Is there a way to accurately count the number of grafts?

I am sure I am not the first and only person to ask this question but when I look at some of patients pictures, I am shocked to see the poor density or coverage of transplanted hair compared to the number of grafts.

I don't want to name some of the few doctors on this site but when I look at their patients pictures, I really don't think that they really implemented the number of grafts as they pretend.

It would be great if there is a common practice and method to calculate the exact number of grafts before the hair transplant and provide this information to the patients. As you know we already pay a lot of money as patients to have a HT so we are also expecting to get an accurate number of grafts.

I think that will bring more transparency to the HT practice and also protect the patients from dishonest HT surgeons.

I am sure I am not the first and only person to ask this question but when I look at some of patients pictures, I am shocked to see the poor density or coverage of transplanted hair compared to the number of grafts.

I don't want to name some of the few doctors on this site but when I look at their patients pictures, I really don't think that they really implemented the number of grafts as they pretend.

It would be great if there is a common practice and method to calculate the exact number of grafts before the hair transplant and provide this information to the patients. As you know we already pay a lot of money as patients to have a HT so we are also expecting to get an accurate number of grafts.

I think that will bring more transparency to the HT practice and also protect the patients from dishonest HT surgeons.

I have given this some thought. I think even more vexing is how to determine the growth rate of transplanted hairs.

To answer your original question, you can take close up photography in one or more pics and count the grafts.

A small session of 2500 grafts spread over the entire scalp will no look like much.

Hair "style" and hair caliber can never be under-appreciated.

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

Bruce,

Unfortunately, unless you have someone count them under magnification, I'm not sure of another way. I think after looking at a number of hair transplant photos, you develop an eye for what appears like successful hair growth and what doesn't. Though I admit a more scientific approach for evaluating hair growth yield would be beneficial.

But I'd like to address your point about poor hair density or coverage compared to the number of grafts transplanted.

When I was a new hair transplant patient coming onto the scene, I expected a seemingly large number (like 2000) follicular unit grafts to go along way. That is until I realized that the human head has approximately 100,000 hairs, probably half of which makes up the entire top of the scalp (50,000 hairs). If you convert this to follicular units based on the average 2.2 hairs per follicular unit, approximately 22700 follicular units make up the bald area of a level 5A on the norwood scale of hair loss.

It is said that it takes approximately 50% of original hair density to create an adequate illusion of density. Therefore, approximately 11350 follicular units would be needed to cover a norwood 5a to accomplish any obvious signs of thinning hair (even though hair would still appear thinner in harsh lighting, much like when you first started losing your hair).

Even 5000 follicular unit grafts over such a large area will leave more to be desired in terms of density or coverage.

The bottom line? Only so much can be accomplished with such a finite donor hair supply. This is why realistic expectations are vital to a successful hair restoration experience.

Best wishes,

Bill