Stitches Removal

Neptune

Gang: I'm having my procedure done a week from Monday (on March 12th), and will then be home a few days before heading out of town on vacation for Spring Break. My question is this: Would it be acceptable to pop into an AM/PM type clinic and pay them to remove the stitches? My doc (Dr. Epstein) said I could remove them, but others have told me this is not easy to do or have a spouse do. Any reason why a nurse at a clinic like that couldn't take them out?

Gang: I'm having my procedure done a week from Monday (on March 12th), and will then be home a few days before heading out of town on vacation for Spring Break. My question is this: Would it be acceptable to pop into an AM/PM type clinic and pay them to remove the stitches? My doc (Dr. Epstein) said I could remove them, but others have told me this is not easy to do or have a spouse do. Any reason why a nurse at a clinic like that couldn't take them out?

Neptune,

I can't honestly say I'm familiar with AM/PM clinics, however, I see no reason why they can't do it for you. However, why not schedule with your primary care physician for 10 days post op? It might be cheaper if you have medical insurance to just pay the deductible. But that's just a guess...I have no idea how much it costs at an AM/PM clinic. BUT, I see no problem with it.

Congrats on your surgery day! I hope you'll post pictures for us!

Bill

Bill: I will for sure post pics just as soon as I get some software to edit them. Unfortunately, I can't go to my primary care doc cause I work in health care in my city (not that big a city), and until I decide to tell people I'm having (or had) this done, I can't go to any doc here cause there's too big a chance word will leak out! I figured it might be nice to get it done (stitches removal) while out of town just so I don't have to worry about who might know me.

Really can't wait till next week but getting anxious all the same. You just say, man I hope this works cause once that scar is there, there's no going back! I've been on proscar for 4 months and Rogaine for years, and my hair loss has stabilized, if not down right stopped. As long as the stuff that's moved works well, it should be a good deal.

Being an observer of this board has been a HUGE boost. It was because of all of you that I researched people outside my state and ended up picking Dr. Epstein. I'm hopeful I end up with the same results of most of his patients cause I really like his work. Thanks again and I'll keep everyone posted after the 12th.

Hey Neptune!

A little fun in the sun after the HT, huh? Mind those precious grafts, okay Dude? icon_cool.gif

I see no reason why an RN in a clinic could not remove the stitches for you.........it's pretty routine. If you're okay with it, and Doc Epstein is, I'd go for it.

Good luck,

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Don't worry HB. I'll be careful and wear a hat at all times outside. Just going to California, and won't be hanging on a beach or anything.

Wonder if anyone has actually taken the stitches out themselves? I have some suture removal scissors, and could give it a try. But a friend who had the same procedure said the stitches are really, really tight and it would be hard to get them out myself. Otherwise, I'd just drink some whiskey, bite down on a piece of wood and have a go at it! Well, OK. Maybe just have a beer and let the wife try to dig them out. Sounds like more trouble than I care to go through though.

Neptune, Before you know it you'll be joining the ranks. You gotta get your post- op pics posted as soon as possible . I'm sure you're getting a little jittery. It's normal. Email me if you have any questions.

Neptune,

Are they stitches or staples? Either way, they can be taken out by a nurse at 24hr clinic.

Yes it is possible to have your wife take out the stitches if you think she can handle it. It is actually a very simple procedure but she would need lots of lighting and be very careful that she gets them all and doesn't tug.

I might bet blasted by some regulars for telling you that but I am a little nuts sometimes. We use to stitch each other playing hockey when younger. Wimps went to the doc(and ofcourse removed ourselves) I only had to return to plastic surgeon 2x to have some bad stitch jobs corrected. icon_biggrin.gif

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

They will be stitches, not staples. I'll probably go find an AM/PM type clinic and let them take care of it. We'll be on vacation and I really don't want the wife to have a "oh, let me tell you about the time we were on vacation and my husband asked me to dig out his hair transplant stitches" story to use against me. And, with our luck, all would not go smooth and I might be worse for the wear after she deploys her surgical "skils."

On another note, you Hockey guys are indeed CRAZY!