Propecia prior to HT

I only require a HT for my hairline at this stage.

I dont want to wait to get my HT as my hairloss seems rapid, and id rather get one now.. and another in the future if the need arises.

What is the main reason you guys say take propecia for 6 months prior to a HT?

is it just to minimize shock loss?

Or is it because the shedding associated with propecia will give greater insight into your future MPB and allow better planning?

I only require a HT for my hairline at this stage.

I dont want to wait to get my HT as my hairloss seems rapid, and id rather get one now.. and another in the future if the need arises.

What is the main reason you guys say take propecia for 6 months prior to a HT?

is it just to minimize shock loss?

Or is it because the shedding associated with propecia will give greater insight into your future MPB and allow better planning?

guy,

It's to minimize the risk of shock loss but also to help prevent future hair loss. Has your hair loss stabilized or does it continue to receed?

Using Propecia is a helpful safeguard in order to minimize the potential need for subsequent hair transplant procedures - however, there is no guarantee either way.

Best wishes,

Bill

Bill's right on...........many times it's taken to try and help minimize shock loss. I think most take propecia to prevent further loss rather than count on it for much regrowth. Never heard of a propecia shed giving insight to future MPB/planning for loss.

How old are you? If you have rapid loss at a young age I'd highly advise against a HT.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Do you have to stop taking propecia for a period of time before having a ht? or just after having a ht for any reason? like a week or 2?

Also if you take propecia everyday and then you miss a day because you forget? do you feel different ? sick etc? or it doesnt have much impact?

There is no reason to stop propecia before or after having a HT; if you miss a day because you forget, just resume on the next day; you will not feel any differant, sick etc; in the big picture, missing a dose infrequently is not goin to have any impact.

guy,

Idealistically, Propecia should be taken one year prior to a transplant to help strengthen existing native hair. This is really only necessary if hairs are going to be transplanted between or around existing native hairs to help minimize the risk of permanent shock loss.

But in order to help keep existing natural hair all around, many hair restoration physicians recommend the use of Propecia long term.

Bill