Bald crown or dense hairline?

Guys, I know there is only a limited number of grafts available in the donor area & the coverage possible on the scalp depends on how big the balding area is. So, keeping that in mind given a hypothetical situation where your a NW5ish or more & limited donor available what would you chose?

Would you go for lesser density & spread the grafts around the front, crown & vertex? Get a hairline which is similar to a NW3 recession to save on the grafts, maybe?

Would you get a higher density in the hairline, vertex & leave the crown bald? I guess the front view is the most important one & the one which is visible in the mirror, so as long as I am happy with what I see in the mirror it should be ok?

Guys, I know there is only a limited number of grafts available in the donor area & the coverage possible on the scalp depends on how big the balding area is. So, keeping that in mind given a hypothetical situation where your a NW5ish or more & limited donor available what would you chose?

Would you go for lesser density & spread the grafts around the front, crown & vertex? Get a hairline which is similar to a NW3 recession to save on the grafts, maybe?

Would you get a higher density in the hairline, vertex & leave the crown bald? I guess the front view is the most important one & the one which is visible in the mirror, so as long as I am happy with what I see in the mirror it should be ok?

Opinions, opinions, opinions!!! icon_wink.gif

Seriously, it's purely personal choice. I was a heavily diffused thinning NW 5 before any HT's. I've had 5000 grafts so far, and am probably going back soon for more, at least another 3000. So, in my case, donor hasn't been an issue and I'll still have some left.

How many grafts are you estimated to have? If you have 4000 or so, I'd go with 3000 in frontal 1/3 to mid-scalp, then a dusting of the crown with the rest. IMO, if you have dense hair in the front with a completely bald crown, it's doesn't look very natural.

My loss was from the crown forward, so, I was always obssessed with getting it covered.

I'll look forward to hearing other views on this!

Best of luck -

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

It isn't too common, but still a natural balding pattern nonetheless: some men maintain most of their hairline (NW2ish) but thin on top and bald in the crown. I have also noticed that some guys also retain a somewhat juvenile wall of the hairline and diffuse thin directly behind it. I agree though that at least a light dusting of the crown should be considered; dense hairline and entirely bald crown would present a stark contrast.

I think some dense packing in the hairline is always good to a degree, even if you attempt to maximize coverage over the entire scalp. Regardless of placement, I think hairlines need at least 40 grafts per cm/2 to look natural (probably more), especially if you have darker hair and lighter complexion.

-------

All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my My Hair Loss Website

If you search Dr. Lindsey's posts, he had a fine essay on the importance of building the hairline. Apparantly yours is a common question, as I always felt the crown rebuilding was most impportant. I guess it's personal, but he wrote that definately more bang for the buck by rebuilding the hairline.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

Thanks for the response guys! I just wanted to get an idea on what the general consensus is regarding choosing between the hairline & crown.

Since concealer's work really well on the crown it makes sense to have a dusting of the crown if your short on grafts.

I'm sort of in the same boat as you. I believe what I'm going to do when I go for my next procedure in June is have the grafts placed in the front 2/3 to thicken up the first procedure. I will not address the crown right now but my stylist has made a lace crown piece which is slightly larger than a silver dollar. That will cover the crown until the day I decide to maybe get a third procedure there. I wear a hairpiece now so this should be a piece of cake. My stylist says that he has several clients who wear a crown piece and they are very easy to blend as long as the hair around it has adequate density. He says he can even alter the density of the piece to match the hair around it if necessary as long as it isn't too thin. He says they are really undetectable.

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

Dr. Epstein August 4, 2008

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

364 three and four hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

Dr. Ron Shapiro November 18, 2009

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

Dr. Ron Shapiro July 1, 2011

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

TTDS,

who is this hair stylist of yours that makes lace hair pieces for the crown? sounds like a great stylist. personal question, does it stay on in all types of weather, swimming etc? would like to find out about this...

I've been going to this guy for years. He doesn't have a patent on it or anything. You can go to just about any hair replacement organization and get one. I'd stay away from places like Hair Club because they are really expensive and their product is no better. Google Farrell and Cool Piece and you'll see what I'm talking about. If you are in the Orlando area my guy would be glad to help you too. The name is New Beginnings and it is in Winter Park which is in the Orlando area.

It is made of lace and each hair sewn onto the lace. It is placed on the scalp with either a water based glue or double sticky sided tape. This will adhere it to the scalp very well. On the crown it will be even less detectable than in the front hairline area. It will look as if the hair is growing right out of your scalp even at a very close distance. I'm not ready for the crown piece just yet because the density from my first HT isn't thick enough yet to wear it. I do however wear a lace piece right now which covers the top of my head from front to crown and it actually looks pretty natural and stays on without a problem. I work out five days a week and have never had a problem with it. Weather has never been a problem either and I'm in Florida with very high summer humidity. You can swim with it although I don't too often.

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

Dr. Epstein August 4, 2008

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

364 three and four hair grafts