Almost 6 Months Post HT - Is this normal?

I had an HT with True and Dorin last September. Everything went smoothly, but I am uncomfortable about my post HT progress and I would like to know from others if my progression is normal compared to what you have experienced.

March 1 will be my 6th month post HT. I am noticing some hairs coming out, but not as much as I expected at this point. I can probably count on two hands the number of long wispy hairs I can see growing out of my transplanted area. Most of my transplanted area is located around my temples, although some work was done closer to the middle where I was starting to develop and isolated forelock, so it is possible I can't see some of the new hairs with all of my existing hairs in the way.

Also, if I look closely in the mirror, I can see very tiny follicles in the transplanted area, no more than 1 or 2 mm long. There are a lot of these, but they are very hard to see. But, like I said, as far as my temples go, I am only seeing minimal long hair growth.

Is this normal? Can I expect those little follicles to start sprouting up in the next few months? When I went back for my 3 month checkup, the doctor said I was progressing normally and that I should start really seeing progress in the Spring. Now, three months later (although not quite into the Spring season) I don't have much more development, so I am starting to get worried.

Any advice or discussion would be appreciated.

I had an HT with True and Dorin last September. Everything went smoothly, but I am uncomfortable about my post HT progress and I would like to know from others if my progression is normal compared to what you have experienced.

March 1 will be my 6th month post HT. I am noticing some hairs coming out, but not as much as I expected at this point. I can probably count on two hands the number of long wispy hairs I can see growing out of my transplanted area. Most of my transplanted area is located around my temples, although some work was done closer to the middle where I was starting to develop and isolated forelock, so it is possible I can't see some of the new hairs with all of my existing hairs in the way.

Also, if I look closely in the mirror, I can see very tiny follicles in the transplanted area, no more than 1 or 2 mm long. There are a lot of these, but they are very hard to see. But, like I said, as far as my temples go, I am only seeing minimal long hair growth.

Is this normal? Can I expect those little follicles to start sprouting up in the next few months? When I went back for my 3 month checkup, the doctor said I was progressing normally and that I should start really seeing progress in the Spring. Now, three months later (although not quite into the Spring season) I don't have much more development, so I am starting to get worried.

Normally........at 6 months, you should see pretty evident growth. You may be a late bloomer which we see sometimes with HT growth so don't despair. If you have concerns and are not able to travel and see your Doc, I'd take some very detail pics, send them, and ask their opinion.

Do you have any before/after pics you can post for viewing, along with recent updates? It would help to get a picture of things.

Patience is a virtue with HT's. I've seen many cases where months 6-9 prove very productive. In reality, there's not much you can do other than wait it out and see what happens.

Hang in there!

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

BIB--- sorry to hear that you are not experiencing the "explosion" as of yet.

Hairbank is correct when he says that some people are just slow growers and they experience growth on a 1-2 month delay, compared to the "averages"

In your case, you may find that at 6 months and 1 week things start really popping, or even in the next week.

By 7 months you could be in sprout heaven, wondering what the hell you were worried about!!!!

Just relax, try not to obsess, and lean on us----- We'll take care of you buddy!!!!!!!

Now go drink a beer and watch Tiger's 1st match win at the Accenture--- it's on the Golf channel @ 8:00 eastern.

Chin Up!!!

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

BIB,

I can only echo what my brothers said above...they are spot on. Though it is typical that most people have experienced some sort of explosion by 6 months, this is not a set rule. You could be a slow grower. The fact that you have many white hairs growing in that ar 1mm to 2mm long is a good sign. Many HT hairs start growing in that way and as they grow, the hair shaft thickens and darkens. Hang in there buddy...patience is the hardest thing with an HT...much harder than the surgery or recovery if you ask me. But it's the necessary ingredient.

Do you have any progression pictures you can and/or are willing to share with us?

Bill

BIB

I can't offer any comforting advice like some of the other more experienced members. However I am interested in knowing about your experience with Dr True and Dorin. I have heard some good things about them and am scheduled for a consultation in a week.What were your reasons for selecting this doctor and would you recommend them? YOur feedback would be appreciated.

Ldablo

RE: Ldablo's question.

Man, that's what I like about this particular forum. Real questions. Honest Answers. Relatively few BS people with obvious personal and/or selfish agendas.

(good luck with your consultation Ldablo)

2967 Total Grafts w/ Dr. Cooley on 1/3/07 [1st HT]

Hair Count = 5,427

My Hair Loss Weblog

First of all, let me thank you all for your responses and positive words of encouragement. I will stick it out and be patient (something that is hard for me to do).

Unfortunately, I do not have any before and after photos (other than the ones taken by True & Dorin which are in their possession). I am trying to keep this whole thing relatively low profile, so I haven't been taking many photos or jumping at opportunities to publicize my HT, so forgive me if I don't have any evidence to backup my complaints. I'm a lawyer at a prominent firm in NYC and I'd rather not have anyone know about my HT. That being said, there are many virtues to sharing your information with others and I really do appreciate all the positive feedback and support of this board.

As far as True & Dorin goes, I felt very comfortable with them. I did my research and went in for a few consultations before I actually went forward with my procedure. I think you can search my previous posts to see the steps I took before I got to my ultimate HT decision. Overall I think they did a wonderful job...relatively little pain during the procedure, always kept me informed and have been there to answer any questions I have in a most candid fashion.

Until I see my personal results I cannot say for sure that the procedure was a success for me. If what you all say is true, I expect to see some great results soon (I hope!). I will keep you all posted. Thanks again!

Hi

I've had two Ht's with Dr. True and have my third in March.. Very good experience with them.. They maintain a conservative approach with the best interest of the patient in mind. My results are very good and I'm happy with everything..

You should visit them and see for yourself

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

BIB---- I notice you said that T&D still have possession of your before pics.....

If you call them, they will be more than happy to send them to you, if you desire.

Just a thought buddy!!!!!

Take Care,

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

BIB,

I can completely understand your desire to full confidentiality, however, even if you don't publicize your photos, you may want to consider taking photos from this point further just so you can compare your photos month by month. It is difficult sometimes when you see yourself in the mirror all the time to know just how much growth has occurred. Additionally, there are ways of posting your photos online without showing your face which would ensure confidentiality...just a thought, however. But at the very least...do the pictures for YOU, so you can tell the magnitude of the transition.

Bill

BIB-- I missed the fact that you are a lawyer!!!!!!!!

Well then your perfectly fine!!!!!!

Just call up T&D and subpoena your hair!!!!!!!

Just Kidding Buddy!!!!!

I understand your need for privacy.

We still like you and all that stuff.

(P.S. Everyone say they like BIB, if not he will sue your ass off!! icon_biggrin.gif)

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

BIB,

Without photos it is hard to guess whether you should be concerned. Could you let us know the number of grafts placed and your NW level?

It is possible, you are a late bloomer, it could take up to a year to see final results.

Good luck,

NoBuzz

Sorry, haven't checked the forums for a few days.

You all make valid points. I will talk to T&D about getting my photos and then start taking photos on a regular basis. Maybe I will just crop everything out below the eyebrow icon_smile.gif

@ B Spot...I hope I don't have to subpoena my hair! But if it comes down to that, I might have to do what it takes lol.

@ nobuzz4me, I did 675 grafts on Sept. 1, 2006. I would say I'm a norwood 3 to 4 (a little loss in the crown area and isolation in the forelock area)

Please check out my previous thread to read about my experience and understand my reasons for going with such a low graft count:

http://hair-restoration-info.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/346...711029362#9711029362

• 1 month later...

Hi Bestin Biz, Can you tell me what is happening with your HT, I am actually ahving the exact same problem, I see very little to no growth. It has been about 5 1/2 months. I feel little tiny hairs but very few. It looks as if I actually had more hair before the surgery.

Can you tell me if your transplants hav taken effect yet?

Originally posted by bestinthebusiness:

Hi all

Remember, 6 months is usually the turning point so don't be discouraged.. The hair will also come in sometimes "coarse" or unruly..It is normal.. 6 months is when I start to see a difference but even at 13 months post op from my 2nd, i am seeing a BIG difference from 10 months.. T & D are top notch, i wouldn't worry too much

Bestinbusiness, why only 675?

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Riggs and Nervous-

At 6 months, I think it's safe to say that most people who get HT's see pretty evident growth. The thing you need to keep in mind is that everyone heals and grows differently. You may want to use the find feature here to search a poster by the name of "Gorpy" and view is pics. If memory serves, he was a bit of a late bloomer but eventually it all grew it.

One other thing..................your only course of action if the hair is not growing is to go straight back to the Doc and find out why. We can give you opinions here, but you need to go to the source if the HT isn't progressing like you think it should, or as other HT's patients have experienced.

Hope this helps,

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.