New hair, time will tell.

Get ready for the waiting game!

Give yourself at least 6 months to see cosmetic results. I got 1417 my first HT and the 1476 the second. I'm going for 2000 the third ..

Good luck

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Happyhair,

I believe that they went low enough with hairline. Remember, you can always go lower but never higher. You have a lot of real estate to cover there and the hairline is fine in my opinion. Even with future HT consider refining but not lowering.

I don't know how much they educated you prior to surgery but 1500 grafts will certainly give you more hair but will not provide a whole lot of density because it looks like they put them over entire scalp and not just focusing on the frontal portion.

I am a little concerned about the clinic you chose. I did check out their website and I would think that for someone who has performed 1500 HT's he would have more than 6 clients to showcase and especially ones that don't have a pluggy look from 20 feet away.This is it for others http://www.affordablehairtransplants.com/index.html

I mentioned this because you did make reference to getting another HT in the near future. Please research the hell out of this site and you'll see that there are some world class surgeons that will provide you with exceptional results. Dr. Frayser seems to focus on "discount" HT's and that scares me a bit. Some of the Coalition physicians on this site are reasonably priced but also the best in the world. Yes you might have to travel.

You will go thru a little turmoil in the next few months and possibly start to see some results around the 5 month mark or so and it will certainly be better than prior and give you some more coverage. I just honestly think that you need to consider a better surgeon for your next HT with a better plan for you and will provide the results I would think that you are looking for. Good luck with everything and thankyou for sharing your experience.i

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Originally posted by NervousNelly:

Happyhair,

I believe that they went low enough with hairline. Remember, you can always go lower but never higher. You have a lot of real estate to cover there and the hairline is fine in my opinion. Even with future HT consider refining but not lowering.

I don't know how much they educated you prior to surgery but 1500 grafts will certainly give you more hair but will not provide a whole lot of density because it looks like they put them over entire scalp and not just focusing on the frontal portion.

I am a little concerned about the clinic you chose. I did check out their website and I would think that for someone who has performed 1500 HT's he would have more than 6 clients to showcase and especially ones that don't have a pluggy look from 20 feet away.This is it for others http://www.affordablehairtransplants.com/index.html

I mentioned this because you did make reference to getting another HT in the near future. Please research the hell out of this site and you'll see that there are some world class surgeons that will provide you with exceptional results. Dr. Frayser seems to focus on "discount" HT's and that scares me a bit. Some of the Coalition physicians on this site are reasonably priced but also the best in the world. Yes you might have to travel.

You will go thru a little turmoil in the next few months and possibly start to see some results around the 5 month mark or so and it will certainly be better than prior and give you some more coverage. I just honestly think that you need to consider a better surgeon for your next HT with a better plan for you and will provide the results I would think that you are looking for. Good luck with everything and thankyou for sharing your experience.i

Thanks Mrjb and NervousNelly, thank you you both for your input and I do intend on going to a better doctor in the future, I basically chose this route cause they could just start the process for me and then later I can get it refined with a better hairline upfront and to fill it all in with a doctor that has more expeirence. I agree with you in that they should have consintrated the 1500 more towards the front, instead of all over. Overall this was not a bad Doc to start out with, cause you know most of us will need more than one procedure, so if I choose to go cheaper than is my opinion and later will pay for the finishing touches if it is needed from other doctors icon_wink.gif

Welcome Happy,

I am glad to read your realistic comments. Your case is similar to my 1st HT, I got an ok result with outdated but sound techniques. My second HT gave me the finishing touches I wanted using Ultra Refined techniques. You'll be fine, this HT will fit your needs for a while. These days because of increased competition (in part due to this forum) you can find Ultra Refined HT's for less than $4.00 per FU.

Happyhair,

So glad that you didn't take offense to my comments as I am sincere in what I had to say. It does sound like you have had a plan and that is a good thing. I do understand your reasoning and in your particular case I think that it will work out fine, but for others reading this post I want to state that I would not consider this approach. Here is why:

1. You have a limited number of donor hairs and want to make sure that they are not wasted.

2. You have a limited number of donor hairs and want to make sure that "cheaper" surgeon doesn't put them in spots that will make it more challenging for elite surgeon to correct. Moreover, if there was more attention to frontal area first, less grafts could be used to give illusion of coverage and density.

3. You might not get lucky

4. Elite surgeon will have overall plan that is much more benefiicial.

5. You might not be in same financial position in future to see different surgeon. Then what?

As I stated Happyhair, by looking at your pics I think that things will work out OK considering you have a plan to get another HT in future. Hope it all works out for you.

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Originally posted by John_in_NC:
Originally posted by Happyhair:

My first hair anything and was by HTC in Tulsa Dr. Frasyer. Only time will tell all and I hope to updat you monthly or so.

I hate to say this but it seems that you have been scammed. Let's hope that the damage isn't great and can be fixed by a real doctor. That doc has a chart comparing his prices to $8 a graft that most supposedly charge. Huh? Being a liar is a big no no.

Plus, judging by the pics on his site, the results look horrible, worst than Bosley's. 1500 grafts on a norwood 4? SteveHamiltonAfter1500.jpg

http://www.fellermedical.com/Fees_Financing.htm you can have 1500 grafts for $6,000 or 4000+ grafts for $13000 at Dr Feller with very predictable results. H & W also drop the price to $2.50 after a few thousand grafts.

I am not sure you are just plugging your doc tor there. You can ot tell if someone has wasted money or scammed after the 1st day of surgery. If your plugging your own doc please do not do so. I am here to show me experience and not here trash talk, Thank you!

Ok John thanks for your simple minded comments. Time will truely tell what will happen. And if you read what I had first said, then u will relize that I intend on this being the first one to get some filler hair and the rest will be done to get the desired looks from other Doctors if really needed, but i do not thinkg this doctor and clinci is a bad choice at all. And just for your amazment they are not the cheapest out there, ther is a Doc in CA offering 2 per graft.

Please keep your comments to yourself if u have nothing nice to say. THANK YOU TO ALL OTHERS WHO HAD SIMPLE "BEST WISHES".

Hello Happyhair---- First, Welcome and Happy Healing to you.

Just so you understand exactly what John was trying to tell you is this--- Your current HT was performed by a Dr. who is not highly regarded by any person with knowledge of the HT industry, and this is at any price.

His was not an attempt to plug his Doc, and, just as some other members have pointed out, you have received the equivalent of mini-grafts circa 1995-99.

Let me explain what this means to you.

1. excessive tissue surrounding each follicular unit/bundle.

2. Overly-large incisions

3. Angulation and Orientation issues (the grafts are bundled together so that it becomes a guess as to what angle they will grow, they tend to stick straight up)

4. Potential for pitting or cobblestoning as the excess tissue surrounding the grafts dies and causes the graft to shift or die-off.

(Due to the excess tissue, you can also get "graft rejection" where the tissue dies and the graft is rejected and does not grow)

5. High transection rate during donor removal (If they used a multi blade, or used a single blade to cut "slivers" of tissue until they got enough grafts.

6. Wide or ridged scar.

7. Complications for future surgery. Due to the large incisions, some patients experience growth issues due to the scar tissue in the areas immediately surrounding the large grafts. This makes it difficult for a Doc using ultra-refined 1's and 2's to project a successful growth rate.

My sole intention for this "diatribe" is simple: DON'T GO BACK.

In addition, don't try to convice us you know exactly what you are doing..... you don't. Otherwise you would not have allowed Butcher Betty and Frayser to touch your head.

Before you offer any rebuttal, I spent two weeks on the phone trying to pin this greasy clinic down and have them explain the technology and methodology they employ.

They can't and won't speak with informed patients.

Anyway, I am lad that you found us and hopefully your "plan" works out for you.

We will be here to support you and offer any advice we can.

Take Care,

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Thanks Happyhair---- Just make sure you take it easy and watch your head.

Keep your chin up and make sure you wash your incision each day.

Did you get some copper peptide spray (Graftcyte Spray) to spray on your recipient area?

If not, I would suggest getting some.

Anyway, let us know if you have any questions and please keep us updated with your progress.

Take Care Buddy,

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Happyhair,

We all wish you well and do not work push Doctors unless we have had personal great results or the member puts a disclaimer on their signature. We are just offering our opinions and the truth about the transplant industry.

John in NC was directing his anger towards a shady clinic, not towards you as he explained.

B Spot is offering his "tough love" so please listen to the wise ones who have been down this road.

If the website photos are thier best work, I do hope you become thier greatest work.

Your donor closure looks healthy, keep it clean to prevent infection and follow your post op instructions.

Good luck my friend,

NoBuzz

Happyhair,

There is nothing I can really add to what was said above except maybe some encouragement. As you said "I plan on picking a better doctor next time". It sounds like you've learned a lesson from your HT and that is good. I would not call this surgery a waste of money, however, assuming that the doctor did a good job on the donor area scar. Why do I say it wasn't a waste of money? Because 1500 grafts is1500 grafts. If your donor allows, which it should, you can always pick a more reputable doctor later and get a 3000+ hair transplant to fill in around the mini/micro-grafts leaving you with a more natural head of hair with additional density.

What should you expect from this HT: Expect a thinner look...don't expect a lot of density. But like I said...as long as you plan well, and have another HT in the future, you should be in decent shape.

Bill

HH-

I second Bill's comments. Though the work wasn't as good as it could have been, you'll have 1500 grafts of coverage as a solid base to build on. I hope they all sprout for you and provide some decent coverage. Since you were planning on going again anyway, you can spend some time trying to find a place to finish the job for you. I had a similar experience with HT #1 and it turned out fine.

Hang in there and keep us posted on your results!!

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Oh sorry I was replying to a comment made by B Spot he asked if I had any Copper Petide spray. And I thnak all of you for your coments and the well wishes! Basically what shampoos, etc.. can i use on my head to ensure best results??

Another note: I had one clinic i talked to try and tell me to spend 400.00 for a laser combo and if you watch MSNBC News they did a 1 tear long test with 5 or 6 patients, using the comb, propecia, rogain, other off the wall products online and hair transplant. And did monthly updates, well the only two things that showed any results was the HT and the propecia. I think if u go to msn search u can still find this report under there news section.

Happyhair,

Depending on who you talk to, some might recommend copper peptide spray, others may not. I personally have never tried it, but Dr. Hasson recommended NOT to use it. It may have some benefit, however, different doctor's have different philosophies about healing. Some advocate what's called a "dry healing" like Dr. Hasson while others recommend a "wet healing".

Regarding shampoo, there is none out there that will regrow hair. Use whatever shampoo you'd like as you are healing...however, if you want to try Nizoral shampoo, some people believe it removes surface DHT from the scalp. I wouldn't use it until at LEAST 3 months post op nor would I use it more than twice a week. it can dry out the scalp.

Though the laser has now been FDA approved, I have seen no evidence in my time that it does anything to regrow hair...though I have seen some evidence posted by a few doctors that it can help assist with healing from an HT.

Bill

Bill, So basically what should I do, just leave it normal and let it dry out and grow with no help?

And yes I seen where some Doc do claim that the laser works, but if you read that 1 year study from msn nbc news, it is pretty much usless.

I went with dry healing the first time, the second Ht I went with "almost dry" healing, I would immerse my head in the bath tub, 10 minutes lukewarm water once a day, lying on my back in the filled tub, my head tilted back. I think it sped up the healing, at the same time I got Ultra Refined techniques which did not happen the first time.

The laser comb is an expensive gimmick, some members bought it and reported it made their hair look and feel healthier but no regrowth.

The shampoos are not really worth the money IMO but they are not that expensive like the laser comb, some members like the way it makes their scalp feel but no evidence of regrowth.

Laser treatments, a member posted this very cool piece, I'll let you be the judge:

BBC Watchdog Laser Therapy Report

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwWp5mlGtZU

The only proven methods as you said are HT, Finasteride/Dutasteride and Minoxidil.

Some Docs on our site like the laser treatments (not the comb), my feeling is they make your hair healthy and strong but that's about it.

Hk, Yeah that just shows another company trying to make something out of nothing, maybe we all should come up with a product that does nothing and make millions too icon_wink.gif haha Good advice on the hair soaking in the tub, I think i will do this too. Just seems strage to let it complete stay dry cause your body will natural force out somthing that was not there before, like if you get a thorn in your hand and leave it, the body will eventually push it out.

happyhair,

Well, dry healing isn't the BEST way to describe it, because you still should spend a good amount of time in the shower icon_wink.gif. The way I did it was this:

Day 1 and 2 - don't let showerhead hit the grafts, instead gently pour cup of shampoo/water combination over your head to wet the graphs"

Day 3 and 4 - If you have a gentle showerhead, allow the water to spray your head and very gently run your finger tips over the grafts (don't do any massaging yet)

Day 5 - resume normal washing - but still be gentle. Start slowly and gently massaging your recipient area with your finger tips in a circular motion (DO NOT USE YOUR NAILS)

Day 6-10 - I showered twice a day and each time I began to wash, I felt more and more comfortable to apply more pressure to the recipient area massaging my scalp in a circular motion. Additionally, when I got out of the shower I would inspect for lose scabs in the mirror and while my hair is wet, gently massage the scab in a circular motion until it dislodged and was on my fingertip. Sometimes there was a hair in the scab and sometimes there wasn't. As long as there is no blood, this is normal.

After day 10 - all scabs should be gone and resume completely normal routines

This is the routine I used after my third surgery, and if you look at my pictures from my third surgery, it worked well for me. By day 9, no more scabs were evident. I'd say I've now become pretty darn good at this process since it was my third time. Really, my first time I was too cautious, and the second time, I was a little better, but still not comfortable with it. By the third time, I felt pretty confident I knew what I was doing icon_wink.gif.

Other than showering though, the only other thing I did AFTER day 10 was started applying some Aloe to the recipient area to minimize itching and redness.

I hope that helps.

Bill