switch from propecia to proscar

Edd

I recently switched from propecia to proscar due to the cost. I was on propecia for two months.

it appears to be that the only difference between both medications is that proscar is 5 mg, and propecia is 1 mg. Is there any other difference in their composition, at least a small one that I should know about? Please, let me know

I recently switched from propecia to proscar due to the cost. I was on propecia for two months.

it appears to be that the only difference between both medications is that proscar is 5 mg, and propecia is 1 mg. Is there any other difference in their composition, at least a small one that I should know about? Please, let me know

No difference to note. Cutting Proscar into 1/4s makes 1.25mg of Finasteride while Propecia has only 1mg. That is absolutely no big deal.

The only potential danger of "quartering Proscar" is that finasteride can be asborbed through the skin, so quartered Proscar tablets should be kept far away from expectant mothers (due to chance of birth defects). Propecia of course, is taken whole so that wouldn't be an issue.

Those are the only differences that I know about.

vocor1

Knowledge is Power

If the worst question is the one never asked, then the worst answer is the one never shared.

Taken from www.drugstore.com

Are Propecia and Proscar the same medicine? Can I split Proscar tablets?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although Propecia and Proscar both contain the same active ingredient called finasteride, they are very different medicines and should not be interchanged. Proscar is a 5-mg tablet used to treat benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), which is an enlargement of the prostate gland. Propecia is a 1-mg tablet used to treat male-pattern baldness.

Proscar tablets are apple-shaped. We do not recommend splitting a Proscar tablet to get the same dose as a Propecia tablet because it's nearly impossible to cut a tablet into five evenly-sized pieces without having it crumble. If the pieces aren't the same size, you won't know what dose you're taking.

Sources:

Proscar product information, Merck & Co., 1998.

Propecia product information, Merck & Co., 1997.

Drug Facts and Comparisons. Facts and Comparisons, 2000.

This answer prepared 1/17/01.

thecapitan:

That is an ABSOLUTE load of manure.

You know why Merck published that warning? Because Propecia costs 2-3 times what Proscar does per 1mg dose finasteride.

PUT SIMPLY: Cutting Proscar cuts into Mercks profit.

Yeah, I don't cut it into 5s, I cut it into 4s. So what? If 5mg Proscar is safe for human consumption, believe me, so is 1.25mg.

Please don't worry about this blurb on drugstore.com. It is Merck's best financial interest NOT to recommend cutting Proscar.

The main thing is that you average 1mg finasteride a day. Cutting Proscar achieves that.

Do yourself a favor and save some money and cut Proscar.

The ONLY time I'd recommend Propecia tablets over Proscar is when the pills are in proximity to a pregnant woman. Then, I'd say the risk of exposure to finasteride is not worth the savings. Piece of mind is worth something. Why risk chance of exposure to an unborn baby? If that isn't a concern, then I'd go with Proscar.

And I have.

vocor1

Knowledge is Power

If the worst question is the one never asked, then the worst answer is the one never shared.

Proscar switch

I too will be switching from Propecia to Proscar soon. Question: Where is the best place and price to buy on the internet? Also if quartered, won't the pill crumble to pieces?

azguy,

just make sure to use a sharp blade and not a dull one. i've been on proscar for about 3 weeks now. the tiny pills won't crumble on you. icon_wink.gif