donor scar too big or shock loss?

jwaves

Hi there,

I had a hair transplant with a very well respected surgeon 2 weeks and a half ago. I have had previous transplant with the same surgeon. In the past the scar had been bigger than what I was happy with (it may have stretched) and have conveyed this prior to the operation. Today I noticed a bit of bald patch when I felt the back of my head. So I took a photo of the donor area. ...this bold patch is big. Its larger than my thumb as seen in the pic. The donor area was stiched with disolving stitch. How do I cover this scar with my usual hair cut. Should I be worry...has some hair fallen out in the area surrounding and will grow back??? What should I do? Help.

Hi there,

I had a hair transplant with a very well respected surgeon 2 weeks and a half ago. I have had previous transplant with the same surgeon. In the past the scar had been bigger than what I was happy with (it may have stretched) and have conveyed this prior to the operation. Today I noticed a bit of bald patch when I felt the back of my head. So I took a photo of the donor area. ...this bold patch is big. Its larger than my thumb as seen in the pic. The donor area was stiched with disolving stitch. How do I cover this scar with my usual hair cut. Should I be worry...has some hair fallen out in the area surrounding and will grow back??? What should I do? Help.

As far as your scar goes I think it's a little early to tell what the end result will be. The rest is shock loss and, I would guess, will come back over time. I experienced shock loss around the scar with my first HT also and the majority of it came back. I'm a little more than 3 weeks post-op from my 2nd and haven't experienced any shock loss around the scar so I guess it varies.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

I don't think it looks bad. Everything should be fine, just give a little time. I would think the hair around the donar area should definately regrow. I'm 28 days post op. 1500 with Dr. Cooley and I have experienced almost no shock loss in donar or recipeint area. Take care

I want to know why your tissue removal followed such an irregular path? I do not think that this looks like the standard "crescent" around the back of the head employed by "top" docs. Unless there is a reason, I would wonder why yours does not follow that pattern?

BTW, who is your doc?

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Guest bro66

B spot, I was wondering the same thing about his scar. my scar is from ear to ear, 3 months past my HT and its just starting to look normal, much smoother and the hairs starting to grow back area the scar.

Thanks for all the reassurance, I saw my surgeon today and he said the hair loss was due to shock loss and should return in a few months...phew I hope! So, I'll post pics then. As for the irregular path; I've had a couple of transplant...so I think that may have to do with it? So all I can do is wait now...

• 2 weeks later...

good luck jwaves and hang in there, a lot of us had some shockloss and mine has always grown back, in six months you probably will have forgotten about it. the bitch is the six month wait!

wow up to 6 months...I will be bald again by then! Its been a month since my HT...is it safe to use Couvr???© in the donor area at this time. Will it stop the hair from growing back?

thanks for the reassurance though