Is the strip method non-acceptable when looking for a surgeon?

When looking to consult a surgeon, would you steer away from the ones that performs strip alongside FUE?

As far as I've come to known, the strip method is vastly outdated?

Some older approahes to strip harvesting might be outdated, but Follicualr Unit Transplantation via strip certainly is not.

Notice: I am an employee of Dr. Paul Rose who is recommended on this community. I am not a doctor. My opinions are not necessarily those of Dr. Rose. My advice is not medical advice.

Dr. Rose is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

As far as i understand, the strip method is done by cutting a rectangular slice of ones donor area, then to extract hairs from that piece, while FUE is plucking out the hairs like you would on a chicken.

It would seem pointless to do the first mentioned method, so I'm possibly wrong about this - would you mind enlightening me?

-- Strip method is cheaper. Literally half the price a lot of the time. Once you're talking multiple HTs for a major MPB problem, this may be the differnce between spending the price of a truck or the price of a cheap house.

-- FUE leaves "thinning" in the donor area that may actually be harder to hide once a person has had several surgeries & a lot of grafts have been removed. But strip-style surgeries close the hole being created, and there isn't such an obvious thinning in the back in most cases. The strip-scar needs to be hidden of course, but modern surgeons are getting them pretty damn small/smooth these days.

-- When taking into account the fact that the donor strip is actually removed & the hole is closed, FUE may ultimately leave you with with more total scar tissue present in the back of your head.

Either way, most surgeons seem to think that doing a combination of both strip & FUE surgeries on a person will ultimately harvest the most possible hairs from the back & sides.

-------------------------------------------------

It's not quite like plucking a chicken. To pluck a chicken you would just pull on the feathers. FUE is more like using a shovel to loosen the dirt around a plant so that you can pull it out to transplant it, without damaging the roots.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

Fr3dr1k,

I recommend reading the following posts:

What are the various methods of hair transplantation and how does it work?

http://hair-restoration-info.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=569...601075613#3601075613

What FUT method is better: Strip or FUE?

http://hair-restoration-info.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=569...791065613#1791065613

Bill

To this day, FUG (strip excision) remains the gold standard for hair transplantation. In most cases, the fine line scar heals as less than 2 mm in width, and with the trichophytic closure technique, it further helps to conceal this scar.

In my practice, the cost of FUE-obtained grafts is around 3 times as expensive per graft.

Jeffrey Epstein, MD, FACS

Miami and NYC

With the same number of grafts & the same doctor, the result in the recipient area will be identical with both strip & FUE. Having said that, strip allows for more grafts to be taken at half the price or less.

Don't discount strip surgery, all top doctors around today perform it and will be performing it for a years to come. It is NOT outdated.

Originally posted by YoungGuy:

With the same number of grafts & the same doctor, the result in the recipient area will be identical with both strip & FUE. Having said that, strip allows for more grafts to be taken at half the price or less.

Don't discount strip surgery, all top doctors around today perform it and will be performing it for a years to come. It is NOT outdated.

Better not be, mines 8 days old!

Listen to Dr. Epstein!

1st HT 1-5-05 - 1894 FUT's Dr. Glenn Charles

2nd HT 12-18-06 - 1542 FUT's Dr. Glenn Charles

Total: 3436 FUT's

Current Protocol: Propecia Daily, Laser Therapy EOD 20 mins.

• 2 years later...

Strip-excision is an older method than F.U.E., but that doesn't imply it's outdated or inferior. Each procedure has its advantages and its limitations, and it's certainly unwise to consider a physician to be archaic simply because he or she offers both options (in fact, I'm almost sure no respectable surgeon will offer only F.U.E., as the method, again, has its limitations).

In my opinion, those physicians that do not perform both methods are doing a disservice to their patients. There is no justifiable, patient centered reason for why clinics should not be offering both.