A basic post-op question

First off, its been 7 years since a session so not only has the technology changed (for the better, obviously) but also perhaps technique for recovery of the affected areas.

After receiving a relatively small session of only 500 strip incision grafts the following days have been like nothing happened.

Applying ice has kept the minor swelling to an even greater minimum and the pain is only minor, if anything at all.

But I have one small questions) What should be done to the small transplanted grafts over the next few days? Should they be sprayed with some saline solution or keep moist or do I need to worry about do anything?

Most of my previous work were larger grafts, or plugs, and this latest work is like nothing happened in comparison.

My instructions also indicated using Rogaine on the transplanted area, which I am planning on doing as I ordered a triple pack online and guess it wont hurt to get on it and stay on it (never used it before) and also from reading on the forum recently I want to get a prescription for Proscar from now on and stay on it.

First off, its been 7 years since a session so not only has the technology changed (for the better, obviously) but also perhaps technique for recovery of the affected areas.

After receiving a relatively small session of only 500 strip incision grafts the following days have been like nothing happened.

Applying ice has kept the minor swelling to an even greater minimum and the pain is only minor, if anything at all.

But I have one small questions) What should be done to the small transplanted grafts over the next few days? Should they be sprayed with some saline solution or keep moist or do I need to worry about do anything?

Most of my previous work were larger grafts, or plugs, and this latest work is like nothing happened in comparison.

My instructions also indicated using Rogaine on the transplanted area, which I am planning on doing as I ordered a triple pack online and guess it wont hurt to get on it and stay on it (never used it before) and also from reading on the forum recently I want to get a prescription for Proscar from now on and stay on it.

First of all, I think you should definitely consult your doc about your post-op care. It's beneficial to spray the recipient area and keep the grafts moist. There are differing opinions on the best solutions so, again, I would suggest talking with your doc.

Notice: I am an employee of Dr. Paul Rose who is recommended on this community. I am not a doctor. My opinions are not necessarily those of Dr. Rose. My advice is not medical advice.

Dr. Rose is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

wylie,

as thehairlosscure said, I would definitely contact your doc on post-op instructions; my post-op experience, I would wash my hair once a day and be extremely careful and not use shower pressure on the recipeint area--did that for the first 8 days or so; then after that I would be a little more aggressive when washing, using my finger tips (not finger nails); also I would try not to wear a hat unless I had to, for aiding in healing (allowing air to it); I've heard of some people using the spray method also. I would wait 2 weeks before applying minoxidil so the receipeint area doensn't get irratated.

Originally posted by dhoose75:

wylie,

as thehairlosscure said, I would definitely contact your doc on post-op instructions; my post-op experience, I would wash my hair once a day and be extremely careful and not use shower pressure on the recipeint area--did that for the first 8 days or so; then after that I would be a little more aggressive when washing, using my finger tips (not finger nails); also I would try not to wear a hat unless I had to, for aiding in healing (allowing air to it); I've heard of some people using the spray method also. I would wait 2 weeks before applying minoxidil so the receipeint area doensn't get irratated.

Thanks to both for the answers.

I guess I should point out that the actual grafts were all so small and inserted so cleanly (or without any scabbing or swelling) that its almost like no work was even done. The incision in the back of my head I am keeping plenty clean, I do have some post op instructions but to be honest think that much of that advice is for those patients with much larger sessions done. Mine was small. I'm thinking the only thing I am spraying on the transplanted region is Rogaine or a watery mist unless someone suggests something. The mixing ratio was one tablespoon salt per gallon of water.

What were the post op directions for larger sessions? I don't know your situation should be any different in terms of post op care.

Notice: I am an employee of Dr. Paul Rose who is recommended on this community. I am not a doctor. My opinions are not necessarily those of Dr. Rose. My advice is not medical advice.

Dr. Rose is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Thanks for all the answers, the only reall thing I need to be concerned with is spraying the grafts to keep them moist a couple times a day with regular tap water, and make sure I dab a little bacitracin on nthe incision area for good measure.

Quite honestly, there is little I need to be doing other than a few basics, and just wanted to be sure. Thanks for the advice, all is well, very minimal swelling (or almost none) and the pain was never once more than minor.

Anyway, now I need these things to grow and I'll be happy (and I'll be really happy when these dam staples come out)