When to have staples removed

Just wanted to get some thoughts, since my doctor said to remove 1/2 in 10 days and 1/2 in 20 days, but it seems like most people on here have had them all removed within 10 to 14 days.

Any advantages or disadvantages?

Thanks!

Just wanted to get some thoughts, since my doctor said to remove 1/2 in 10 days and 1/2 in 20 days, but it seems like most people on here have had them all removed within 10 to 14 days.

Any advantages or disadvantages?

Thanks!

The only reason I see to leave your staples in that long is you had excessive tension on your closure.

I would recommend calling your Doc again, and asking if you can take them out 12-14 days post-op....

20 days is too long IMO.

After 15-16 days they are going to really hurt when you take them out, again, my opinion.

Take Care,

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

I agree with B spot and would recommend you get clarification on this from your Doc. My donor closed great and Doc Wong gave me the green light at 8 days............20 days and you'll have healed tons and it could be somewhat painful removing them.

I've never heard of 1/2 now, 1/2 later. I hope you'll reply with your Doc's reasoning.................who did your HT?

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Gossamer,

I agree with my brothers above. 10-12 days is typical but 20 days seems a bit long. Again, the only reason to keep the staples in longer is due to excessive tension.

But I'm not one to tell you to do something against what your doctor recommends. BUT...

Who was your doctor? Call him and clarify that's what he wants you to do and ask his reasoning. Keep us posted.

Bill

I recently had my staples pulled on day 9, & my doc stated that a lot of folks actually have the staples pulled sooner [7 days]. He also noted that the staples typically give you better & more uniform tension than sutures, & from what I remember, non-dissolving sutures are typically pulled after 7 days as well.

9 days of waiting for them to be removed were more than enough!

I haven't uncovered the rationale yet, but I did confirm the original instuctions with Dr. Bernstein's office and they reiterated that this is what he recommends for patients.

For what its worth, I do have a somewhat tighter scalp. While it may hurt a little more to remove, if I'm willing to wait, does anyone think that this may result in a thinner scar? More scarring?

Thanks!

I have sutures due out on day 7, tomorrow! icon_smile.gif

My doc told me the reason he likes to remove them sooner is to prevent the "track" pattern.

Staples may be different, but I think the longer they are left in the more potential there will be for scar tissue to grow around them & possibly leave marks. That is an un educated guess.

But really, speak to your doc about it.

Gossamer---- save 2 Vicodin for when you go to get your staples removed.

Take them about 30 min before and make sure you have someone drive you to the appt.

TRUST ME on this one--- I kept mine in a few days extra, and taking the medicing helped./

Take Care,

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

FWIW- I had my 100+ staples removed after two different procedures at 12 days and 13 days respectively. No big deal on removing them if you have done a good job is making sure all scabs have been washed off previously. Actually, after reading some comments here, I was prepared for massive pain but it was quite minimal in my opinion. Leave the pain killers in the bottle unless you have a real low tolerance to pain.

HT#1 4944FU 23May06-Hasson

HT#2 1960FU 16Jan07- Hasson

6904 Total FU, 13160 Hairs

2184-1's, 3184-2's, 1536-3's

It's always best to check with your doctor on when the staples should be removed, however, typical time to remove them is between 9-12 days.

Some definiately sting coming out...some come out easily.

Though I don't think you NEED pain killers to take them out, I recommend at the very least soaking your head for awhile in some water or taking a long shower right before icon_wink.gif. This will help them come out a little easier.

Bill

Well, I decided to follow my doctor's instructions and waited until Day 20 to remove the remaining staples. He feels it leaves a thinner scar with a closer seal, but it did sting a bit more this time and the "dots" appear to be a little bigger. There was a little blood this time, even though last time there was virtually none. Hopefully, these will heal quickly and the dotted railroad tracks will disappear just as well as the other ones. Months or years after your surgery, can any of you find "dot" scars from the staples?

No...........I can't find a one of mine. I'm VERY satisfied with my scar as it is VERY thin.......with tricho and hair growing through it, no worries!

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.