Propecia every other day

Guest youngguy24

Guest youngguy24

Many people on these forums say that they take Propecia every other day and that their HT doctor has suggested they do this. Well as I have stated in a previous post the same thing was suggested to me and so I gave it a shot. I took Propecia every other day for about four months. Basically what happened was I went from a Norwood 2(very happy with my hair) to a Norwood 3 or 4 (very unhappy with my hair) during that time. I am assuming this was due to taking the Propecia every other day. I'm just shocked that I haven't seen anyone else post that they had major shedding after switching to Propecia every other day. Can anyone explain why this happened, I'm assuming it's rare. From the other posts I've read Propecia actively blocks DHT for 72 hours. If anyone can explain why Propecia seemed to have lost effectiveness when only taken every other day it would be appreciated. Also if someone was considering only using Propecia every other day and asked my advice I would encourage them to take it everyday.

Guest youngguy24

Many people on these forums say that they take Propecia every other day and that their HT doctor has suggested they do this. Well as I have stated in a previous post the same thing was suggested to me and so I gave it a shot. I took Propecia every other day for about four months. Basically what happened was I went from a Norwood 2(very happy with my hair) to a Norwood 3 or 4 (very unhappy with my hair) during that time. I am assuming this was due to taking the Propecia every other day. I'm just shocked that I haven't seen anyone else post that they had major shedding after switching to Propecia every other day. Can anyone explain why this happened, I'm assuming it's rare. From the other posts I've read Propecia actively blocks DHT for 72 hours. If anyone can explain why Propecia seemed to have lost effectiveness when only taken every other day it would be appreciated. Also if someone was considering only using Propecia every other day and asked my advice I would encourage them to take it everyday.

youngguy24,

Wish I could give you a definite but meds effect us all a little differently. From your post, I'm guessing you were taking Propecia every day, then switched to every other day, correct? If so, I believe any change in your routine may cause a shed of sorts. In your case, it sounds like it's been severe.

I was advised by Dr. Wong to take finasteride every other day after my recent HT. Now, I just started immediately after the HT and was shaved down. So, it's a little difficult to measure success. However, I do believe I've seen a few hairs sprouting along the hairline the reach down below my "old" native hairline so I believe I'm starting to see some results.

If what you're experiencing is a shed, your hair should return. You may want to call a HT surgeon or dermatologist for further advice in your situation. It appears somewhat unique.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Originally posted by youngguy24:

I'm 99% positive that you are experiencing a shed. Stick it out. If anything, you may want to consider upping your doseage to once per day now that the shed is out of the way. Consider throwing in some MSM to help the hair that was shed grow back faster.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Guest youngguy24

Hairbank, yes I switched from taking propecia everyday to every other day (for about 4 months) then switched back to every day.

Robert, I made the switch back to taking propecia every day about a year ago. There have been some imporvements but still a large change that is for the worst.

Guest youngguy24

I had been using 2% minoxdil but recently switched to using 5% in the last 3 months and I ahve had some minor hair growth

Perhaps the "1, 2 punch" of the Finasteride and the 5% minoxidil twice a day will kick your regrowth up a notch. It wouldn't hurt to add Nizoral 2% to the equation 3 times a week to boot. You may see some pretty good regrowth. You will almost definitely maintain and thicken. Adding a good thickening shampoo and conditioner such as Nioxin Actives or Jason's Thin-to-thick could help your hair cosmetically as well.

-Robert

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

youngguy24...it is posts like yours that make me nervous to start Propecia. As Robert may remember, I was on Avodart a fairly short time and got spooked by sheds and quit. I had never taken Propecia (due to stomach upset I had the one week I tried it). I have been considering going back on it, but I just get nervous when considering how it might affect young guys who are beginning to lose their hair. It really seems in SOME instances (not all) to lead to heavy sheds that might leave you with less hair even after any regrowth- net, net.

Which concerns me a little. I have a hair transplant coming up in July, and I want to make sure I get the most mileage possible out of it. But I remain nervous that my hairline will deteriorate once I get on Propecia, even if I do it at the time of surgery. All I know is that those meds are STRONG, and as Robert and others have warned, you need to be ready to experience heavy shedding and be strong enough mentally to get throught it.

Current Regimen:

Nizoral 1% (3x weekly)

EMU Oil (nightly application)

MSM (3,000mg daily)

Viviscal (2x daily)

Daily Multivitamin

I got on Propecia a week after my transplant and it didn't seem to be the cause of shedding, but I think it was the shock loss from the transplant. It lasted about a week and wasn't awful. My hair is already diffusely thinning, but it doesnt seem any worse. I am now at day 104 of Propecia use and it seems my loss has been slowed to "normal" loss in the shower. I hope that I get some regrowth within the year.

1,614 with Dr. Pistone on 2/3/06 in Marlton, NJ.

As long as the moon shall rise

As long as the rivers flow

As long as the sun shall shine

And the grass will grow

Let me listen, I will learn to speak

The old language

Yes, I yearn to bathe in blue skies

And fall apart from the world of machines

Regain my feet and my pounding heart

My Hair Loss Weblog

Originally posted by dhuge67:

I got on Propecia a week after my transplant and it didn't seem to be the cause of shedding, but I think it was the shock loss from the transplant. It lasted about a week and wasn't awful. My hair is already diffusely thinning, but it doesnt seem any worse. I am now at day 104 of Propecia use and it seems my loss has been slowed to "normal" loss in the shower. I hope that I get some regrowth within the year.

I experienced some shock loss after both of my procedures but it was nothing awful. In fact, it sounds like the idea of shedding spooks a lot of guys a lot more than it should. If it's possible, just try to keep your mind off of it. Just remember that in the long run, you'll be much better off.

-Robert

Guest youngguy24

There is something I neglected to say in my first post. Let me start over and give you my full history on Propecia use. I started propecia the same month I graduated college, May of 2004. I had amazing results taking propecia everyday for about 8 to 9 months. Then a Doctor suggested I take it every other day so I did that for about 4 months and had major shedding. I have now been back on propecia using it every day for almost a year if not a little longer. Gone from a Norwood 2 to a Norwood 3 or 4.

That scares me a lot. I will have to stop taking it for some months after marriage. Will I loose all the benefits I am getting now? Will I move from Norwood 3 to 4? When I restart it will it not start working again as good as it is working now?

Ravi Vide

As much as people talk about taking it every other day, is it okay to take two in a day? A couple times I may have done this, because I forgot if had, in fact taken it.

1,614 with Dr. Pistone on 2/3/06 in Marlton, NJ.

As long as the moon shall rise

As long as the rivers flow

As long as the sun shall shine

And the grass will grow

Let me listen, I will learn to speak

The old language

Yes, I yearn to bathe in blue skies

And fall apart from the world of machines

Regain my feet and my pounding heart

My Hair Loss Weblog

Originally posted by dhuge67:

As much as people talk about taking it every other day, is it okay to take two in a day? A couple times I may have done this, because I forgot if had, in fact taken it.

It's definitely not going to hurt you because Finasteride is taken as Proscar (5mg) daily for to combat an enlarged prostate. On the flip side, taking extra won't help maintain or regrow your hair any better than the standard dose.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Originally posted by dannyg:

Why are you going to stop taking it?? are you having seide effects

Dannyg, Luckily I did not get any side effects till now. But my doc said it is not advisable to continue it when planning for a kid. So may be next year I will be planning for a baby and I will have to discontinue it for some time.

So it is a new question. Is it not good taking finasteride when planning for kids?

- Jagdish

Ravi Vide

• 3 weeks later...

you dont have to stop taking it if you are trying to get your wife pregnant. I read couple of articles where it stated that propecia isnt traceable in the sperm to have any effect. Any about the watery semen, it doesnt matter either bc its not reducing sperm count.

tkerr22 and marino450 are correct from everything I have read. It is completely fine to take Propecia while trying to have children. In fact, I am 99% sure Merck removed the warnings it had concerning this from Propecia labels.

-Robert

Originally posted by jagdish:

But my doc said it is not advisable to continue it when planning for a kid.

- Jagdish

heres some info jag...

http://otispregnancy.org/pdf/propecia.pdf

I dont know for sure if its a factor, and im pretty certain this forum doesnt either.

IMO, shouldnt be telling you not to listen to your doc's advice....especially when it involves a child....if youre unsure, get a second or third opinion from a doctor., or an endocrinologist that specializes in reproduction.