Looking for a good surgeon in or around MD (explanation of state specific request included)

Good morning all! I just found this board a few days ago and have used the find feature and have found it quite helpful, but I still have questions and I'm hoping you guys can help me out. Here's some information about me:

I'm 32 yrs old, have had one HT about 5 yrs ago through MHR in Chevy Chase MD (wasn't real satisfied, but don't feel they butchered me either), I have long hair, and compete in Mixed Martial Arts and Jiu Jitsu. Currently I can pull my hair back and disguise the fact that it is fairly thin on the crown, but I want to eliminate the need to do this and eliminate the need to keep my hair long. It was fine when I was younger and I still like long hair, but competing in grappling it gets yanked and broken and it would just be much easier to have it shorter. On to the main part of my question...

The reason I'm seeking a place around me is that I take care of my father, who's had a stroke and he just cannot be left unattended overnight and I'd like to have the procedure done and be home in the evening to make sure he's ok. If there aren't any really good places in my area, well I'll figure something out, but in my current situation that would be one less thing to worry about. Also, if it will make any difference as to recomendations, I can attempt to take pictures of the areas I want "fixed" with my cell phone cam. I'm probably one of the few people left who hasn't got a digital camera. icon_smile.gif

Thank you in advance for any help, advice or guidance you can provide.

Good morning all! I just found this board a few days ago and have used the find feature and have found it quite helpful, but I still have questions and I'm hoping you guys can help me out. Here's some information about me:

I'm 32 yrs old, have had one HT about 5 yrs ago through MHR in Chevy Chase MD (wasn't real satisfied, but don't feel they butchered me either), I have long hair, and compete in Mixed Martial Arts and Jiu Jitsu. Currently I can pull my hair back and disguise the fact that it is fairly thin on the crown, but I want to eliminate the need to do this and eliminate the need to keep my hair long. It was fine when I was younger and I still like long hair, but competing in grappling it gets yanked and broken and it would just be much easier to have it shorter. On to the main part of my question...

The reason I'm seeking a place around me is that I take care of my father, who's had a stroke and he just cannot be left unattended overnight and I'd like to have the procedure done and be home in the evening to make sure he's ok. If there aren't any really good places in my area, well I'll figure something out, but in my current situation that would be one less thing to worry about. Also, if it will make any difference as to recomendations, I can attempt to take pictures of the areas I want "fixed" with my cell phone cam. I'm probably one of the few people left who hasn't got a digital camera. icon_smile.gif

Thank you in advance for any help, advice or guidance you can provide.

Maryland,

I truly feel for your father, I am sorry to hear that. Just a suggestion is there any way he can come with, or is he bed ridden? I know it doesn't help you out with your initiall question but I hope it helped. God Bless

You only live once...

MarylandGuy:

Sorry to hear about your dad--I know the feeling because my siblings & I care for our mother who also had a stroke...regarding your question, check Dr. Vogel's credentials--he's an excellent doctor in your area...good luck!

Thank you both for the well wishes, as for my dad traveling with me, he's not bed ridden, but he has dementia as a result of his stroke and it's hard to get him to go anywhere. As for doctor Vogel, I was reading up on him on the board and he certainly seems to be the most highly regarded in state. My only concern is that it was mentioned that he doesn't like to do a high number of grafts, etc.

I may just wait until I've got care for him or at least can get someone to keep an eye on him, and go north of the border. I was quite impressed with Bill results and the sheer size of his last surgery. His results are truly impressive from where he started.

Vanity sure is a pain in the butt sometimes. icon_smile.gif

MarylandGuy,

Welcome to our community!

First of all, I am sorry to hear about your dad. I will pray for him. I certainly hope that your dad has a speedy recovery.

I can certainly understand the need to stay local especially due to your circumstances. Dr. Vogel has been performing solid follicular unit transplantation for years in Maryland. I have seen some of his patient's work posted online and I think he does good work.

Pat, the Publisher of our Community has recently visited his along with many other clinics. To see Pat's detailed review of Dr. Vogel's clinic, click here.

May I advise however that you don't choose a physician strictly on location even if it means waiting for your father to recover. There is certainly nothing wrong with waiting to have an hair transplant procedure.

You may also want to research and consider taking hair loss medication to prevent future loss and possibly regrow some hair. You can learn more about which products work here.

Best wishes,

Bill

Thanks for the response Bill. I actually did read Pat's account of his visit to Dr. Vogel's and found it very insightful. I also found your journals of your HT surgeries to be really helpful as well. Your last surgery and the documentation of it definitely has me thinking that waiting a bit until I can get away, to ensure that I get exactly what I want. I'm hoping that with 1 more surgery I'll be done and content. That might not be realistic though. Was I overly sleepy when I read your account or did you say you removed the staples yourself? Which brings me to another concern, IF something goes wrong traveling out of state seems like it would be hard to do, same with follow ups? Or do you get a local follow up?

HEy MD guy,

I had my last procedure with Dr Vogel, so far so good. He is on the conservative side as far as large sessions go but does fine work and donor closure is great. I would say without question he is the best in the area if you cannot travel. I believe Dr. Cooley trained under him who is a coalition surgeon.

NoBuzz

Mdguy, you can have anyone take out the staples. My wife is an ER nurse and she did mine. Actually, since I'm not far from you, if you don't want a doctors bill for staple / suture removal, she'd be glad to do it for you. Seriously, that's not a joke (she's kind of nice to look at too) icon_smile.gif

DUDE!!!!!

There are guys who will go have a HT tomorrow for a shot to have another look at 40's wife!!!!

What a deal!!!!!!!

icon_biggrin.gif

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

NoBuzz, thanks for the reply and the info on Dr. Vogel.

Pushing 40, thanks for the offer, when it comes time for my surgery if I do go out of state, I might just take you up on that offer. Come to think of it I might just go play with a staple gun tonight based on what B Spot had to say. lol

Thanks to everyone who's responded so far. I'm really glad I found this forum. Seems like a really nice place, with really nice people, that just happens to have lots of great information. I don't know about you guys, but I'm on forums with some of my other interests and so many of those have idiots talking down to one another, etc, etc. Clearly this is not a board like that and I'm glad to be here. Thanks for making me feel welcome!

MarylandGuy,

Yes, I took the staples out myself. But don't try this unless you have a burning desire to get those staples out and you have a trifold mirror icon_wink.gif.

Pushing40 is right...you can have your staples taken out locally. Staples are pretty easy to take out too...you could even have a friend, girlfriend, spouse do it for you. And B Spot is right...any chance to meet Pushin40s wife good icon_biggrin.gif.

Of course you could always see your general practioner and they can remove it as well icon_smile.gif.

Good luck in your research!

Best wishes,

Bill