Guaranteed Density by Surgeons

When a surgeon guarantees for a patient, a certain density of X FU/cm2 after surgery , does this quote of X FU/cm2 include the count of the native hair on the scalp?

Shouldn't a quote of X Fu/cm2 only count the transplanted hair?

Thanks.

take care...

When a surgeon guarantees for a patient, a certain density of X FU/cm2 after surgery , does this quote of X FU/cm2 include the count of the native hair on the scalp?

Shouldn't a quote of X Fu/cm2 only count the transplanted hair?

Thanks.

take care...

Guarantee???

Who guarantees anything, particularly in medicine? If someone is guaranteeing results, they are in for trouble eventually. Even if those results always occur, that doesn't mean that a particular patient will agree that they occurred.

I hear from disgruntled patients coming in for second opinions that they were guaranteed such and such, and it wouldn't surprise me that some consultants may say that from time to time. I just can't imagine the doctor knowing of or allowing someone to guarantee his/her results.

We tell patients what we would expect to occur, and what our track record has been. But the only thing we GUARANTEE is that we will do our best job that we can for each individual patient.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Interesting comments from Dr. Lindsay. I agree. Guarantees in medicine, while designed to allay patient concerns, are usually sales strategies.

During a consultation, a doctor might explain that a patient needs, for example, 40-50 grafts per cm2 in order to satisfy expectations. During the surgery, though, the doctor might modify the strategy **within reason.** There may be an area of the scalp with pre-existing hair where dense-packing might be risky (i.e. because shock loss may occur, because hair loss may be accelerated, etc.). I say "within reason" because, while surgeons cannot foresee all variables, they should conduct a thorough consultation and adhere to their strategy as much as humanly possible.

Notice: I am an employee of Dr. Paul Rose who is recommended on this community. I am not a doctor. My opinions are not necessarily those of Dr. Rose. My advice is not medical advice.

Dr. Rose is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Right, guarantees in medicine are a sales strategy in my opinion. Discussing expected and usual results, along with a range of possible outcomes is ethical.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

• Moderators

My HT was done many years ago, but I was guaranteed the following:

1. The transplanted hair would be the same density as the hair system I was wearing.

2. I'd be able to part it through the center with no noticeable thinness showing in the part.

3. I would have more hair than I had when I was 18.

4. There would be no scars. Not just no noticeable scars, but no scars at all. Scars are not even mentioned in the form I signed.

5. Not only would I get all that hair on top, but they would double the amount of hair in the donor area since I was concerned about thinning sides and back.

I paid $150 per HT session for the guarantee of no scars and thicker donor area. The $150 was handwritten by them on their billing after each HT session as a separate charge, so they most certainly knew about it.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Surgeons that guarentee ANYTHING prior to seeing the patient, HL stage, and Donor availability are RED FLAGS to me. Be careful.

After consult, I can guarentee 1,000 grafts per sq/cm. but you might only have 1 small patch on your head!!!! Its not the density that a surgeon can place grafts-- they can get as dense as your donor allows given strategic thoughts of future hairloss-- its the natural style design with what amt of donor you have.

ALSO, with single procedure high denisity has to be careful do to transiction and discection risks not to mention graft survival blood circulation.

SMOOTHY

Dr. Shapiro

Propecia/Rogain xtra

MSM/Zinc/Saw Palmetto/B6

Nioxin Shampoo

Zrii 3 oz daily

mmhce:

run away from that surgeon!

BTW, when a doctor is recommending a certain density, he takes the natives hair into account. For instance, if your current density is 10 grafts per cm2 and you want to achieve 40 grafts per cm2, the doctor will implant 30 grafts per cm2 between the native hairs.

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

I do have one guarantee!!!.

I promise you and guarantee you will grow more hair. This I believe is a fair and safe guarantee. I have never had a surgery where I did not get hair growth. And if in the rarest of all chance a patient did not grow hair, I would repeat the procedure for free or refund him his money. That is my committment to quality.

As for guaranteeing fu/cm2, i do agree that is a bit excessive. For one, it has never been measured accurately for a full hair transplant and is very difficult to do.