Propecia to Proscar

kg007

Any of you switched from Propecia to Proscar? I have been on propecia for 5 years, and now I am making a switch to proscar to save money. I am just curious if anybody had done same, and how was the experience. I understand that it has same ingredient, but I am still concerned before I make the switch since I am in middle of hair growing from my HT 5 months ago.

KG

Any of you switched from Propecia to Proscar? I have been on propecia for 5 years, and now I am making a switch to proscar to save money. I am just curious if anybody had done same, and how was the experience. I understand that it has same ingredient, but I am still concerned before I make the switch since I am in middle of hair growing from my HT 5 months ago.

KG

My doctor told me it was the same thing only propecia is 1 mg and proscar is 5 mg. It's hard to cut it into 5 [pcs so most cut it in to 4 pcs. You probably loose a miniscule amont cutting it up with a pill cutter anyway. I was just prescribed proscar for money reasons and it being the same active ingredient.Hope this helps.

I switched a few months ago,been on propecia for 9 years and started losing it effects on my crown. I saw Dr. Bernstein and he recommend i started talking proscar every other day, so i am increasing my dosage to 2.5 mg a day . So at this point i am just trying to slow further loss. I really beleive these drugs just slow down the loss,eventually you will lose what you have if it was programmed in your genes unless one day they come up with something better but at this point its the best we have .

Ok I have a few theories myself but I believe (is it hope?) that you do not always have to head up with your predetermined genetic balding pattern.

DHT is definately the cause of hairloss. People who have been unlucky enough to be castrated either due to cancer or accidents (from wars etc) do not go bald because there is no more source of DHT, in which case they ultimaley avoid their predetermined genetic bald ness pattern.

So basically lowering the production of DHT will help you keep your hair. Avodart is a more potent (as well as having more potent side effects) prevention of hairloss than Propecia. There are also topical treatments that can reduce scalp DHT like Azelaic Acid and Spironolactone (both of which can be found on www.minoxidil.com).

Though at the moment there are no cures available for hairloss only treatments which means when you stop treatment the hair that was saved because of the treatments will eventually be lost. Unless your lucky enough to only have a mild bald pattern (e.g. NW3) in which case a HT will be able to restore your hairline.

Still we gotta stay strong guys, there are promising future possibilities for hairloss sufferers in the form of Hair Multiplication/Hair Cloning and Gene Therapy. Until either of these advancements become a reality the best course of action is to try to save as much native hair as possible using the knowledge and treatments available now.

1344 grafts with Ron Shapiro - June 2006

I know what you mean guys. I have done it all. I have used minox for 2 years. It worked wonders for me, but I hated the daily applications. I knew I wasn't going to be committed to it for the rest of my life. So I stopped after 2 yrs, and it made me look lot worse than before started using it. I lost tons of new hair and made my bald spot wider. I am switching to Proscar just to save some money.

KG

Originally posted by kg007:

I know what you mean guys. I have done it all. I have used minox for 2 years. It worked wonders for me, but I hated the daily applications. I knew I wasn't going to be committed to it for the rest of my life. So I stopped after 2 yrs, and it made me look lot worse than before started using it. I lost tons of new hair and made my bald spot wider. I am switching to Proscar just to save some money.

KG

kg, quoting www.minoxidil.com after you have used minoxidil after 2-3 years you can drop down to 1 application per day to keep what you have. I would definately prefer a single night time application at the moment.

1344 grafts with Ron Shapiro - June 2006