Looking for Opinion on Future Procedure

1st post on site even though I have visited it a few times. Being that I've never posted before, I'll give a little backgorund. I'm 34 yrs. old and I started visibly losing my hair around 21 (plesant experience), had 3 small HT's (250-350 mini/micros) at one of those "hair mills" between 1994-1997. Results were not great, but I had enough hair left that it was not noticeable to anyone even upon close inspection.

But what was becoming noticeable to me after the 3rd surgery was the fact that I was getting a wide scar that was hard to cover when I had my hair cut short. The hair clinic didn't seem to care and I knew there had to be something better out there even with my limited funds at the time.

I found Dr. Gallagher in Dec. of 1998 and had two 600-graft sessions with him over a 4 year period and recently a scar revsion (from my "hair mill" days) with about 250 singles along the hairline 10 months ago.

I feel the overall that the results from Gr. Gallagher have been great and look very natural. It it virtually undetectable, but not completely from a very close side angle.I don't fault Dr. Gallagher for this, he did a very good job to get me a natural look in my opinion.

Here's my question: I would like to have a final surgery 1 - 2 years from now just to refine the hairline area and a little arond the crown.

I'm married with kids and have more hair than many of my friends do that used to bust my balls in my early 20's, so I'm ok with a thinning naturally thinning look as I get older, key word being natural.

Due to multiple surgeries over the years, I don't have much donor area left for another incision. Still good coverage, just tight. Probably just a small one on the left side. I live in Philly and was considering Dr. Katz. Is he the best in this area from what you guys have heard and would anyone not recommend him for any reason? Again, I'm at the final stage of HT treatments as opposed to the beginning so the mega-session HT's are out of the question for me. Also, I didn't see a real benefit in a FUE procedure either, but then again I've never met anyone that had that type. Any opinions on that?

Thanks and I look forward to the feedback.

I know if I could do it all over with the HT technology and internet research tools (like this great site) that are available today, I would. Some of the results that can be achieved with the right doctor are simply amazing. Too bad these techniques weren't around 13 yrs. ago when I was a desperate guy in my young 20's and all I seemed to come across were "hair mills" eager to take my $$$.

1st post on site even though I have visited it a few times. Being that I've never posted before, I'll give a little backgorund. I'm 34 yrs. old and I started visibly losing my hair around 21 (plesant experience), had 3 small HT's (250-350 mini/micros) at one of those "hair mills" between 1994-1997. Results were not great, but I had enough hair left that it was not noticeable to anyone even upon close inspection.

But what was becoming noticeable to me after the 3rd surgery was the fact that I was getting a wide scar that was hard to cover when I had my hair cut short. The hair clinic didn't seem to care and I knew there had to be something better out there even with my limited funds at the time.

I found Dr. Gallagher in Dec. of 1998 and had two 600-graft sessions with him over a 4 year period and recently a scar revsion (from my "hair mill" days) with about 250 singles along the hairline 10 months ago.

I feel the overall that the results from Gr. Gallagher have been great and look very natural. It it virtually undetectable, but not completely from a very close side angle.I don't fault Dr. Gallagher for this, he did a very good job to get me a natural look in my opinion.

Here's my question: I would like to have a final surgery 1 - 2 years from now just to refine the hairline area and a little arond the crown.

I'm married with kids and have more hair than many of my friends do that used to bust my balls in my early 20's, so I'm ok with a thinning naturally thinning look as I get older, key word being natural.

Due to multiple surgeries over the years, I don't have much donor area left for another incision. Still good coverage, just tight. Probably just a small one on the left side. I live in Philly and was considering Dr. Katz. Is he the best in this area from what you guys have heard and would anyone not recommend him for any reason? Again, I'm at the final stage of HT treatments as opposed to the beginning so the mega-session HT's are out of the question for me. Also, I didn't see a real benefit in a FUE procedure either, but then again I've never met anyone that had that type. Any opinions on that?

Thanks and I look forward to the feedback.

I know if I could do it all over with the HT technology and internet research tools (like this great site) that are available today, I would. Some of the results that can be achieved with the right doctor are simply amazing. Too bad these techniques weren't around 13 yrs. ago when I was a desperate guy in my young 20's and all I seemed to come across were "hair mills" eager to take my $$$.

Welcome Shorty!!!!!

Thanks for sharing you story with us!

I will get right to the point here and save you some trouble.

I think most would say NO to Dr. Katz as a final solution to your hairline. Not a knock on him, but your only going to get 1 more shot at this, (your opinion)

I would recommend Dr. Shapiro for your particular case.

Of course, there are several Coalition Docs that would be able to help you out and do a GREAT job, but I think you should do a consult with them and see how you feel.

Do a search on hairlines and you will see what I mean.

Good Luck and feel free to ask as many questions as you need to!!!!

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Shorty,

I can relate to your story as I've had a few bad surgeries before I found my "savior" doc. My story is linked in my signature.

As far as the tight scalp goes there is something you can do about it. Scalp exercises. Here is the link to the video I made showing how these are done. In your situation you need all the laxity you can get and given enough time, as you said one to two years, this will make a difference for you.

The link is actually to our media center but just scroll down the menu on the right then click on "pre-op" then click on scalp exercises.

Hasson & Wong Media Gallery

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Hello ShortyB,

Welcome to the forums. As you can see by my links below, I had an HT by Dr. Katz. Dr. Katz does do quality work and is on the "recommended" list on the Hair Transplant Network. If you look at my results from the first surgery, that should give you a picture of what you might be able to expect. Personally, I was pleased with the work he did.

I'll now add the "however" as an addendum to this. Though Dr. Katz does quality work, it does seem to me after being around here for awhile that his techniques are somewhat outdated since he does not do highly refinded follicular unit transplantation. He also limits himself to doing 1600 graft sessions (this might have changed now but this was last I checked) which by todays standards are very small. 3000-4000 graft sessions seem to be the average today, but some clinics can produce a whole lot more depending on the patient AND can still yield very thin scars and excellent growth results! In my journey, that brought me to Dr. True for my second surgery. I feel he did a good job on my surgery also, however, he is also more conservative in my opinion...so for my final surgery that brought me to Dr. Hasson who has yielded excellent results and has been publicized all over many forums. Beacuse of Dr. Hasson's high yielding success and being more liberal has been able to extract Large numbers of grafts, I chose him for my final surgery. Though the results have yet to come...I feel strongly that I made the right decision!

It's up to you who you choose, but if I was going to start all over again, in all honesty and with no disrepect to my first 2 doctors, I would have went to Dr. Hasson from the beginning.

Bill

Bill,

Thanks for your feedback, especially considering you had your 1st surgery with Katz.

The work by Dr. Hasson looks like it's gonna turn out great. It seems obvious from some of his work that I've seen that he is part surgeon, part artist. Good pics from all your treatments - thanks for sharing them.

Just curious, how much did the Hasson session run you? Was Katz reasonable priced?

Shorty,

I think that the key is that every surgery should be looked upon as your last(because a butcher might limit ability for another surgery) and therefore you need to choose one of the best. I have done a lot of research and will be visiting Shapiro, and HW because of all the deserved hype about them. I too would love to have my next surgery close to home for several obvious reasons, but don't let it be a big part of your decision. Good luck

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Hi Shorty,

You're welcome for the feedback...I hope it was helpful.

As far as pricing for Hasson, unless something has changed since Oct 19th, he charges $4.50 per graft up to 2000 grafts and $2.50 per graft thereafter. So when you do the math, I was charged about $13000 for my surgery. Katz was also reasonably priced, however, I believe from what I heard, his prices MAY have gone up. You'd have to check with him though....I don't want to give faulty information.

I don't want to deter you from Dr. Katz...I think he is a fine surgeon...BUT, since I give unbiased opinions and since I am not paid by any doctor to represent them....I'll tell you that though Dr. Katz is a fine surgeon...Dr. Hasson is well...I hate to use the word better...but BETTER. He uses highly ultra refined follicular unit grafting, can dense pack with HIGH yielding results like results I haven't seen by a lot of doctors, can extract a large number of grafts in one session and can still create a small thin scar. It also pays...because depending on how many grafts you need, if you get it all done in one session with Dr. Hasson, you get discounted after 2000 grafts. Now ironically, I say this based more on other's experiences than mine. I cannot shout for joy about my results yet from Dr. Hasson because I am only 1 month post op. In fact, I'm in the worst part of it...the waiting part. With Dr. Katz, his max session is only about 1600 (again, unless something has changed...and maybe and HOPEFULLY it has) and if you need more, you'll need a second session and pay full price for the second surgery (unless he offers a special second patient discount).

Bill

Guest Cousin_It

Shorty..

I think you should seriously consider looking into Dr. Feller in the NY area. He is top of the line in technique and aesthetics, and a really great guy to deal with. He is totally honest and will let you know exactly what is possible in your situation. His office and equiptment is state of the art and so is his staff. As far as price he may possibly be the most affordable of the Coalition doctors. Another great selling point is that he is within driving distance from you. Seriously consider him in your evaluation of prospective doctors. If you need any more input about him let me know. Good Luck!