Female with High Hairline

Dr, can you explain the advantages of performing this procedure in a female with no history of hair loss compared to a traditional strip procedure (where potential scarring would be in the back of the head, most likely covered up, compared to the hairline)? Nice result too!!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Excellent result Dr. Kabaker. I just wanted to know how long it usually takes for the scar to fade? I read it is harder to surgically lower a hairline if there is a cowlick involved. Can this procedure be done on any person who does not have a family history of thinning/ receding?

• 4 months later...

The scar take 3-6 months to mature. The scar is usually hidden as downward growing hair actually grows through the scar. A cowlick, when it exists, presents a slight problem as one side of the hairline has its hair growing backward so the scar might be seen. When this condition is noted , I always inform the patient of it. I tell them that if after 6 months the scar on part of the hairline is a concern, they might need a few hundred follicular unit grafts to completely camouflage it. I have only had only 5 patients who actually had grafts done.

This proceure can be done on almost anyone who has a high hairline without a history of hair loss or thinning. Those with tight scalps need scalp expansion making it a 2 stage procedure for them. This is not a procedure for those with progressive pattern baldness .

I have done this surgery on quite a few African-American women with traction alopecia secondary to use of relaxers and tight hairstyles