does HT really replace using drugs/topical treatments?

Hi all,

i have been lurking her for awhile, trying to get as informed as I can in the coming year(s) before I seriously consider a HT.

The question I have is, how many of you after having a HT done use or continue to use propecia or rogaine, and for how long? I am a little confused as I thought that one of the main reasons for going the HT route, is due to the fact that it is permanent and you may spend the same $$$ over the course of your lifetime on drugs and topicals that do not work for everyone. Now, if I decide to get a HT which is not a cheap thing to do, is it also suggested that I spend the rest of my life on propecial and or rogaine?

This is one of the main factors that I am pondering in my consideration for a ht. While I can see the benefit of taking these drugs, to have to take them before and after a HT seems a little redundant.

I guess the short of it is. If I go for a HT, is there a good chance I will still be suggested that I go on or continue drugs and or topical treatments. I really dont want to have to spend the $$$ on both and if that is going to be the case, I would rather just shave my head.

Any insighful opinons or experience with this would be greatly appreciated. thanks everyone!

Rich

HTinthefuture,

Hair Transplantation does not necessarily replace the use of hair loss medications - depending on your circumstances.

Keep in mind that most people use hair loss medications not only to try to regrow hair but to stabilize future hair loss. Hair Transplantation will not stop future hair loss, so many people (including myself) will stay on hair loss medication to help keep the existing native hair we have. Stopping the medication will result in the loss of all benefits received from them.

Best wishes,

Bill

Bill, you know how you say if you stop taking meds all benefits will be lost.

<-- is that for propecia or rogaine or both?

As i understand it, rogaine actually makes hair grow, so why if you stopped taking it would hair fall out?

Rogaine doesnt block dht correct?

Regarding both meds , you will lose the progress you gained while taking them if you stop.

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

thanks for the replies,

I guess the question I was trying to ask was, will the transplanted hair stay put for years to come even without meds etc. I realize how these drugs can help with hair that is still being lost, but will the transplanted hair be pretty much forever or are the drugs etc required for the transplanted hairs to remain longer?

I was on propecia a few years back (proscar). I did experience the side effects that are apparently very uncommmon according to reports, so I stopped after 8 months or so. whether I would be where I am not if i did not discontinue is up to speculation.

are the generic versions of propecia to market yet? or is the option for cheaper still splitting proscar? little off topic, sorry.

Thanks!

Rich

Hi

1)The transplanted hair (if taken from the "safe zone" ie the "horse-shoe" shaped area of hair at the back and sides) will grow for the rest of your life and will not fall out if you stop taking meds.

2) Bill was saying that any "native" hair - ie non-transplanted hair could fall out if you stop taking meds

3) Generic Propecia is called Finasteride. A pill cutter on Proscar is probably still the cheapest option. Please note however that some studies show that as little as 0.2mg a day of propecia has the same DHT inhibiting effects as 1mg - worth thinking about.

Hope that helps

It might be a discouraging to think that after a surgery you will need to stay on medical therapy. The fact is, any investment requires some maintenance and I would encourage you to think of it that way.

You can go the generic route to make medical therapy more cost effective you.

Hair transplants can be extremely rewarding for patients. But some of the payoff is lost if you acquire hair in one area only to lose hair in another area due to MPB.

If meds work for a patient, the synergistic effect of surgery and drug therapy can be fantastic. Still, you may opt not to take meds. They may be inappropriate for your circumstances.

But you should know that by not taking measures to halt your hair loss, you increase your chances of needing another surgery.

Notice: I am an employee of Dr. Paul Rose who is recommended on this community. I am not a doctor. My opinions are not necessarily those of Dr. Rose. My advice is not medical advice.

Dr. Rose is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Good explanation Cure

Really, getting your hair back sometimes takes a bit of a comined effort but i my opinion it is well worth it

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!