Do most surgeons require a minimum number of graphs?

I'm a NW2 and I desperately want to get my temples filled in, and also some grafts on top behind my hair line. I've heard most surgeons have a minimum number of grafts they'll do or a minimum amount you have to spend. When I went to MHR they did nothing under $4000, which I found strange. I'm not going back by the way because I've heard about their negative reputation. The work I need seems to be minor and I don't want to spend more than I have to. So, are there surgeons out there that don't put a minimum requirement on procedures?

I'm a NW2 and I desperately want to get my temples filled in, and also some grafts on top behind my hair line. I've heard most surgeons have a minimum number of grafts they'll do or a minimum amount you have to spend. When I went to MHR they did nothing under $4000, which I found strange. I'm not going back by the way because I've heard about their negative reputation. The work I need seems to be minor and I don't want to spend more than I have to. So, are there surgeons out there that don't put a minimum requirement on procedures?

Fl Boy

I think any ethical doctor will not base the surgery on a number but rather your needs. With FUE you can go pretty low because there is no true incision.. With strip , personally , I wouldn't go less than 1200 or so..

BUT first of course we need info on you ..

Age? etc..

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Fl Boy,

Mrjb is correct that FUE lends itself to smaller procedures. I know Dr. Feller does lunchtime FUE of 200 grafts. I believe he can go as high as c1200 grafts with FUE.

Bear in mind that FUE is more expensive than strip. I think Dr Fellers lunchtime FUE is $8 per graft. There are other recommended Drs. for FUE, check out the Coalition Surgeons on this site.

Good luck.

"Plan for the worst & hope for the best"

Are you interested in a smaller session because you feel you will require only a few hundred grafts to meet your needs? Or are you simply trying to save money? If the former is case, I recommend you check out FUE for a small session. Dr. Rose performs this procedure, as do other reputable physicians, like Dr. Feller and Dr. Harris. If the later is the case, it is probably better if you wait, save the money, and try to meet your goals in a single session if possible.

This is only general advice, as I do not know the intimate details of your medical history and hair loss situation

Notice: I am an employee of Dr. Paul Rose who is recommended on this community. I am not a doctor. My opinions are not necessarily those of Dr. Rose. My advice is not medical advice.

Dr. Rose is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Thanks for the quick replies. First off I'm 26 and have been experiencing mild hair loss throughout my frontal region for about 6 years. I'd say my hair line has receded about 1/8 inch since the age of 19 and has also lost density. Basically, I just want to fill in my entire hair line and the temples as well. I want more density so I don't feel like I'm always having to style my hair to cover the problem area.

I've been on propecia for 4 months and it seems to be doing its job. Now, I'm thinking of adding a topical to try and get some density back in the hair line. Minoxidil claims to not work on the hair line, but I've heard about many guys having good results. If that doesn't work I believe surgery is my only option. If I do have it done, I want everything completed in one session because in my opinion 700-800 is the max I would need to fulfill my goal. Money is an issue as well, but my hair is a bigger concern. FUE sounds more appealing, but the price deters me a bit. I guess what it comes down to is that I need to see a reputable surgeon and go from there. There's just so much going on in my life right now and it's difficult to allot time for this.

2 things come to mind here:

1) Try the minox, you might be happily surprised. Some respond very well, even in the frontal area.

2) Get some opinions from the top surgeons. You may find that you need fewer or more grafts than you thought. This might inform your decision to go with FUE, strip, or to simply wait and really check out the medical therapy options instead of surgery.

Notice: I am an employee of Dr. Paul Rose who is recommended on this community. I am not a doctor. My opinions are not necessarily those of Dr. Rose. My advice is not medical advice.

Dr. Rose is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Anyone who needs less than 1000 grafts should only do fue sessions.

If your hairloss excellerates or you simply are not happy with the process, results, do not have money to continue treating your baldness, you can shave your head, or buzz down to a very low guard with the clippers.

There is absolutely NO SURGEON in the WORLD who will put in writing that you will be able to shave down to a #1,2, or 3 guard after strip surgery.

I hope you weigh my comments heavily.

I would also contact Dr. Rose or the Hair Loss Cure and set up a consult.

Thanks,

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Fly Boy,

You've gotten some excellent advice here already.

Minoxodil is certainly worth trying.

I tend to agree that anyone who needs less than 1000 grafts should consider FUE...

However, try to remember that 1000 grafts or less will not make much of a cosmetic difference if spread out over a larger area.

Also, I too would hope that a doctor would taylor to YOUR needs rather than have a minimum (or maximum) number of grafts per session. Elite and ethical physicans are more concerned about the patient's well being than their wallet.

Bill

I'm surprised nobody else has said this yet . . .

You're a 26yo guy with hair loss, and you want to get grafts below the NW#2 level?

Risky. Ris-s-ky.

I'm not saying you can't do it, but I'm saying that in most cases you shouldn't do it. If you still wanna pursue such a low hairline, then you need to be VERY realistic & far sighted with yourself about what your future loss pattern could be. Family history, miniaturization signs right now, etc.

(And don't listen to Dr. Armani's clinic on this particular issue, either!)

------------------------------------------------

i would say a norwood 2 at the age of 26 is not so bad, especially since he said he saw his first loss of hair at 19

if u take 19 and go to 26, thats 7 years.

with that being said there is a chance and probability he wont go too far down the norwood scale.

remember i said probability, MPB is very spontaneis in which i mean in can be slow several years and just spook up on you.

one thing is i dont think norwood 2 on a 26 year old is bad, its just maturity

but if you do go on with your surgery just be prepared that you may several other surgeries in the future to catch up with your hairloss

Originally posted by tisab:

i would say a norwood 2 at the age of 26 is not so bad, especially since he said he saw his first loss of hair at 19

if u take 19 and go to 26, thats 7 years.

with that being said there is a chance and probability he wont go too far down the norwood scale.

remember i said probability, MPB is very spontaneis in which i mean in can be slow several years and just spook up on you.

one thing is i dont think norwood 2 on a 26 year old is bad, its just maturity

but if you do go on with your surgery just be prepared that you may several other surgeries in the future to catch up with your hairloss

]

My hair loss has been very slow, which is unusual, I think. As far as future surgery, I'm hoping that propecia will halt any further hair loss and I won't need more work.

Two comments:

-- I'm not saying that NW#2 at 26 is bad. I'm just saying that getting HTs for a sub-#2 appearance seems iffy at 26 years old.

Getting a NW#2 hairline can look pretty natural even with some thinning showing later on. But if you're down in the NW#1 range, you look pretty weird with ANY signs of baldness showing later on in life. Getting a NW#1 at any age is really "swinging for the fence," so doing it at 26 seems risky to me.

-- "As far as future surgery, I'm hoping that propecia will halt any further loss and I won't need work."

Bad assumption. I'm not just being generally conservative again, I'm actually going off a lot of long-term users on this. Search the net, and you find lots of complaints that finasteride can begin losing its effectiveness after only 4-7 years. And even though this doesn't always happen, there are also a fair number of complaints that Fin's side effects are still worsening several years into usage.

Fin is a good drug to have in the MPB arsenal, but I sure wouldn't bet on it to hold my MPB at any given point. It seems to be only a slowdown of MPB for several years, rather than a true stoppage.

Originally posted by calvinmd:

Two comments:

-- I'm not saying that NW#2 at 26 is bad. I'm just saying that getting HTs for a sub-#2 appearance seems iffy at 26 years old.

Getting a NW#2 hairline can look pretty natural even with some thinning showing later on. But if you're down in the NW#1 range, you look pretty weird with ANY signs of baldness showing later on in life. Getting a NW#1 at any age is really "swinging for the fence," so doing it at 26 seems risky to me.

-- "As far as future surgery, I'm hoping that propecia will halt any further loss and I won't need work."

Bad assumption. I'm not just being generally conservative again, I'm actually going off a lot of long-term users on this. Search the net, and you find lots of complaints that finasteride can begin losing its effectiveness after only 4-7 years. And even though this doesn't always happen, there are also a fair number of complaints that Fin's side effects are still worsening several years into usage.

Fin is a good drug to have in the MPB arsenal, but I sure wouldn't bet on it to hold my MPB at any given point. It seems to be only a slowdown of MPB for several years, rather than a true stoppage.

You're right, it probably is risky, but it's all I think about. I don't want a NW1 hair line, I just want to fill in my thinning hair line and temples a bit. Something just to make it look fuller. As far as propecia is concerned I've heard that some users notice the effectiveness decline, but I've also heard of people being on it for 8+ years with no more hair loss. I'm sure it depends on the person. I'm hoping it will give me at least 5-6 years and hopefully by then stem cell is available.