Generic Propecia where is it? Patent ending

• 2 weeks later...

As I understand it, today is the day the patent on Propecia expires (June 19th, 2006). Found that date listed on a couple websites after doing a quick search.

Current Regimen:

Nizoral 1% (3x weekly)

EMU Oil (nightly application)

MSM (3,000mg daily)

Viviscal (2x daily)

Daily Multivitamin

this is the patent data about propecia:

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cder/ob/docs/pate..._No=001&table1=OB_Rx

it seems merck has a patent standing as late as nov 05, 2013. By the by, pharmacia and upjohn apparently approved for yet another minoxidil solution under NDF(new dosage form) with an exclusive patent expiring in 2009 and patent expiration in 2019. New dosage form is supposedly aerosol, foam whatever it means. all the best...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks waittosee for the link to the propecia patent and various expiration dates.

Do you or does anyone else know if that means there won't be an FDA approved generic version of propecia until 2013? I guess I don't understand if the 2013 patent was an extension preventing any propecia generics or whether it was some minor change and thus an FDA approved generic may be available soon given the June 2006 expiration of one patent. Not sure if anyone has some insights...

Thanks

Merck has authorized Indian pharmaceutical giant Dr. Reddy's to manufacture and distribute a Proscar generic. You can view details and links in an article I put up yesterday:

Online generic hair loss meds - is it worth the risk?

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

• 5 years later...

You have to think with the power of billions of dollars in profits, Merck can influence to keep that generic down. Pharm companies know how to drag it out with red tape to keep those giant profits flowing. In some cases they pay the leading generic manufacturers to keep production on short supply too.

I couldn't wait, a few years ago I got my doc to subscribe the generic for avodart, finasteride 5mg tabs. So I take 1/5 pill per day. Costs me 34.00 for a 5 month supply.

• 2 months later...
You have to think with the power of billions of dollars in profits, Merck can influence to keep that generic down. Pharm companies know how to drag it out with red tape to keep those giant profits flowing. In some cases they pay the leading generic manufacturers to keep production on short supply too.

I couldn't wait, a few years ago I got my doc to subscribe the generic for avodart, finasteride 5mg tabs. So I take 1/5 pill per day. Costs me 34.00 for a 5 month supply.

How big are the pills? What method do you use to split them?

• 1 year later...