Hairline height???

Okay Fella's-

Get our your sliderules and humor me for a moment (B spot, I know you probably already have yours in hand, don't rub it in icon_biggrin.gif). I seem fixated on my hairline height lately.........wondering if it's too high. My hairline is just barely over 7cm above the eyebrows. What is the height of your hairline?

I realize this will vary for everyone depending on where your starting point was on the Norwood scale pre-HT. Just trying to come up with some kind of average to use for comparison.

Thanks,

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Okay Fella's-

Get our your sliderules and humor me for a moment (B spot, I know you probably already have yours in hand, don't rub it in icon_biggrin.gif). I seem fixated on my hairline height lately.........wondering if it's too high. My hairline is just barely over 7cm above the eyebrows. What is the height of your hairline?

I realize this will vary for everyone depending on where your starting point was on the Norwood scale pre-HT. Just trying to come up with some kind of average to use for comparison.

Thanks,

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Mine is about the same Bank..... and yeah.... it's pretty high.

However, after my #2 grows in, I guess I will be able to decide where to go with #3--- ALL in the crown, or spend 500-700 grafts lowering my hairline a bit.

Question: Do you think that your plan to target the crown perhaps took the focus from REALLY looking at how high your hairline is?

Anyway, I guess that for me, a hairline 6.5cm above my eybrows (at the tip of the hairline) would be a dream come true.

I am not sure I will get there, but hey, God---Moses--- Martin Luther King Jr--- then Dr. Shapiro icon_biggrin.gif, so we will see!!!!

Anyone else?

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Interesting stuff Bank. My hairline (don't scream when you read this) is 5.5 cm above my eyebrows. Which happens to be 1.5 cm above my original hairline. I'm talking about the tip of my widows peak.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

hey there, my hobbie is make up effects and when i do a hair pice on a person, with no hair line, i measear from the end of the nose to the eyebrows and that same measurement is where the hairline starts , look at pics in any magazine and measure , it is always 95 persent acurate,

hey there , my hobbie is make up effects and when i do a hairpiece on a person, i always measure from the end of the nose to they eye brow and that same measurment is where i start the hair line, if you look at any pic in magazines and measure you will see that most maybe 95 percent of the hair line to the brow, is the same measurment as to the eyebrow to the nostrils check it out ,,

According to Dr. Armani, the DaVinci formula is the following:

"The design of the hairline is based on the basic principles of the face as defined by Leonardo Da Vinci. The distance from the eyebrows to the hairline is half the distance from the eyebrows to the chin. By following this formula, the hairline is guaranteed to appear natural and attractive. "

Which makes sense becaue according to DaVinci, the face is devided up into thirds, Hairline to eyebrows, eyebrows to bottom of nose, bottom of nose to bottom of chin.

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

My Photo Album

Hairbank,

Interesting question. I never really measured, but this is what I found out.

From the middle (between the eyebrows and/or the bridge of my nose) to the hairline, it's about 6.5 to 7 inches. From the tip of my eyebrow up to the right or left it's about 5 to 5.5 inches. You know...sometimes I think my hairline is high, but then I compare it to my friend's hairline (which I think looks very natural) and his hairline is higher. Admittedly, a 20 year old with no hairloss might have a lower hairline...but I think 6.5 to 7 inches from right between the eyes to the hairline is pretty normal and looks natural.

Bill

Hopefully you meant cm's there Bill, not inches icon_wink.gif

I think 6.5 to 7 cm is a somewhat conservative hairline. That's a lot of forehead, but appropriate for many.

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

My Photo Album

Bill,

Obviously you meant cm? I hope anyway Frankenstein.

My hairline is approx. the same (6.5-7) and in my opinion is ideal and wouldn't want to go lower. Ofcourse it is always going to depend on your goals. If you have little donor you probably want to go higher so less FU are needed.

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Originally posted by the B spot:

Question: Do you think that your plan to target the crown perhaps took the focus from REALLY looking at how high your hairline is?

QUOTE]

Good question, B spot. Before I answer, I will say I never had an ultra low hairline before loss. Fortunately (or maybe unfortunately), an accident left me with a small scar right in the middle of my original hairline which is about 1 - 1 1/2 cm below where it is now. So, I likely had a native hairline of 5.5 - 6cm.

As for my decision to focus on the crown for HT #2, Yes, it likely took focus from how high my hairline was or, more importantly, face-framing. Funny................I was actually pretty pleased at the thickening I received from the minimal HT #1 grafts and thought it looked okay. Now, as HT #2 continues to thicken and improve, I've realized I probably have slightly better density in the rear midscalp/crown than the frontal third and really hadn't noticed my temple recision at all. Now............I will say that if I had to do it again, and thought in any way, shape or form that HT #2 would be my LAST HT, I would have chosen the same path. I absolutely HATED having a bald crown but the appearance of "decent" hair from the front.

I think more than anything I've noticed the lack of temple points and having more recision at the top of the temples (widow's peaks, I guess) draws more attention to possibly having a "oh, that guy is starting to have hair loss" kind of look. For that reason, I have contemplated going in the chair again for templework and frontal 1/3 & midscalp thickening. But alas, unless my MONEY TREE grows faster than it is, it will not come to pass anytime soon! icon_frown.gif

Anyone else care to chime in? Especially those with blogs for comparison.

Thanks,

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

I knew it!!!!!!!!

I knew you would be heading back for a tune-up!!!!!! (picture me slapping my knee for dramatic affect icon_biggrin.gif)

Anyway, I am wanting some additional work in the front, (temple points, little lower, etc...) but I still have a pretty bald crown to worry about, so we shall see.

I am going to say that you are looking for a solid session of about 1800-2500 grafts to A. lower the hairline and bulk up your transition zone so your density is distributed properly.

Of course, you could simply go for the home-run and pack the living shiite muslim out of your frontal zone.

(I confess, I have dreams about doing just that)

Much Love Brother,

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Good topic!

I did the measurement tonight and from my nose to my eyebrows, I'm 5.5 cm and from my eyebrows to my hairline, another 5.5 cm.

Kudos to the original Bosley doctor for actually not lowering my hairline.

I always felt my hairline was too high, but apparently it's not the tip of the hairline, it's the temples that make it appear to be 'thinning / receding'. From my temples to my eyebrows is about 6.5 cm.

B Spot - you mention temple points. Have you seen any photos of Dr. Shapiro's work in this area? I haven't personally so I wasn't too sure as I wouldn't mind some further refinement in that area also.

1662 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Spring 2006

1105 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Fall 2009

M&M Weblog

B spot- I think you know me better than I know myself! icon_biggrin.gif I have to admit, I would like to further refine the job but as I mentioned, that money tree needs to start sprouting if it's going to happen anytime soon............who knows. Any action for you yet from HT #2?

M&M - You make a good point...........temple rescission is a major factor how our appearance is likely perceived i.e. balding/non-balding.

Sheesh, my vanity is kicking in as I age. I lived with a pretty good sized bald spot from age 30 on, now that's covered and I want the hairline/temples I had at about age 25!! Oh well, I guess if it can be accomplished, why not?? icon_cool.gif

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

M&M-- Yeah, I spent quite a bit of time looking over Dr. Shapiro's hairline and temple work when I went in for my visit in '05.

I knew at some point I would be touching this area as well as the hairline, so it was very important.

Very impressive, IMO.

You know, I was surprised at the results he achived with a minimal amount of actual grafts.

I think the "less is more" approach to the temple region is desireable, simply because as I age, I do not want a thick, dense temple, just something that starts very soft and transitions into my existing hair.

In my case, a nice sofe temple point will most likely serve to pull my look "forward" without lowering the hairline.

It is something that you really have to think about, draw in and contemplate, because you want to get it right the first time.

Of course, these are my feelings, others want a forest for temple points, so I guess it varies.

Take Care,

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Originally posted by the B spot:

You know, I was surprised at the results he achived with a minimal amount of actual grafts.

I think the "less is more" approach to the temple region is desireable, simply because as I age, I do not want a thick, dense temple, just something that starts very soft and transitions into my existing hair.

J

That's an excellent point B Spot.

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

My Photo Album

When I discussed this w/ Dr. Lehr, he said the "mature" hairline is 8mm from the tip of the "furrough" (sp?) which is the muscle that creates the lines on our foreheads. A young man's hairline touches this furrough. So artists like Davinci where giving calculations of the facial proportions on a young junenile hairline. The placement of the hairline is not measured (according Dr(s) like Lehr and Rassman see link) from the eyebrows or chin, but from the musclular makeup of the forehead. Some guys have real shallow foreheads while others have larger foreheads naturally. Some guys have a slanted forehead while others have ones with no slope. Some guys have a rounder face, while others have oblong or shorter faces. It makes sense that a hairline should be designed to match the face the hairline is on.

Dr. Rassman explains in his blog:

http://www.baldingblog.com/2007/01/12/maturization-of-a...-mature-with-photos/

Intersting read. Also, I've read in many places that when photographic assessment is done for attractiveness, a "somewhat" mature hairline is often preferrable over a juvenile.

Just my two frog legs.

Toad

Originally a Norwood 3 -- Now?

1/4 proscar daily started 9/01/2005

1791 FUs - Dr. Lehr - Dec. 2006.

1300 FUs - Dr. Brad Limmer - Jan. 2009.

Very interesting topic. Since my hairline started receeding way back when, I have always felt like a bit of a spam head.

When I went for my procedure with H+W, Dr.Hasson and I agreed on a conservative hairline due to the amount of loss involved. I was expecting a high hairline and just a sprinkling in the crown. As it happened we pretty much covered all the crown, so any future procedure I would use most grafts in lowering my hairline.

I measured from my eyebrows to the tip of my hairline, its about 7 cm's.

Toad-

Very interesting indeed. Just goes to show you that HT's, especially "framing the face", aren't one size fits all! I suppose all the more reason you should heavily evaluate the Doc you use for hairline and temple work since it's freelance. I'd liken it to a painting...........when framing the face it's like the Doc is starting with a blank canvas whereas midscalp and crownwork the canvas is already 1/3 - 2/3 complete.

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

london__lad, I'm surprised to hear you say you might go for a future procedure? I figured after your mega-mega session you were done.

I just measured my hairline from the top of the eyebrow, in the middle above the nose. It's 7 cm. I would love to bring it down a bit, but I better wait a few years in case I need hair for my crown.

I seem to remember looking up something online that was talking about how facial symmetry is a big indicator of attractiveness. Plastic surgeons measure as follows:

Vertically, you should have equal measurements from the following:

The bottom of your chin to the bottom of your nose.

The bottom of your nose to the area directly in-between your eyebrows.

The area directly in-between your eyebrows to the base of your hairline.

So there should be 3 sections to your face, all equidistant from each other (ideally). No one really has this though, so don't get worried of you are a little off. I was. =)

-Steve

I don't work for a doctor.

Got 2700 fu from Ron Shapiro, 11-30-7