Question for UNCJIM, MR T, others

MDM

You guys have been kind to post your HT experiences, including the number of FUs that were transplanted. Can you tell me how many actual "hairs" were transplanted, in your recent operations? Thanks!

You guys have been kind to post your HT experiences, including the number of FUs that were transplanted. Can you tell me how many actual "hairs" were transplanted, in your recent operations? Thanks!

MDM,

That's a question I never asked or thought of asking.

I had 3,176 grafts. If I recall the ballpark numbers, I think there were about 1,700 singles, 750 doubles and 750 with more than two hairs in each follicular unit. I'll use three hairs per graft in this last category, but it may have been slightly more on average. It is a minimal impact on the math either way.

1,700 x 1 = 1,700

750 x 2 = 1,500

750 x 3 = 2,250

Total = 5,450 hairs

Mr. T

Mr. T's web page

is that a pretty normal distribution you posted?...or do the technicians control this?...and would this be a normal distribution (2-1-1: singles, doubles, multi) for anyone's strip?...just curious.....

------------------------------

4600 grafts/ 12/10/2003/ Dr. Jerry Wong

Aren't you glad you know me, and have such easy access to my dementia???

Rugger,

That's my recollection on the counts.

Jotronic and PRguy might be able to comment on whether or not it is "normal". That would be a first for me! ;-)

I don't think the technicians have any control over the distribution. They dissect what is in the strip. Their greatest value, in my opinion, is maximizing the number of FUs from the strip... and that takes skill and training.

Mr. T

Mr. T's web page

Thanks T,

I have been wondering about how many actual hairs on average are transplanted, but also what the split is as far as 1s,2s,& 3s, and how it is determined. I appreciate you and Rugger answering, maybe some others will too. Thanks!

I'd love to answer your question, but both times the distribution list was posted, I was too tired and eager to get the procedure over with to pay attention.

If you'd like to know the answer in my case, you have my permission to call the clinic and ask for the details. It would be my pleasure.

UNC

"TEMPLES 'n CROWNS Forever!"

Uncjim's Journey

"Temples 'n Crowns Forever"

Uncjim's Hair Loss WebLog

It's likely that your numbers are part of your chart at the clinic.

When they dissect your donor strip, they keep a running count as they separate the various grafts. the one-hair grafts go in one dish, the 2-hair grafts go in another dish, etc.

These numbers get added up, and the tech tells your doc the totals, so he can create the right number of recipient sites.

Of course this is how it happens at an all-FU clinic. At a hair mill, there's a chance that the opposite happens: the doctor tells the techs 'I want 500 single hair grafts, 1000 2-hair grafts, and 500 3-hair grafts'. In other words, the techs do not cut the grafts according to nature, but according to what the patient paid and what the doctor tells the techs to do. But I digress...

It's likely that the graft tally is part of your records.

I got the breakdown by the blade size used to make the recipient slits: 1336 @ 0.8; 2182 @ 1 & 1.1; 504 @ 1.2 & 1.3.

I guess that would be like 1 hair, 2 hair and 3 and larger hair follicles.

Just waiting...

GAMBO

Thanks to all of you for your input. This is the very best forum for HT discussion and info around! BTW, all of your HT work looks great, just hope mine turns out nearly as well!

MDM, in case you are still interested I had I HT for a total of 2433 FU and the distribution was

273 x 1= 273 hairs

1221 x 2= 2442 hairs

574 X 3= 1722 hairs

365 x 4= 1460 hairs

For a total of 5897 hairs (average FU 2.4) so as you see in evary individual in different

Tioto,

I had my HT in December with Dr Shapiro with 2460 FUs and 6041 actual hairs placed. I don't remember the breakdown, but it sounds as if mine was somwhat similar to yours. It's very interesting to see actual hair counts. Mine was my first and I needed coveage, I assume one might see some difference on a second when fine tuning. Thanks!

MDM

we are in the same boat here!!, I had my HT on November 3rd last year so Tomorrow is going to be exactly 4 months; man I am very anxious but it seems that things are just starting to get better, hope that by the 5 months mark I can see more real results, so far so good; by the way I had my HT with Jeff Epstein out of Miami