young people and hair tansplant

Naruto

I just wanted to get a complete idea on why ht is not recommended for young people.

a) isn't propecia supposed to stop hair loss

then whats this talk about progression of hair loss

b) if you want to enjoy your youth anyway does it matter

ps theres probably more points but i want to get this started

1.25mg finasteride

drugstore.com 100 pills $225

quarter them

5% rogaine foam

samsclub $50 4 month supply

vanity my downfall

There is no guarantee that meds will continue to halt your hairloss for an indeterminable period of time.

Say for instance, that Propecia and Dut work on a 23 year old man for 12 years. After that period of time, his hairloss begins to accelerate again.

So, the 23 year old who placed 4000 beautifully, tightly packed grafts into his frontal 3rd (50-60cm's density 65-75fu's cm/2) is now 35 and receding down from the sides/temples and losing in the crown.

Well, the 23 year old was told at 25 (When he went for his HT) that he had 10,000 donor grafts available.

However, at 35 and no medication to slow his loss, he only has about 2500-3500 grafts left.

He also now has about 120-140 cm of bald area to cover with around 3000 grafts.

That works out to be about 25-28 fu's cm/2

So we have a 35 year old guy who has a dense hairline and temples whose density drops over half (from 70 to 28), if he chooses to get "coverage" over the remaining balding areas.

Of course, this is so far-fetched it could never happen, right?

If it happens to 1 out of 100 guys it is too many. 1 out of 1000 is too many as well.

The point is, people between the ages of 20-30 are subject to the pressures of TODAY and rarely look toward tomorrow.

People in this age group will allow themselves to somehow believe that they are different or it won't matter later on in life.

They allow themselves to believe that this Doc or that Doc is "special" or is so much better that he/she could transplant 10-12,000 grafts, where everyone else only quoted 7-8500 (at age 23-25)

Well, their wrong.

Men aged 50+ get HT's EVERYDAY.

Most men recede down from the sides and up from the nape of the neck as they age.

This might surprise you a bit though... I don't really have a problem with people 23, 24, etc.. getting a HT.

If you approach your loss like you will only have 6-7000 grafts available, your going to have to take a more mature hairline.

Your going to have to take a lower density 45-55 as opposed to 60-70.

The problem is--- choice of Doc.

Ethics or pocket money for today.

I can pretty much sell a desperate, self-concious, afraid, willing to grasp any straw 25 year old anything I want.

I could tell them that meds and future hairloss treatments will take care of any future problems.

I could over-inflate their available donor.

In short, I could just tell them what they want to hear.

So, when you ask about us young people, that is a few of the reasons why the right Doc is most important.

Take Care,

J

(BTW, love Naruto.... got the DVR set up to record it daily)

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

B Spot is "spot" on with his comments...couldn't have said it better myself. Thinking long term is important since hairloss is unpredictable. I think there are certainly better times to get an HT than others and it also depends on the type and level of loss.

I agree with B Spot when he says:

"This might surprise you a bit though... I don't really have a problem with people 23, 24, etc.. getting a HT. "

BUT...it MUST be taken on a case by case basis. If you are 23 and have a slight receeding hairline, do you really want to densely pack 2000 grafts to lower your hairline? What about future loss? Perhaps getting an HT in this particular case is not the best idea because even if you work conservatively with regard to the number of grafts to lower your hairline...if you end up being a NW6 or 7, do you really WANT a low hairline?

My philosophy is this: Start conservative and if appropriate, be more liberal later.

It's like running a marathon...you aren't going to sprint and burn all your energy in the first 500 yards if you are running a 5 mile race! You simply won't have enough energy to finish the race, or by the time you finish, you'll be in bad shape.

In my analogy, equate donor hair with energy and the marathon as your bald(ing) scalp. If you spend all your donor hair too soon, you won't have enough to cover the balding areas if/when they come. The imperfection in my analogy comes because in a marathon, you know exactly how far you are running, whereas, you simply don't know how much hair you will lose. That's why it's better to be safe than sorry..due to the unpredictability of it.

Hope this helps

Bill

Originally posted by Naruto:

I just wanted to get a complete idea on why ht is not recommended for young people.

a) isn't propecia supposed to stop hair loss

then whats this talk about progression of hair loss

b) if you want to enjoy your youth anyway does it matter

ps theres probably more points but i want to get this started

B spot and Bill have given you some great info..........I'll add my take to your Q's

a) No.....Propecia (Finasteride) isn't guaranteed to stop hair loss. It may not work at all, it may slow it down, it may stop it for good, it may help you regrow some. It isn't proven to work for everyone. I believe up to 60-70% experienced positive benefits in the trials but would have to look it up to be sure.

b) You need to take a balanced look at your life. Enjoyment doesn't stop when you hit 30............I turned 40 this year and probably enjoy my life more now than I did at y our age...........and............didn't care for hair loss any more at age 38 when I had HT #1 than when i started losing it at age 23. The point being.......if you load up with grafts now, you may sacrifice some native hair in the process, or leave yourself with an empty donor bank account at age 40 with a werewolf hairline and a huge unnatural looking bald spot in the crown. Take it slow and plan for the future...............put some contingency plans into place.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

hi guys

thanks for the advice

b-spot about naruto, you have to get bittorrent and download the series, they have english subtitles and the sounds music and voice are 1000x times better.

actually my personal hairloss isnt in the hair line. i actually dont mind where it is. but i have an overall thinning behind my hairline.

at one point las year my hair stopped growing. so i used kirkland 5% minoxidal and it started growing again. but i was still losing hair by the tens daily. at that point you could defintly see my hair had already thinned. but after 6 months i couldnt take the itching and got my doctor to prescribe propecia and it worked the same or even better though im still losing hair daily but since the past 6 months of using propecia that has decreased as well. so i im hoping the shedding part is going to end and im gonna be in at the point where i might have real regrowth. I was hoping in another year after continous growth and decrease loss i could goto

dr hasson and wong and get a filling in through out my head, not my hairline specific. But I was thinking spread out. im concerned about volume as currently my only hairstyle is to come it back and it looks full. but i enjoy coming it however i want. its really a downer when people see you and look at your head instead of your face ..... not to be sexist but i guess this is kind of how girls feel when guys look at their chest instead of their face.

anyways new question if the hair in the sides and back are gonna fallout as i age wont the ones transplanted fall as well on top???

1.25mg finasteride

drugstore.com 100 pills $225

quarter them

5% rogaine foam

samsclub $50 4 month supply

vanity my downfall

anyways new question if the hair in the sides and back are gonna fallout as i age wont the ones transplanted fall as well on top???

Naruto,

It is true that the sides and back MAY get a bit thinner with age, but the hair on the sides and back are resistant to DHT, so the transplanted hair will be permanent.

Bill