Please help me find good surgeons in DC area

Hussain

Hi All:

I'm looking for good surgeons in Washington DC area. After reading posts in this forum, it seems Bosley or MHR is not a good choice. If anybody have good experience with any local surgeon, please let me know. I will really appreciate the help.

Thanks in advance.

Hi All:

I'm looking for good surgeons in Washington DC area. After reading posts in this forum, it seems Bosley or MHR is not a good choice. If anybody have good experience with any local surgeon, please let me know. I will really appreciate the help.

Thanks in advance.

Hussain,

Welcome to this forum and hope you are finding it a helpful site.

One would think that Wash DC would have several great if not good HT doctors especially with the demographics it has. But that is clearly not the case.

There are two doctors that come to my mind that I would highly recommend however neither of them are in the immediate DC metropolitan area, but both are "drivable" The first is Dr. Ed Epstein and he is the only doctor recommended in Virginia. He has two clinics, one located in Richmond and the main clinic in Virginia Beach.

The other is Dr. James Vogel in Baltimore, MD and also be advised that he is a plastic surgeon and affiliated with John Hopkins Institute. So he does not do HTs full-time however since I live in the DC area myself, I have seen a fair amount of his work which looked pretty good and can say that I have never seen any bad work by him, never heard a patient complain about him either.

One more thing. There is an up and coming FUE surgeon based out of Gaithersburg, MD by the name of Dr. Christian Bisanga who does his cases over-seas. He is completing his resindency at John Hopkins so soon he will be doing both strip and FUE out of Maryland.

Both Dr.s Epstein and Vogel are recommended on this site as well.

Stay away from the "chains" including HRG in northern Virginia. Best wishes to you!

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Hussain,

PLEASE, do not make the mistake of picking a surgeon, just because of distance....

I am not sure what your situation is, what Norwood level you are....but you would not go the closest Heart surgeon, just because of location, Would you?...(exaggerating, but making a point)

HT is an ART, and you should see several doctors..and consult with several others (EVEN though, they are not within proximity)...some of the other BEST Doctors mentioned on this site, are much cheaper (My experience) that close doctors, so at the end....it more than offsets travel cost, and in many situations, added vacation...

Do your research....on this site...narrow down your list, get consulattions, compare prices and go with the doctor that you feel most at ease with.

P.S: II have Middle Eastern hair and chose a doctor (Dr. Jeffrey Epstein in Miami)who is very experienced with Latin and Middle Easterners....

Read my threads, look at other people's experiences and make your own judgement

Best of Luck

HT with Dr. Jeffrey Epstein

Dec. 17, 2004

3029 FU--NW5

Originally posted by Phillyhair:

Hussain,

PLEASE, do not make the mistake of picking a surgeon, just because of distance....

Great advice, Phillyhair.

Hussain,

While travel may be a consideration, it is very true that hair restoration surgery is nothing short of an art form. You may have to travel to find one that will give you the truly natural appearance that you desire. Anyone can transplant hair from one area of the scalp to another, however it takes a master of the art to skillfully place graft in a clean, dense-packed follicular unit transplant procedure that will resemble nature's own growth pattern.

To see how important it is to select a great physician for this surgery, check out "The Ultimate Transplant" and "Recent Advances". Unless a doctor is employing this caliper of hair transplantation technique, he/she is not performing state-of-the art hair transplantation.

To find physicians that are utilizing these cutting-edge techniques day in and day out, you can consult our "Find a Physician" page. If distance is a real factor and you are worried about travelling back and forth, you can always use the Virtual Consultation Form for any of the recommended Coalition physicians. This expedites the process of sending your detailed hair loss information directly to the physician(s) of your choice to recieve an accurate diagnosis of what can be done. Many patients find that they only need to travel to the clinic for the actual procedure!

I hope this helps. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

• 4 years later...

I would not recommend Dr. Jeffrey Epstein in Miami. Although he uses techniques that makes your hair transplant natural looking , he his a terrible artist and what I mean is that a surgeon needs to be an artist as well to spread you hair transplant evenly and naturally, he struggles with that. I had my first surgery with him and not only artistically speaking it was terrible I do think he used 1900 grafts given the results. the other big problem is he will leave a big scar behind in your donor area to a point I cannot shave my head to close....

I am currently looking for a good surgeon in the DC, VA. MD area or NY to fix the problem and may be fix my scar problem as well

Hussain,

I emphatically agree with others' advice to keep geography as far out of the equation as possible. Dr. Feller, for instance, who did both of my procedures, has a large clientele who fly in from the UK, as do I believe several other physicians in the States. A HT is a long-lasting decision...and worth budgeting in even a thousand more for travel.

That said, your being in the DC area (which I assume you are) puts you in a good position:

1) Dr. Lindsey has a practice in Tyson's Corner; he has shown some impressive results.

2) There are several excellent surgeons in NYC, where as I mentioned Dr. Feller works his artistry. I took a train to and from DC for my first procedure and got a reasonable hotel (total cost for this was roughly $500, including food); for the second, last summer, I was living in NY.

Good luck in your search...this site has a wealth of information, and many people who are more than happy to share ideas and pictures, as well as advice.

Benjamin