How many grafts will be enough?

Hello peps!

I have emailed a lot of surgeons and all of them are telling me different amount of grafts I should get and its from 1500 - 3500.

What do you guys think?

Docs on this forum can also tell me what they think or PM.

Regards// Robo

DSC_0008.jpg.7976fa95efaeffd733a65b647f9ed2d4.jpg

This graft calculator can be a useful tool. To have the appearance of good density in the front, you'll want at least 45 grafts per sq cm, probably more like 55 per sq cm.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

your hairloss seems somewhat like mine. however when i had shaved my head it looked like i had more hair than when I grew it out longer. how is your density behind the temples? I think to acuratly get a feel for you hairloss let it grow out for a few months. If you are thin through the top, then I would go with a higher number of grafts and try to get it done with one pass and maintain with propecia. if you are thin only in the temples and forelock then I think it would depend what density you do will determine how many grafts, if you went 45-50 I think still it would be 2500, just a guess.

Robo--- What are you trying to accomplish now and in the future? I think that is the question to ask at this point in time. I can see where you have recessed and gone bald in the frontal region, but without your hair being longer it is impossible to tell how much work you actually need. Remember, do not fall in love with a specific graft count, rather look through photos of patients who exhibit a hairloss pattern and hairtype close to yours. That will help you determine what type of density you are looking for and how many grafts it will take to achieve that.

BTW, could you post some side photos so we can see if you have any recession in the lower temple region? I can't see from this photo, and that might be why a surgeon may have quoted you 3500 grafts.

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Troy you read my mind buddy!!!! I just read your post and could have saved my breath!!!! You must be a faster typist than me. Good post icon_biggrin.gif

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Hello.

Troy: Well I would say that my shaved hair looks like long hair, the thining is where it it when its long also. The clinic told me they will do around around 50cm2 and Im on propecia. The clinic Im thinking of is www.ilterclinic.se . But I will take you advice and check other sites and the patients grafts to compare.

the B spot: Well I cannot think much of the future as I could loose more hair as Im only 23 but I have to think about now and not 5 years into the future. Im a bit worried about the graft that it wont accomplish what I want but the clinic told me that 1500 fue should do it.

Do you guys have any good sites I can check patients that have gotten an amount of grafts and see their results.

I also did a picture from the side of my head, both left and right.

//ROBO

DSC_0001.jpg.8421fa71ae18f9c0f1b15d76f93ec806.jpg

B, funny we were posting at the same time the same thing, I guess great minds think alike. Robo, because you are 23 and thinning, my guess is it will thin through the top. So I would suggest you cosult with docs that will keep that in mind. You can do online consulting through this forum. Another person you may want to talk to is Robert, he is a freequent poster here and has a tremendous knowledge of the ht industry, he had his first ht at 25. I suggest you look at the docs they recommend on this forum and spend a couple months on this forum asking questions and reading posts. I believe you find the answer to all your questions doing so. good luck

Troy: Thanx for your opinion but Ive been on the forum for a while now and when it comes to a decision like this, the forum info do not help as its a question individual answer I asked now about the graft thing.

And I understand that the docs from this forum are good but hey to be realistic its a USA forum so ofcourse there are just US docs but I dont belive they are alone in the world to do great surgeory, I think many docs out there do not use forums and specially not docs from other countrys are not so into the internet thing.

Anyways any feedback would be good from peps, so please give it to me!

Robo, this site is actually attempting to acheive an international flavor. I know we currently have a few Canadian doctors and also Dr. Tykocinski from Brazil in the Coalition at this time. What you have to understand is that doctors and clincs do not want the scrutiny of the internet nor be held to a very public standard, so do not simply wave off what is being accomplished here as hemispheric inclusion. Anyway-- I did check out the site you posted--- looks pretty good, I must say. I will caution you though-- using .6 mm extraction tools will most certainly result in transection, and that is ANY fue doctor. I think 80% growth rate is a reasonable target for any fue session, so if you have 1500 grafts done plan on 300 or so not growing. If more grow, great, just measure your expectations. At your age however, if you must get a HT, I would recommend fue and if you do not substantially lower your hairline you should achieve your goals without potential disaster 15-20 years down the road. I hope this helps, and regardless of the clinic you choose I hope you post your results and describe your experiences. Good Luck!!!!

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Originally posted by RoboNick:

Hello peps!

I have emailed a lot of surgeons and all of them are telling me different amount of grafts I should get and its from 1500 - 3500.

What do you guys think?

Docs on this forum can also tell me what they think or PM.

Regards// Robo

ROBO I just had my 2nd procedure, you need at least 3000- maybe even 3500, trust me. 1500 won't do much for you. Good luck

RoboNick

I'd like to warn you about 1 thing with your chosen clinic. Their website suggests to me that they do all kinds of cosmetic surgery. That is not a sure fire way to get the very best results.

Also, given your age, you need to be more conservative with the grafts that you plan to use. 2000 is all I'd use, and I'd make a very conservative hairline - at least 7.5cm.

Originally posted by UGLY MAN 4 LIFE:

RoboNick

I'd like to warn you about 1 thing with your chosen clinic. Their website suggests to me that they do all kinds of cosmetic surgery. That is not a sure fire way to get the very best results.

Exactly! This is a major warning sign and very common in Europe where there aren't enough HT customers for clinics to specialize in HTs only (and I'm from Europe so I'm not just saying that because I'm biased). You don't want wannabe HT docs practicing on your head!

Hi guys!

I realy missed that they also do other cosmetic surgery, where do you find it saying that they do?? icon_confused.gif

I would never go to a clinic that makes other cosmetic surgery then HT as you guys say.

//Robo

Hi guys!

I realy missed that they also do other cosmetic surgery, where do you find it saying that they do?? icon_confused.gif

//Robo

Well it doesn't say so actually... sorry icon_redface.gif. Looks like what I said doesn't apply to this clinic. This doc appears to do HTs in Belgium and other countries too to keep himself busy doing HTs only.

Hi guys!

I would never go to a clinic that makes other cosmetic surgery then HT as you guys say.

//Robo

WOOPS! My mistake, the website defaulted to another language, I couldn't read it so I clicked on the chest and say some guy doing what I thought were peck implants... LOL!!

Yeah so please do not scare me, Im already shooked up as it is icon_biggrin.gif

I thought I would make one more consultation but this time with the surgeon and not only the consultation. What do you guys think about that?

Its better to hear the opinion and suggestions from the surgeon then a consultator , right?

/Robo

Yeah so please do not scare me, Im already shooked up as it is icon_biggrin.gif

I thought I would make one more consultation but this time with the surgeon and not only the consultation. What do you guys think about that?

Its better to hear the opinion and suggestions from the surgeon then a consultator , right?

/Robo

Yes, definately! I would ask to be able to meet some of the patients in person too. Preferably meet a patient just before the operation and then immediately post-op... If they don't have anything to hide, it shouldn't be a problem. I went to a local clinic and they showed me pictures of all their fantastic results, but when I asked about the possibility of meeting a patient they came up with all sorts of excuses and I never got to see one.

I'd be interested to hear how it goes - I'm not so far away from Stockholm myself and I need some crown work doing... Ask if I can come and watch your HT and write up a report about the clinic to post here (if someone is watching he will be anxious to do the best possible work icon_wink.gif).

Bor du i Sverige?

PB: I will ask them about an appointment with the surgeon and consult with him and then I will ask him if I can meet up some of his patient.

About the watching thing I can also ask them if you are interested, shouldnt be a problem I think.

Japp jag bor i Sverige, sj?¤lv?

//ROBO