Strip Donor Scar at 4 weeks

Tim:

Too bad you can't use Rogaine 5%...Dr. Jones indicated that it really helps and I think my early growth is a testament to that. I remember reading somewhere that there is a 5% Minoxidil out there that isn't supposed to irritate people's scalp...I'll do some checking and get back to you about that...or perhaps another poster can enlighten us??

As for Nizoral 2%, they sell it at Zellers now without a prescription in the pharmacy section, I think I paid $12.87 for a 120 ml bottle...I use it once or twice a week to clean the scalp and it works terrific. As for the MSM, I buy mine at the local GNC store in town.

Add to that, I'm on proscar as well to help keep the follicles I have...if your not on it, get Dr. Jones to prescribe it for you and split the pills into 4's...If your not on anything else I would strongly recommend the proscar!!

Good luck and have a good weekend...stay in touch.

Chris

Is it 6 months yet??

Hi Chris,

If you can find out more about the more gentle variant of the 5% Minoxidil that would be great. Dr. Jones did write me a prescription for proscar but I am reluctant to go on it for its possible side effects... (http://www.proscar.com/proscar_finasteride/proscar/consumer/product_information/ppi/need_to_know.jsp)

I think I am going to try Nizoral 2%.

Thanks for the info! Appreciate it.

Tim.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Hairy - give the proscar a shot...

I have started on Proscar. Crossing my fingers. I read it somewhere that it is not recommmeded to precut too many pills (into 1/4s). How many would be safe to precut and store for use?

Thanks,

Tim.

The tablets get a little bit crumbly after you split them. Like Rugger, I dont do more than one at a time. Personally, I don't want a pile of split tablet segments rubbing against each other and maybe falling apart even more. If you get a tablet splitter at your pharmacy, they usually have a little bin where you can keep your remaining split tabs (a few anyway).

I don't see any advantage to splitting a whole bunch ahead of time. It only takes a second to split a tablet, and i don't see how it is any more convenient or faster to cut them all at he same time. (Maybe I'm missing something?)

• 3 weeks later...

As far as Proscar, I do what was recommended to me a year ago by someone on this site...I bite the corners off of mine....I have VERY pronounced K9's..I kind of look like a vampire when I smile, so biting off a chunk works fine for me. One small bite at a time...trying not to get your saliva on the pill...it causes it to decay. I know it may sound kind of stupid, but it works.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi S.O.A.P

Just wondering if you will be posting your 1-year results of the donor and recipient sites.

Thanks.

T.

Havhairnow,

The scar has not improved any (nor would it) and at over 9 months my growth is all but done except for thickening.

I'm going to wait until June 24th to post the 1 year results. I have tons of photos already and may put together a site. I most definately will at least put together a new thread on this forum.

Also, I just picked up a new Nikon 5.0 mp digital camera at work today which I will use to document the final result. With 5.0 mp I should be able to count the FU per sq cm on screen!!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest balloonman

You have a problem now son of a plug.

Your scar is fully matured at the 1 year mark and your scar has widened. I would have to classify that scar as "bad" and in need of attention.

Dr Jones is just not a top Doc in my opinion. This is not the first bad scar I have seen from him and ANYONE considering a strip from him must be mad. FUE from him is bad enough but, due to the limited amount of practitioners, understandable. With the hundreds of qualified strip Dr in the world, Jones is a poor choice.

In any event, do you plan on doing something to improve that scar, if so what?

socialdrinker, rugger......the flash does kinda overexpose the picture, but the widened scar is very very apparent. Maybe adjust your monitor so the pic doesn't seem so washed out. THe scar is there and it's unfortunately quite wide.

Still not really seeing it, but oh well. Ill take your word for it.

That sucks that it opened up like that, though, but the main point is (In my opinion) whether the scar is apparent with the hair laying over it. That would be my main concern anyway.

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

maybe the scar tissue itself is not visible in that photo, but the width of the non-hair-bearing scalp is obvious. I suspect that with the hair down, it is pretty well concealed though. I would be interested in additional pics. thanks for following up with this year-old thread s.o.a.p.

Hugh Jorgan,

You are welcome.

It's nice to know someone recognized that I actually followed through with my documentation for a year as promised.

I committed myself to documenting the entire process for better or worse and letting everyone ELSE be the judge.

It's hard not to give an opinion and let photos speak for themselves, however even such an objective approach can still raise debates between forum members who have a hard time agreeing on what they see.

I did my best to contribute honorably.

thanks for sharing your experiences. With my next transplant I plan to do the same thing. your scar looks great. now how about the rest of your head? can you post a pic?

630 FUT - 8/27/03

2200 FUT - 5/20/05

2000 FUT - 12/15/07

"i haven't been this bald since.... well... since I was born!"