Hair Weave

I had about as hard of a time as possible getting through the week last week...If you read my post about Propecia side effects , it is pretty obvious how depressed I was/ still am...Thanks to some great advice and encouragement from Bill and a couple other bloggers, I am now doing much better. I give much thanks and in return I want to become an active part of this community. However, because I am new, I do not know the boundaries...Bill, please feel free to edit/delete this post if it is out of line...

That being said, I went to hair club recently, and was extremely impressed with their hair matrix. I do not work for hair club trust me (im a public accountant) so I am not in no means trying to solicit. I just want people to know that if Propecia isnt an option, minoxidil isnt working, and if people are fed up with the "miracle" grow scam and cannot afford transplants, there IS another option. Being 23 and having hair loss, there is no way I can afford a premier surgeon; however, I do not want to go to a second rate surgeon because they can really butcher your head...I thought I was out of options until I found hair club for men...Its NOT CHEAP...It is going to run you an average of 2800 / year, but it IS COMPLETELY undetectable...Most Hair club facilities have a private entrance and when they call they always say things like "Joanne from Tonys office"...They are sympathetic to the fact that no one wants people to know they have a hair weave....Also, you can swim, play sports , sleep and even screw (unlike Propecia if you are like me) with a hair weave. They never loosen or fall off....ALl one has to do is go in every 3 months and they take the old weave off , clean your scalp ,and put a new one on...They then style it so you can even change up your look and have the freedoms of actually having hair...I know the stigma of having a modernized toupee, but the weave is an excellent choice for some people....Bill, I apologize if I am out of line for recommending hair weaves, but after all the help I received from you, I wanted to give something back and I did not notice a hair weave discussion on this forum.

I had about as hard of a time as possible getting through the week last week...If you read my post about Propecia side effects , it is pretty obvious how depressed I was/ still am...Thanks to some great advice and encouragement from Bill and a couple other bloggers, I am now doing much better. I give much thanks and in return I want to become an active part of this community. However, because I am new, I do not know the boundaries...Bill, please feel free to edit/delete this post if it is out of line...

That being said, I went to hair club recently, and was extremely impressed with their hair matrix. I do not work for hair club trust me (im a public accountant) so I am not in no means trying to solicit. I just want people to know that if Propecia isnt an option, minoxidil isnt working, and if people are fed up with the "miracle" grow scam and cannot afford transplants, there IS another option. Being 23 and having hair loss, there is no way I can afford a premier surgeon; however, I do not want to go to a second rate surgeon because they can really butcher your head...I thought I was out of options until I found hair club for men...Its NOT CHEAP...It is going to run you an average of 2800 / year, but it IS COMPLETELY undetectable...Most Hair club facilities have a private entrance and when they call they always say things like "Joanne from Tonys office"...They are sympathetic to the fact that no one wants people to know they have a hair weave....Also, you can swim, play sports , sleep and even screw (unlike Propecia if you are like me) with a hair weave. They never loosen or fall off....ALl one has to do is go in every 3 months and they take the old weave off , clean your scalp ,and put a new one on...They then style it so you can even change up your look and have the freedoms of actually having hair...I know the stigma of having a modernized toupee, but the weave is an excellent choice for some people....Bill, I apologize if I am out of line for recommending hair weaves, but after all the help I received from you, I wanted to give something back and I did not notice a hair weave discussion on this forum.

I got a buddy that wears their wig and EVERYONE talks about him behind his back . Its more obvious then you think . He revealed to me how they had to weave the wig even further down on the side of his head because traction alopecia destroyed the hair above it. He recently went swimming in a cholinated pool and now the piece looks like a beavers ass. Its dry and frizzy. Be careful and look at the bigger picture.

23 years old,

You have nothing to apologize for. Hair pieces are certainly a viable solution for some if you don't mind the cost and regular maintenance. I personally didn't want to go that route because I know that I'd be constantly worrying whether or not my toupee looked natural, especially in heavy winds, while I was swimming, or inclement weather, etc.

But I guess time will tell whether or nto this is a solution you want to stick with. Keep us posted. And hey, we'd love to see pictures of your before/after with a hairpiece if you are willing icon_smile.gif

Best wishes,

Bill

Really? People can tell? I saw before and after pictures , and couldnt tell at all! But thats prob because they were never in high wind situations...I appreciate the information...Does anyone know if skill of weaver or quality of hair comes into play? If anyone could shed some light as to where to go, I would greatly appreciate it.

Hi 23,

I would have to agree that Hair Club for Men weaves are pretty noticible. Don't let marketing brochures fool you. If it's noticible on someone like John Travota who has mega buck then I'm sure it's going to be noticible on an average Joe. I personally would have buzzed my head before going the weave route.

I'd recommend finding a top reputable HT surgeon somewhere near you and at least go in for a consultation to give you a prognosis. Sorry to hear Propecia caused problems for you. Best of luck!

23 years old, my advice to you is:

Dont believe half of what you see, and even less of what you read. I dont always agree with peoples opinions, on this forum, or any other forum, and even if what is said is a consensus among posters, that does not necessarily make it true.

Remember, everyone has biases, and on a hair transplant forum, people are immediately going to attack anything that is different.

I've probably seen alot of HCFM "weaves" and never knew it, nor did I recognize it. I work with an older gentleman who wearsa toupee, it certainly looks good on him and is MUCH more noticable than existing hairsystems that are out there. The point is even those that ARE noticable dont always "look bad", as this looks quite good. And many are undetectable, but the maintenance would be too much for this kid.

I have no dog in this fight one way or the other, but didnt want you to lose all faith, cause you are not exactly preaching to the choir on this one.

Cheers icon_smile.gif

That being said, I went to hair club recently, and was extremely impressed with their hair matrix. I do not work for hair club trust me (im a public accountant) so I am not in no means trying to solicit. I just want people to know that if Propecia isnt an option, minoxidil isnt working, and if people are fed up with the "miracle" grow scam and cannot afford transplants, there IS another option. Being 23 and having hair loss, there is no way I can afford a premier surgeon; however, I do not want to go to a second rate surgeon because they can really butcher your head...I thought I was out of options until I found hair club for men...Its NOT CHEAP...It is going to run you an average of 2800 / year, but it IS COMPLETELY undetectable...Most Hair club facilities have a private entrance and when they call they always say things like "Joanne from Tonys office"...They are sympathetic to the fact that no one wants people to know they have a hair weave....Also, you can swim, play sports , sleep and even screw (unlike Propecia if you are like me) with a hair weave. They never loosen or fall off....ALl one has to do is go in every 3 months and they take the old weave off , clean your scalp ,and put a new one on...They then style it so you can even change up your look and have the freedoms of actually having hair...I know the stigma of having a modernized toupee, but the weave is an excellent choice for some people....Bill, I apologize if I am out of line for recommending hair weaves, but after all the help I received from you, I wanted to give something back and I did not notice a hair weave discussion on this forum

Sounds like a commercial to me! Hairclubs "hair matrix" is completley detectable. I can spot one a mile away. I tried it for 1 day and ripped it off myslef due to how rediculous it looked. Dont buy into the hype brotha!

I never wore a hair system however, I forget who said it, but a certain former hair system wearer used a great analogy.

Putting a hair piece on for the first time is like driving a new car out of the show room. It looks beautiful and perfect at first, but a few drives on the road will muddy it up and even after cleaning it, it will never quite look the same again.

This was his personal experience I know, but it's definitely something to consider.

Worst case scenario, try it out, see how you like it, and if you decide you don't like the cost of maintaing it and it doesn't always look right, you can always get rid of it and consider other options.

Best wishes,

Bill

I got to try on a "Hannah Montana" wig the other day courtesy of our 8 year old niece. Although it was the most hair I've had on my balding head in a long time, it definately wasn't an improvement for me!

Phil

• Moderators

I wore a hair system for 7 months, so I am writing this from experience.

They are not real. You'll be afraid to let anyone (hot dates especially!!) touch your hair because they will feel the system, so if they didn't know it was fake before they will know at that point. It's not easy and certainly not fun having to worry if a new girlfriend is going to find out your secret while you're getting intimate.

Most of the people who say they like their hair system say that because they feel they have 2 choices which are either be bald or have fake hair. They feel at least they can fool some people and look good once in a while as opposed to always looking bad because they are bald. If they had a choice they would much rather have their own hair, but that isn't a choice.

You could say why don't they just get a HT, but some people are afraid to death to even go to a dentist, so in their mind a HT is totally out of the question and not an option.

The ones who say a hair system sucks are the ones who would rather be bald than have something fake on their heads. I am one of these people. I think most hair system wearers end up on this side of the fence and get rid of the system after a little while of trying it out.

The ones you talk to who have worn one for a long time are of course the ones who would rather have something fake than be bald. If you talk to former hair system wearers you'll get the complete opposite response.

EDIT: I should also mention that it gets very expensive over time. You just keep paying every month for maintenance. I don't think it's worth it. On top of regular maintenance you will also need an entire new system every year or so. They usually don't tell you that up front.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• 2 weeks later...

The problem with systems other than the artificial look is they are a short term solution to a life long problem.. You have to keep replacing and servicing them and its gets quite expensive and time consuming.With Hair transplants, After you have your procedure(s) that's it unless you are taking propecia (which in all fairness is someting most will keep taking).

In my mind a HT when an option is a far better long term solution

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!