What to Ask?

List of Questions to ask at Consult.

I am flying to Minneapolis next week for my in person consult as I have already done my internet consult with Dr. Ron Shapiro. I am going to Vancouver (H&W) in April. I don't know if there is already a list posted here for questions an individual might want to ask, but if so here is another. Please feel free to add to it. I thought it might help people with consult jitters. This way the questions get answered.

-Do you perform ultra refined FU transplants?

-What type of closure do you use?

-What size blades do you use?

-How long have you been performing HT surgeries?

-How many techs do you employ?

-How long have they worked for you?

-Am I a candidate for a HT?

-What is the total number of FU that I have available in donor area?

-What is your estimate of donor density?

-Do I have good laxity?

-How many surgeries do you feel I need for my wants?

-Please draw where you would like to create hairline?

-Do I need temple work?

-What is best plan of attack for surgeries?

-What density do you think we can achieve in recipient area?

-Approx. how many FU do you plan to use in each zone?

-Approx. how many single hairs vs. doubles, triples, etc.

-Can I achieve the look I want with donor capabilities?

-Can I meet or talk to previous patients with similar attributes to me?

-What is the cost per FU? Fee structure?

-Can you aid me in financing?

-Can I get a reduced fee for cash or short notice surgery? Travel reimbursement?

-What is your policy for grafts that don't grow?

-How much time off work will I need?

-Can you get me script for propecia or minoxidol?

-Do you have a problem with me posting results on HTN? If results suck are you aware that B Spot will tear you a new one? icon_smile.gif

Ofcourse you don't want to bog down surgeon but also need to have your questions answered. I found the best thing at last consult was to just quickly go thru list and it doesn't take long at all. Hope this helps.

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

List of Questions to ask at Consult.

I am flying to Minneapolis next week for my in person consult as I have already done my internet consult with Dr. Ron Shapiro. I am going to Vancouver (H&W) in April. I don't know if there is already a list posted here for questions an individual might want to ask, but if so here is another. Please feel free to add to it. I thought it might help people with consult jitters. This way the questions get answered.

-Do you perform ultra refined FU transplants?

-What type of closure do you use?

-What size blades do you use?

-How long have you been performing HT surgeries?

-How many techs do you employ?

-How long have they worked for you?

-Am I a candidate for a HT?

-What is the total number of FU that I have available in donor area?

-What is your estimate of donor density?

-Do I have good laxity?

-How many surgeries do you feel I need for my wants?

-Please draw where you would like to create hairline?

-Do I need temple work?

-What is best plan of attack for surgeries?

-What density do you think we can achieve in recipient area?

-Approx. how many FU do you plan to use in each zone?

-Approx. how many single hairs vs. doubles, triples, etc.

-Can I achieve the look I want with donor capabilities?

-Can I meet or talk to previous patients with similar attributes to me?

-What is the cost per FU? Fee structure?

-Can you aid me in financing?

-Can I get a reduced fee for cash or short notice surgery? Travel reimbursement?

-What is your policy for grafts that don't grow?

-How much time off work will I need?

-Can you get me script for propecia or minoxidol?

-Do you have a problem with me posting results on HTN? If results suck are you aware that B Spot will tear you a new one? icon_smile.gif

Ofcourse you don't want to bog down surgeon but also need to have your questions answered. I found the best thing at last consult was to just quickly go thru list and it doesn't take long at all. Hope this helps.

NN

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

-Do you have a problem with me posting results on HTN? If results suck are you aware that B Spot will tear you a new one?

ROTFLMAO! And potentially rightfully so icon_wink.gif

Good list of questions, though I don't know if most doctors (unless they are familiar with this site) would know the definition of ultra-refined follicular unit grafting. I believe this is a coined term by Pat that defines the use of the latest technologies as defined on the coalition membership standards page.

Bill

Nice list. It's surprising how many Docs are NOT familiar with the wording URHT (utra refined hair transplant) some told me it was a marketing term, etc ... Just as long as we understand each other and agree on the techniques used. Yes, it would be nice to make it a recognized standard/benchmark.

I still think our forum is catching on more in the HT community on both the Dr and the patient sides, hopefully one day soon we will all be using the same "buzz words".

(Darn!!! I hate these double entendres) icon_biggrin.gif

Definitely make sure that you take some control of the consult as it is your time to ask the necessary questions. It does seem like there are several docs that are unfamiliar with the lingo.

NN

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

NN----VERY funny, my friend!!!!!!

I think that your list is quite good, (with the exception of that last line----- I still have 1 more to go with Dr. S, you know!!!!!)

I think it would be nice if we put together some sort of Word Doc that lists all of these questions.

I also think we should keep this posted on the HTN for everyone to access and print out, then take to a consult.

This can be filled out during the consult, and then the info can be shared with the entire community---- Perhaps it is time we add a Consult Experience portion?

Anyway, I think we have been remiss not have something like this for those who either do not know what to ask, or for those who do not want to ask for help.

On a personal note, my experience with Dr. Shapiro has been beyond my expectations. Aside from the tremendous work they do, they never forget a patient and Matt has always been willing to answer any question I have asked. I think sometimes AFTER care is overlooked when we talk about a particular Doc or clinic. I think that "personal" touch is what sets apart 5-6 clincs, (ie.. Jotronics, Spex, Matt Zupan, I know there are more, but you get what I am saying...) where you can simply call them up to ask them about whatever is on your mind.

Anyway, your going to have a GREAT time NN, and your going to have a GREAT result.

Some may ask, How can I be certain?

Duh.... I called Miss Cleo, of course!!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Much Love.......

Da' Bears!!!!

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

• Administrators

NervousNelly,

Thanks for compiling and sharing your list of consult questions. I think all potential patients should have their own list of questions and concerns when they walk into a clinic.

I have posted your questions to our hair loss blog under the category "Selecting a Hair Restoration Clinic". I think they will serve as a helpful reference for others during their consults.

I agree that we should consider colaborating on creating a list of questions and concerns to ask during a consult and then add it to the Hair Transplant Network for easy and permanent reference.

I would appreciate others adding questions that they think should also be asked. Then I think I will take all these questions and edit them down to the "Top Ten Questions to Ask During a Consult."

Any other suggested content for the Hair Transplant Network is very welcome as are articles for our community .hair loss blog.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Pat

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.