Who here regularly uses (or used) minoxidil?

I'm currently using Propecia, Nizoral 2%, and Nioxin.

However, I'm starting to notice thinning in my crown and I'd like to prevent this (or at least slow it down). I don't think propecia or anyhting else has helped slow down my hair loss, but of course, I can't be sure.

Anyway, I'm curious if you guys have used it and kept up with it? Have you found it difficult to apply twice a day? Do you keep a bottle or spray in your car just in case you don't go home that night? How long does it take to apply? Did you notice any improvement or slowing of your hair loss when you took it?

Basically, I'm think about takign it, but I'm not sure I want to commit to it for the rest of my life. Obviously its a tough decision and I have to weigh the pros and cons (ex: how important my hair is to me). But I'd just like your input as well.

Thanks in advance,

Jordan

Using Rogaine 5% (xtra strength) with Propecia is the best combo. Use it first thing after you shower in the morning so it will dry over the next hour before work. Then use it about 2 hours before you go to bed. Over 7 years, I have not had a problem. It only takes a few seconds with the sprayer.

I use minoxidil and I have to say that it has been instrumental in helping my crown region thicken up substantially. The twice-a-day application can be bothersome and it is a commitment that requires diligence, but (at least to me) it beats being bald!

I don't put it on in the morning before I leave, though. It is too sticky and greasy for my moderately fine hair to do anything with. I just make sure that I apply it twice a day and that the applications are at least 4 hours apart. Am I cheating myself on not having the applications 12 hours apart? Maybe, but I don't think much. It has worked for me for over a year.

Hope this helps.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Interesting application times Robert. I wonder if anyone else is doing it that way with similiar success. icon_wink.gif

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Interesting indeed, Gil. icon_smile.gif

The way I figured it, is that two applications (as long as they are 4 hours apart) is better than no applications. Well, I just cannot be bothered with that slick, greasy look in the morning and I refuse to change up my 5% generic brand that I know works for some non-alcohol brand that costs 3 times as much and may not work as well for me. Now, if anyone else has good success with that other brand, good for you. However, for me the old saying goes: If it ain't broke, don't fix it. icon_biggrin.gif

-Robert

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

I think I know the answer to this (potentially) stupid question but I want to make sure:

If I start taking it, and stop because I get sick of it, will I ONLY lose the hair I kept because of the minoxidil? OR is it posisble that I will lose more than what I would have lost at that time without using it at all.

I'm asking because I'm not sure how far my hair loss will progress (and how fast), so If I ever decide to stop using it, I want to make sure that I don't make matters worse.

The consensus is that basically, you will only lose what you would have lost had you never started the minoxidil. I think that it is possible that some of the "other" hair can become minoxidil-dependant also. I once stopped using minoxidil after using it for over a year. This in 1999 or so. The rate at which the loss restarted was astounding. I slid waaay back. Please keep this in mind when you are considering starting Minoxidil.

However, if you can keep with it and remain diligent in your regimen minoxidil can be a very good addition. It has been for me.

I use the generic 5% minoxidil found at Wal-Mart. $12 a bottle. Sometimes I can find the 3 bottle package for about $29 but not always (the local Wal-Mart sucks). At $29 for 3 months worth, that is less than $10 a month. Not too shabby considering that it really does make a difference especially in areas that have only been thinning for the last couple of years.

Hope this helps.

-Robert

Okay so I bought 5% and I have a couple application questions now:

- my hair is buzzed, it's really short, should I still use 1 mL or can I get away with using less?

- Should I ONLY apply it to my vertex like it says, or should I rub it into my hairline area as well. 1 mL seems to be a LOT for the small area of my vertex, and I'm assuming it wouldn't hurt if I rubbed it into my hairline area.

• 2 weeks later...

taoofjord,

To answer your questions:

- I would still use the same amount. Having a shaved head makes it particularly easy to apply and speeds drying time considerably. Since there is very little hair to get greasy, minoxidil is not much of an inconvenience at all.

- It's all relative, but I will tell you what I do. I use 1 mL on my crown and forward of that. I then apply another 1 mL to the hairline and slightly behind. After I am done, the entire top of my head has had minoxidil applied to it. I do this twice per day for a total of 4 mL per day of 5% minoxidil.

- The old packages used to come with a sprayer as well. The sprayer is kind of a bad idea in that you cannot accurately get the minoxidil in the exact area in which you need it. Just use a little minoxidil at a time, rub it in, then apply some more.

-Robert

Hey Guys, have any of you experienced some of the side effects of minoxidil? The reason I ask is because on the side of the bottle it warns to stop usage if you experience a rapid heart rate. I can't tell if it's all in my head or not but it seems like I experience this symptom.

I really would love to give it a chance and see if I could get any results from using it, but I can't seem to get past the heart rate thing. For one, I don't know of any way to make a positive connection between using the stuff and a rapid heart beat. If I try going on and off of it, I don't feel like I'm getting a true reading. Know what I mean? I feel like becuase I'm so worried about having a rapid heart beat, that I get a rapid heart beat. icon_rolleyes.gif

Taoofjord -

I jused Rogaine for 2 yrs. It worked wonders for me. I got lot of my hair back on crown. But after awhile I got sick of it using everyday, so I stopped using it. Within just 4 months after that, my crown got really really worse. Worse than what I had started with. I wish I had never used it. It's pain in ass and specially in winter time when you go out in cold with wet hair, you're gonna get sick. So I don't recommend it to anybody. Just my opinion.

KG

Originally posted by Harve:

Hey Guys, have any of you experienced some of the side effects of minoxidil? The reason I ask is because on the side of the bottle it warns to stop usage if you experience a rapid heart rate. I can't tell if it's all in my head or not but it seems like I experience this symptom.

I really would love to give it a chance and see if I could get any results from using it, but I can't seem to get past the heart rate thing. For one, I don't know of any way to make a positive connection between using the stuff and a rapid heart beat. If I try going on and off of it, I don't feel like I'm getting a true reading. Know what I mean? I feel like becuase I'm so worried about having a rapid heart beat, that I get a rapid heart beat. icon_rolleyes.gif

Wow. Catch-22. Maybe this will help: I find that when I apply minoxidil right after I dry my hair after a shower I can feel my heart rate increase slightly. It is a true side effect and it does happen. If I apply it any other time, I do not feel this. My hypothesis is that the pores on my scalp are opened up due to the shower, thus increasing the absorption rate substantially.

Try applying your minoxidil at different times. If you are truly concerned, talk to a physician.

-Robert