Guys I need Some Advice...

Hello Gentlemen!

I am avoiding the women's forum I frequently post on cause I am being "bashed" for trying to be helpful, but i guess there is always a bitter one in the bunch! Anyway....

I have been thinking about ordering Propecia w/out a script. I know I am not supposed to take it, cause of reproductive complications, but I figure I'm not gonna ever get married anyway now that I am losing my hair.

I know for a fact that Doctors do prescribe Advodart and Propecia to women, however I dont believe they like too due to liabilities.

My hair is getting thinner and thinner, and I cant stand it anymore. I am currently taking Spiro (oral), but that is supposed to be the weakest anti-androgen(reduces testosterone).

I figure if I pair it with a DHT inhibitor, then maybe I can at least save the rest of my hair.

Would you gentlmen mind telling me a bit about this drug? Also your thoughts on women who take typical "male" hair loss drugs.

Thanks Guys

Jenn

Hello Gentlemen!

I am avoiding the women's forum I frequently post on cause I am being "bashed" for trying to be helpful, but i guess there is always a bitter one in the bunch! Anyway....

I have been thinking about ordering Propecia w/out a script. I know I am not supposed to take it, cause of reproductive complications, but I figure I'm not gonna ever get married anyway now that I am losing my hair.

I know for a fact that Doctors do prescribe Advodart and Propecia to women, however I dont believe they like too due to liabilities.

My hair is getting thinner and thinner, and I cant stand it anymore. I am currently taking Spiro (oral), but that is supposed to be the weakest anti-androgen(reduces testosterone).

I figure if I pair it with a DHT inhibitor, then maybe I can at least save the rest of my hair.

Would you gentlmen mind telling me a bit about this drug? Also your thoughts on women who take typical "male" hair loss drugs.

Thanks Guys

Jenn

Jenn-24,

I've read almost all of your posts, and this is the first one that I feel I absolutely have to respond to. Don't order Propecia. You mostly come across as an outgoing person with a positive outlook, but every now and then you stun me with some of things you say. Assuming that you're 24, you have a long life ahead of you, and you will most likely get married. You will probably want to have kids, and what a risk you would be putting your children in because you took a medication that you were specifically told not to take. I hope you don't order Propecia, and I hope some form of medication comes along that makes thinning something of the past. In the meantime, there are tremendous pictures and I'm assuming successful HT's that have been done on women. I would let your current HT grow out for a year, and then, based on all your knowledge you've gained through research, you'll pick a top doc and get an outstanding HT.

Good luck.

Manko

Yeah, I agree with the above post. You certainly should NOT experiment with medications outside the supervision of an MD. Sometimes medications can even have an oppsite or "rebound" effect if the dosage is too high, too low, or given in the wrong circumstances (which likely applies here, since Propecia is mostly used in men). In addition, experimenting with any medications can be dangerous! I am simpathetic to the fact that female hair loss is even more traumatic than MPB, is more mysterious and is harder to treat. Your frustration is understandible, but PLEASE DO NOT try such desparate measures on your own!

tryin2moveahead

Jen from what i understand, women lose hair due to different reasons from men. AS you know the main cause for baldness in men seems to be DHT combined with a genetic predisposition to MPB. Propecia of course reduces this but as it is unlikely that this is the cause of your hairloss I dont think it would be of great benefit to you. Also despite what some posters say propecia doesn't always work for men nevermind women. I have been on it over a year and it has done absolutely nothing. It only blocks one type 5 alpha-base reductase which causes hairloss; it is the other type which is more important in male hairloss and propecia does nothing to reduce this. Also there have been claims made that propecia reduces DHT by over 80% and so on. This is false it reduces one type of the type 5 reductase by around 55%. Howeverit only reduces scalp DHT by around 33%. Thus the figure for propecia effectiveness is a lot lower than many people think. My main point here is that it is not even very effective for many men, although people have also had positive results on it, and it is hard to see how it would be effective for women. You must weigh up the pros and cons and it seems that the negative factors outweigh the positive ones. Has your doctor given you any idea as to why you are losing hair?

Keep in mind that many women who lose hair go on to recover most of it and by doing something like taking propecia you could do harm to yourself which you would later regret if you got your hair back, especially as propecia is unlikely to do much good. I dont mean to dishearten you but I feel i had to say this. Too much importance is placed on propecia but it is in no way a miracle drug or cure. I hope things do eventually work out for you and that you make an informed choice concerning this drug.

I can only echo what the other men here are saying. Please don't do this. I understand what it feels like to lose your hair at such a young age, and I can at least intellectually understand how much harder it must be for a woman. But...and I hate to say this because I know it's going to come across as condescending...you're so young; you're only just starting to become the person you're going to be for the rest of your life. Your outlook and perspective will change dramatically over the next several years. Besides, if you want to be married so badly, I'm sure there are dozens of men here that would be happy to oblige, as long as you don't mind being with a baldy (just kidding!) But seriously, I hope you will decide against this course of action.

On a superficial note - I'd much rather date a woman with hair problem, than with weight problem.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic''. Arthur C. Clarke

Jenn-

I think you want to at a very minimum tell your Doc honestly what your plans are, at a minimum he/she will be in the know ?? for liablity purposes you can tell them you will get the drug elsewhere - lets face it anyone can get Propecia on-line these days, but do keep in touch with an MD or your own family doc, for your own well-being.

This is far better than experimenting with no-one in the know..? Hormonal drugs should be monitored IMO.

NW

Jenn,

I would also say that you should do so only under the care of a doctor. You don't want to make any decisions that could affect the rest of your life. You don't want to close the door on having children at this point in your life. I've told you this before, but your dreams of having a husband and children WILL COME TRUE. How do I know this? Because there is someone for everyone and it's just a matter of crossing paths. This person won't be superficial because you're not. As a matter of fact, I just saw a program on the Discovery Channel tonight about a guy that had a bad HT from years ago. He went to a hair salon and wound up marrying the hairdresser! She obviously knew about his plugs from day one and she said the main thing that loved about his look was his eyes.So ya see, you just gotta hang in there and tuff it out. Who knows what God has in store for you? Better days are ahead and all of this will only help you to be a stronger and better person because of it.

I agree with the folks who said that if you are going to take Propecia, do it under a doctor's supervision, not as a self-medicating move. You need to have someone to discuss the various issues with, who is an expert.

I even think that GUYS should not self-medicate with Propecia (at least not at first). It helps to have some supervision until you know you are reacting okay to the drug.

Be careful, and don't do anything reckless.

Jenn-24:

Sorry those people bashed you on the women's forum. Very uncool. Just know this -- people who consistently bash are only exposing their own insecurities or pettiness. In general, I find them good to laugh at because their "bashing" shows how truly pathetic human beings they are.

My opinion on all that.

About not getting married, c'mon Jenn, that's horse manure! There are plenty of men that would love to be loved by an intelligent, active woman with less than profuse and overflowing hair. You can still be a wonderful woman to a wonderful man with less than perfect hair. That's a matter of fact.

Please don't destroy your future happiness for what you see today. Don't risk it.

I'd hate to see a great spirit fade away due to a rash decision. What a shame that would be!

If you have to sell your personality now more because of how you feel about your hair, then go ahead and do just that. You want to be loved for those reasons, I'm sure. And you certainly deserve that.

I know it isn't an easy road. But imagine how hard the journey will be if you choose to take your options away now?

Please don't do that.

I'm trying to ask very, very nicely here. icon_smile.gif

vocor1

Knowledge is Power

If the worst question is the one never asked, then the worst answer is the one never shared.

You guys are the sweetest!!

If I get my promotion, I'll take you all out for drinks and a big steak dinner...OUTBACK OK?

Hey Jenn-24,

You must be crazy if you don't think you're going to get married...

In my opinion, any girl who offers to take guys out for Beer and Steak is the perfect catch!

keep this up and you will be fighting them off!