minox is absorbed within an hour of application, i see no issue with showering an hour later in the mornings, however i would highly reccomend twice a day and leaving it in all night.

• 3 months later...

I would like to mention something many people overlook. Alot of people say that it does not work for them, this is true, but you would be surprised at how many people use minoxidil the wrong way.

I met lots of people who use it for only an hour because they dont like the way it makes their hair look or feel. Or they just dont realize that the longer its on, the better it works. I personally do not wear it over night because your hair needs to breath. Also wearing it at night smears it on your pillow and thus gets on your face as you sleep. You dont want it all over your face, trust me.

So if you account for all the people who dont use minoxidil as directed, you will find that the success rate is much higher than announced all over the internet.