FU per sq cm

How many FU per sq. cm. can a top surgeon such as HW, Shapio, Esptien etc implant in one session? I plan to have 2000 to 3000 grafts covered in the front starting from hairline area. I jst wonder if one session provides enough density since i still have some thin hair coverage in recipient area. Great site i hope someone could provide me direction on this. Any efforsts will be appreciated.

How many FU per sq. cm. can a top surgeon such as HW, Shapio, Esptien etc implant in one session? I plan to have 2000 to 3000 grafts covered in the front starting from hairline area. I jst wonder if one session provides enough density since i still have some thin hair coverage in recipient area. Great site i hope someone could provide me direction on this. Any efforsts will be appreciated.

Summer,

While your question is a good one I think you need to look at a few more issues. What a surgeon can place per cm2 is determined by scalp/hair contrast, hair shaft diameter, hair texture and even what your skin can handle physically when incisions are made. Not all skin tissue can handle dense packing the same. Your age also plays a big role in the final density as does the perceived eventual hair loss pattern.

I don't know about the other clinics but we've hit 90 per cm2 plus on a few rare occasions where this type of density was warranted but 50 to 70 is more common for us.

I know the raw numbers may be important to you but this is one of the biggest fallacies on the forums. While proper density is indeed important it is not as important as getting the right density for your case vs. what you may think you want. In researching a clinic you need to know that IF the higher densities are necessary then they can deliver.

Look at the various clinics that interest you and look at their respective galleries. Instead of focusing on one or two patients that may look like they had your loss pattern instead look at the overall body of evidence in the entire gallery. This will give you a better idea of how a clinic may address your case and if they'll do a good job. If you focus on just the numbers and results like that of a particular patient you may wind up being very disappointed.

So, we need to know a few things about you and your expectations. What is your age? Are you taking medications like Propecia/Proscar, Avodart (Dutasteride) or Rogaine (minoxidil)? What kind of hairline design are you hoping for? Are you looking for temple closure to resemble your teens or early twenties? Do you have a lot of hair loss in your family and if so how severe?

Welcome to the forums and hopefully we'll be able to help you on your way to a great result.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

summer,

Joe's response is an important one.

Here is some more to chew on....

Basically, it works like this...one has to take into consideration the following:

1. number of grafts/hairs available in the donor area (both in a single session and future sessions)

2. the area/extent of the hair loss

3. the patients individual goals (coverage verses density), etc.

Donor hair is finite and must be used wisely.

Those with more hair loss will have to sacrifice either coverage or density...one with extensive hair loss can't achieve both great density and full coverage. Though this does NOT mean one can't achieve an acceptable look. There are many examples of this.

But so you know, average density is about 80-100 FU/sqcm. In order to achieve an "illusion of density" one will need approximately half of that (between 40-50 FU/sq cm). However, an individual's hair characteristics will also play a significant roll on how many grafts per sqcm one would need to achieve a decent look.

More on "illusion of density" here:

Will I be able to obtain a full head of hair?

http://hair-restoration-info.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=569...161071123#6161071123

More information that might be helpful:

What are the various formulas for calculating numbers related to hair transplantation

http://hair-restoration-info.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/346...271083313#3271083313.

I hope this helps.

Bill

I think the issue about ultimate possible HT density is really over-discussed.

Basically, if you're any worse than a NW#2 and you're not at least 40 years old, then the issue is simply not relevant to you at all.

Your hair loss & finite donor hair WILL limit your density long before the surgeon gets anywhere near the limits of his abilities.

------------------------------------------------

That is unless you can add a significant number of BHT to boost the fu/sq cm like i have done. 2900 head fue and 800 bht. And i have a ton more BHT and beard hair to use, also in the mix with head hair.

jk1,

I wouldn't put too many cards on BHT at this point. There hasn't been any real consistency with BHT as of yet...most unfortunately, haven't had great results. I can really only think of one who did to date...of course, there are still a few cases I am following and too soon to tell.

Cheers,

Bill

Thanks guys for the feedback. I really appreciate your time dicussing this issue.

Viewing Joe and Fal. impressive results is really motivating which otherwise feel hopeless of regaining my hairs back. Anyway, I am 36 year-old, NW3 V-shape pattern hair loss and little thin in the crown area, not taking any medications and hope to achieve sufficient density in U-shape hairline design.

After researching I narrowed down to three top surgeons: HW, Shapio and Esptien. Now, can't make final decision for the following reasons: HW requires to shave recipient site which i would rather avoid if all possible for work reason, Shapio states on their site that they can only implant 20-25 FU per sq. cm. in single session and I havn't seem a great result performed by Esptein recenlty, not to disrespect his expertise, at least i dont know about. Any suggestions please jump in as i must have tranplant done this Summer.

There is a good reason for shaving the recipient area : results.

Let the techs see what they are doing, this means a clean working area. Than you will get the best results. I can get a mess when plating between exisiting hairs. Crusts will get stuck to your native hairs which might pull out the grafts during the first 24-48 hours.

Go for shave ...

Consultant-co owner Prohairclinic (FUE only) in Belgium, Dr. De Reys.

Body hair transplants are not new. Dr woods trialled them nearly 10 years ago. And yes they did grow and grew longer than the source length.

Since then many people have had BHT transplanted, solely or in combination with the ultimate source head hair.

Thew only thing not proven to date is the "coverage" of BHT and hence "assumed" lower yield. which will never be proven, as u cant get the same coverage.

BHT do grow but do not provide the same coverage as head hair and thats disregarding hair shaft diameter differences . Primailry due to their slower growth and also becuase they go into resting more than head hair. i.e The follicle has fallen out and not visible.

These reasons would mean that even if every hair did grow you could only except say at a guess that 60% are visible at once. To confirm this resting for example i had some BHT removed from my stomach and 100% of the graft were harvested in a certain area. Now i can still see this scars. What i was afraid of was that since 100% of the hairs were removed in this area that my BHT would look unnatural /patchy and bald in this area. Well surprisingly in between the healed donor holes im seeing new hairs emerging that were not visible for the last 2 months !! after my BHT procedure. So in summary not all BHT grow at the same time like head hair, it may be only 60% at the same time.

So their is no way BHT will give the same coverage as head hair. Saying that though if you are dense packing these BHT and then also using a small % of beard hair (that does not have this problem) you can significantly increase you donor availability. Note this hair will not grow to full length. But it will cover your scalp and make the below bald skin less visible. Basically like a natural "Toppik" or "Dermacth"

And when mixed with head hair at say under 40% it would be very hard to distinguish which is head hair and which is BHt at a short length.

By mixing in head hair with body hair depending on what body hair and how it looks, i think you could possibly double your total donor source. And hence significantly increase your grafts sq/cm