It's official - Bald men are attractive!

Magoo

Happened upon the attached article. Thought it might cheer up a few people.

(I'm not great with links. If it doesn't work, I'll try again later)

M

Bald Men and the women who love them

[This message was edited by Magoo on October 22, 2003 at 03:23 PM.]

[This message was edited by Magoo on October 22, 2003 at 03:24 PM.]

Happened upon the attached article. Thought it might cheer up a few people.

(I'm not great with links. If it doesn't work, I'll try again later)

M

Bald Men and the women who love them

[This message was edited by Magoo on October 22, 2003 at 03:23 PM.]

[This message was edited by Magoo on October 22, 2003 at 03:24 PM.]

yeah! I've said it before and I'll say it again: Some men look great bald!

Right skin tone, right head shape, right facial features and you are golden.

OR . . . you can have bozo hair and/or the "pasty white boy" look.

Let's put it this way: People -- and in no uncertain terms -- will let you know if your hairloss looks like crap. It isn't a subtle point so most people don't miss it.

So let's see: the article says, "hair does not define you." No kidding.

It helps define you. How you dress. How you talk. How smart you are. How confident you are. Those things are all important.

And people ALWAYS judge you on your appearance. But they'll put it in perspective with your other attributes as well.

Ahh -- I'm too much of a cynic here. This was clearly a "feel good" article. But I hate when they try to say crap like, "Patrick Stewart is bald. And women love him!" Stewy has other things working for him too, INCLUDING the fact that he looks handsome with his hairloss and age.

It was an interesting article to read. Thanks for the post.

vocor1

Knowledge is Power

-- If the worst question is the one never asked, then the worst answer is the one never shared.

-- The truth only matters if you know about it.

If bald guys couldn't score, you'd think that the hair loss gene would have been bred out of the species.

Being bald can be a drag, but it's a piece of cake compared to having a bad hair transplant. At least hair loss looks natural. Nobody will gawk at you for having hair loss (well, nobody over the age of five) unless you are unlucky enough to be losing hair in high school, for example.

So for God's sake, if you are not totally convinced that your hair transplant will look 100% natural in all circumstances, do yourself a huge favor and don't go through with it.

Some guys prefer women with large breasts, and some women will get their breasts surgically enhanced. But you would be hard pressed to find a guy who preferred women who had a unnatural surgically-enhanced look. The same thing goes for hair. While it's nice to have hair, it is best to look completely natural.

In my opinion, the average hair transplant looks like an obvious hair transplant, so that's why I urge everyone to avoid the average doctors, and look for the small handful of doctors who can be considered the world's best

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> If bald guys couldn't score, you'd think that the hair loss gene would have been bred out of the species.

True, but lot's of people meet each other, get married and form families before the hair falls out.

Im sorry to break it to you guys but i was reading in the paper today and there was a study about attractiveness of bald men. They altered pics to give bald men a full head of hair and cive versa and in 98% of the cases, the women found the pics with hair much more attractive. Also in 98% of the cases the women found the bald men to look considerably older than they actually were.

I can agree more that for some guys it works, for ex. bruce willis and andre agassi look great with their bald head, but that is a very small percentile of men who can make baldness look great.

Positive note was that the women found bald persons less agressive, but i sure doesnt make up for the 98%.

Greetz.

Pictures of my hairloss can be found here:

http://www.geocities.com/belgiumdude2004/

I think everyone would agree that's it better to have hair than to be bald. However, just because most women find men more attractive with hair doesn't mean they find them unattractive without it.

The purpose of my original post was offer a bit of perspective and to remind those experiencing hair loss (particularly younger men who are a bit more freaked out) that your life doesn't come to and end just because you lose hair.

Transplants are an option, but only one that should be considered as a last resort. Hair restoration is not a course of action that people should feel they are necessarily obliged to pursue in all cases and any society that promotes that view is wrong.

The decision to seek out a perfect transplant is a personal one that deserves to be respected. Equally valid, however, is the decision to accept baldness and move on regardless. It's a course of action that should be respected and not derided. Articles like the one I posted the link to held to offer a balance, whether everyone agrees with its contents or not.

Magoo:

I knew that is what you meant by posting. I wanted to offer perspective. I appreciate the spirit of your post and the link.

Belgiumdude:

Haha, I don't doubt the study. Most men who look good bald look good with hair! The ones who look good bald are either at the right age for baldness, or they just have good facial features that aren't affected much my baldness.

It is true: women prefer hair. But of course, they'll accept hairloss for the type of guy who's other features they are attracted to.

And often (and this is why FIZZLEFEST's post is both funny and true) a woman can fall in love with a man when he has hair, and that love remains when the hair falls out. I think this really happens most of the time.

I mean, most men bald. Really, I'd say EVERY man balds to some degree. It is the timing of the baldness that is key. NW5 at 20 is a travesty. NW5 at 70 is the norm. NW6 at 25 is often pitied. NW6 at 65 is "distinguished".

Haha, I read a study saying that women find men with hairloss more distinguished, mature, and stable. Ahh, too bad I'd say that is what most women say they'd like in a man but not really what they are attracted to. Well, not in their 20s anyway.

I remember that Rogaine commercial where the son says "I'm in no rush to look like my dad". And the dad says "At least I had my hair when I needed it". Man, that last phrase used to make me so mad. Of course, I was mad because I knew it was true, and there wasn't a damned thing I could do about it.

Baldness is not the end of the world or your social life. At a young age, let me tell you it introduces you with some challenges that I really wouldn't wish on most people. But with HT and better drugs and BETTER EDUCATION, we can make people informed. And an informed mind is usually a confident one. You can only control what you understand and not what you don't.

And after all . . . knowledge is power!

vocor1

Knowledge is Power

-- If the worst question is the one never asked, then the worst answer is the one never shared.

i agree that some guys do like good with a bald head. But the examples given above are all famous wealthy personalities and i dont think they would have any problems getting women. With that said...I am was a norwood 3/4 at 20 years old and that was pretty detrimental to me. I have gotten a HT of 1000 grafs in the front and taking propecia for the crown. I am currently at 4 months post-op. And I must say that even if some men look good without hair, they would look better with it. And it certainly hinders one's confidence, especially having hair loss at an early age. In my opinion, a good HT is better than no HT and being bald because, believe or not, most people can't really tell from a good HT...a great HT of course is better!!!

My perspective may matter to a degree. I used to be considered "very attractive", I used to model, had no problems attracting attention.

Ten years later I'm going bald and look older. I have found that I dont register on the radar of most young girls but women my own age and older are attracted to me. If I had hair it would be easier to date younger. Also, I think hair is more important for guys who are less attractive because it helps hide their flaws. Same is true of women. True of 90% of the population.

What I have learned about hairloss is that other physical attributes are just as important in looking youthful. A trim waist and energetic look are as or more important than hair. Look at most 40 yo guuys who have a full head of hair. There are other tips that let you know they are older, most of which can be combated with a healthy lifestyle.

So given the choice between a youthful athletic body and hair, I'd choose the body.

The only thing that hairloss has done is end my days of clubbing. At 33 I dont miss it, but at 27 it was a hard pill to swallow.

SHARP:

That was a good post because you cut through the BS, and I think hit a lot of great points on this topic.

And some guys "just need hair". Think about someone like Brad Pitt at NW3. Think he'd be the same guy, with the same fame? Just a hypothetical situation.

Your great point is you gotta make the best out of the situation. Do what you can.

And I know it is cliche, but health is most important. Stay healthy and active is, in my humble opinion, an ESSENTIAL precursor to having any hair work done. You gotta do your part.

You get an HT because you think it'll matter. So you gotta do other things that will matter too first. And damn, all you get is better looking and feel better.

You gotta put in the work.

vocor1

Knowledge is Power