Avodart Pharmacological/Clincial Study?

vocor1

Folks:

When I bought Proscar, it came with (as most prescription drugs do) a study or a scientific briefing on the drug. It has info in it like molecular weight, molecular structure, recommended usage, side-effects, etc. That kind of information is VERY important, I believe, in assessing the risk/reward of taking a drug. I found that study INVALUABLE in deciding how to use Proscar to combat my hairloss. It also set me up for realistic expectations on the chances of side effects and effects on my hormonal system.

Now, the question is:

WHERE can I get that info on Avodart?

Does the drug come with that info, like it did with Proscar? With Proscar and other drugs, it is a little packet-like piece of paper that you have to unfold over and over to read the whole report.

Again, this sort of information, though it isn't exactly light reading, is very useful. For example with Propecia, 2% experience erectile dysfunction. In my book, that still doesn't counteract/overcome the potential benefits of taking Proscar/Propecia. The odds are good that you'll be in the 98% that don't experience that side effect is what I'm getting at, so that is a good bet to take.

The document also details some of the clinical trials and sample sizes of the control groups. This is also useful information.

Hopefully, I've described what I'm looking for well enough. Can anybody help out? Thanks!

vocor1

Knowledge is Power

If the worst question is the one never asked, then the worst answer is the one never shared.

Folks:

When I bought Proscar, it came with (as most prescription drugs do) a study or a scientific briefing on the drug. It has info in it like molecular weight, molecular structure, recommended usage, side-effects, etc. That kind of information is VERY important, I believe, in assessing the risk/reward of taking a drug. I found that study INVALUABLE in deciding how to use Proscar to combat my hairloss. It also set me up for realistic expectations on the chances of side effects and effects on my hormonal system.

Now, the question is:

WHERE can I get that info on Avodart?

Does the drug come with that info, like it did with Proscar? With Proscar and other drugs, it is a little packet-like piece of paper that you have to unfold over and over to read the whole report.

Again, this sort of information, though it isn't exactly light reading, is very useful. For example with Propecia, 2% experience erectile dysfunction. In my book, that still doesn't counteract/overcome the potential benefits of taking Proscar/Propecia. The odds are good that you'll be in the 98% that don't experience that side effect is what I'm getting at, so that is a good bet to take.

The document also details some of the clinical trials and sample sizes of the control groups. This is also useful information.

Hopefully, I've described what I'm looking for well enough. Can anybody help out? Thanks!

vocor1

Knowledge is Power

If the worst question is the one never asked, then the worst answer is the one never shared.

Yes this information packet comes attached to the avodart bottle. I just recieved my perscription last week.

Sorry but I didnt read the info. To much reading.

tp:

Oh man, is there any way you can scan it and e-mail it to me or post it?

Or, I can e-mail you, pay you for copies and postage, and you can mail a copy of it to me?

Just curious. If anyone else can do this sort of thing or point me to that on the internet, that is greatly appreciated!

vocor1

Knowledge is Power

Folks:

Dart pointing me to where I could get the prescribing info on Avodart. It was just what I was looking for.

I'm going to read that and the Proscar prescribing info and post a comparison or summary later on.

You know what they say about Knowledge . . .

vocor1

Knowledge is Power

Great info Justin. A lot of stuff there I haven't read before. I wish I could figure out why gyno appeared in only 1% of their test cases yet it appears to affect about 20-25% of the people that have used it real world on the forums. It makes me wonder how many of the people that dropped out of the study might have experienced something along those lines (I would have dropped out quick if I'd developed man breasts). On other hairloss sites people are mixing various drugs to control gyno. They appear to know what they are doing (or some of them do anyway) but it seems extremely risky at best to me.

Dart

vocor1, sorry man. I put that in the trash.

I was the piece of paper that is folded up that opens up and has 10,000 words on it.

Yup, trash. If you can wait until I reorder in 3 months I will mail it to ya.

tp:

No worries. I got what I need now. Thanks!

others:

I tend to trust the clinical study over random posts, honestly. Some of the "placebo effect" may in fact be at work.

Interesting about people making a "hormonal cocktail" to counter the possible gyno effects.

Man, I SO do NOT want to be popping like 10 pills to deal with a mess. Forget it!

Interesting, though, is that (off the top of my head), the gyno effect of Avodart appeared in like 1.3% of all patients, and .9% of all Proscar patients during the first year of treatment.

That is a difference of 50%, but really, 1.3% or .9% is almost the same. There isn't a big difference there.

My opinion right this minute is: if you responded *well* with Proscar, you'll respond well with Avodart. And vice versa.

Again, I haven't read it all yet, but quite a few things caught my eye. Mainly, how positively similar the side effects were. I guess that is sort of a "duh", but honestly, I only thought the gyno effects were with Avodart and not Proscar. In fact, they are with both, and in almost identical percentages.

Interesting. Let's keep on this one, guys. Thanks for all the info so far.

Dart:

What site are you referring to on "users controlling the gyno"? Can you paste some links? I'm curious if these guys are taking preventative measures or reactionary ones. I'd be interested in reading some threads on those lines. Thanks.

vocor1

Knowledge is Power

Vocor1

My email is slomo30@hotmail.com . If you get a chance give me a yell and I'll send you what links I have (or anyone else that wants in on the discussion). Out of respect to Pat I hate to post to other forums. I agree though...hormonal cocktails doesn't sound like my type of gameplan. I'd read the gyno possibilities with Proscar/Propecia also but while the clinical studies say the chances are roughly the same the posts seem overwhelmingly higher with it occuring in Durastride/Avodart users.

Dart

I have been told that in some cases Avodart can actually cause hair shedding, just the opposite of its intent. I'm wondering how much test documentation they have on this stuff. It would be no fun to be one of the ones with that reaction to this drug. WWH

My doc told me that the shedding that ocurs during intial use is a good sign that a smaller hair is being shed and a newer thicker one is replacing it. I have experienced this "shedding" and let me tell you, it is freaky! Alot of hairs in the tub... After about 3-4 days the shedding subsides. It seems to come every month as it did with Propecia, so hopefully my doc is right. Where did you hear that the shedding is permanent rather than just replacing a smaller thinner hair from the follicle? I'd like to ask about this...