New member...post HT questions

I am new to the site as I just found it a few days prior to my HT (3-6-07). I was going through all kinds of emotions reading the posts and the warnings. I guess now that I have had the surgery, I have a few questions I would love to have answered if any of you can shed any light. I had 1750 FU done on the front sides only. After reading many warning signs from the posts....I was concerned that I did not choose a hack surgeon. I found him (Dr. McClellan) ironically at the Hair Club in Houston. HT is one of the solutions they offer and the only one they talked to me about. He seemed to be right in tune with all of the things you all suggest are good practices here on the forum....correct Post-Op care, shampoo routines, expectations and warnings, etc...

My main question is.... above and beyond these things listed above which I am comfortable with, what is the difference between a good surgeon and a bad one? WHat should I be worried about now? (doesn't do me much good after the fact but I would like to know)

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks...

I am new to the site as I just found it a few days prior to my HT (3-6-07). I was going through all kinds of emotions reading the posts and the warnings. I guess now that I have had the surgery, I have a few questions I would love to have answered if any of you can shed any light. I had 1750 FU done on the front sides only. After reading many warning signs from the posts....I was concerned that I did not choose a hack surgeon. I found him (Dr. McClellan) ironically at the Hair Club in Houston. HT is one of the solutions they offer and the only one they talked to me about. He seemed to be right in tune with all of the things you all suggest are good practices here on the forum....correct Post-Op care, shampoo routines, expectations and warnings, etc...

My main question is.... above and beyond these things listed above which I am comfortable with, what is the difference between a good surgeon and a bad one? WHat should I be worried about now? (doesn't do me much good after the fact but I would like to know)

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks...

ahback,

Welcome to the forums and congrats on your HT. Truthfully, I never heard of Dr. McClellan, but I haven't heard of all the doctors in the world either...perhaps Pat or B Spot who seem to be our doctor gurus can chime in on that.

Regarding the difference between a good and bad hair transplant doctor...some of it can be rather subjective...but I think if you read this page http://www.hairlosslearningcenter.org/hair-loss-content...ership-standards.asp you will understand what criteria the coalition (which defines IMO the best of the best physicians) looks for in a physician to become part of the "gold standard". I believe this defines what makes a quality physician pretty objectively.

If you have any immediately post op pictures, that might also help us determine whether or not you've received a quality hair transplant.

Hope this helps.

Bill

I agree with Bill and haven't heard of your Doc, that doesn't mean you won't get good results. I'd be very anxious to see before/after pics if you have them which may indicate your quality of work. Anything to share?

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Well the good news is you only had 1700 grafts.

That means you have not tapped your donor for future loss.

My suggestion to you: Regardless of how your surgery turns out, choose a Coalition Doc with a great reputation.

Dr. Limmer is close by as is Dr. Alexander and Dr. Keene in Arizona, In visiting one of these docs, you will receive care that is for your benefit only, both today and in the future.

On to Dr. McClellan--- Don't really know much about him--- right now--- but you have to understand that Docs that work for "chains" or "Hair Mills" MUST do 2 even 3 patients a day, to earn a good living.

So even if a Doc is highly skilled, I would say that your BEST interests will not be the highest concern.

So, that is why we see 700 graft sessions on NW3's, 1800 grafts on NW3-4's, etc-- because they can disect and implant these grafts in about 4-6 hours.

Not trying to scare you, most likely your going to be OK.

I am trying to scare you just enough to see a TRUE professional to help you manage your finite donor source effectively.

Due to the hit-or-miss results seen by chain work, I just think the risk is too great to chance.

Anyway, Happy Healing and Good Growth!!!!!!!

Please ask as many questions as you feel are necessary.

Take Care,

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Thanks for the replies gents. All good info. My biggest concern was the number of grafts that were HT on me seemed relatively low compared to the rest of the group on the forum. I hate the thought that I may have created a problem here but only time will tell. I am no more than a NW3 so hopefully the 1750 will cover nicely. I was in on a two patient day for the Dr. I will post some pics when I return from my bus trip on Fri.

ahback,

B Spot and hairbank have also given you good advice. Don't expect too much from 1750 grafts on a NW3, however it hopefully at the very least provide a foundation for you that you can build on. 3000 on the conservative side is what you'd need for decent coverage and density.

Bill

Ditto

the guys above are spot on !

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

• 3 months later...
Originally posted by ahback9:

Thanks for the replies gents. All good info. My biggest concern was the number of grafts that were HT on me seemed relatively low compared to the rest of the group on the forum. I hate the thought that I may have created a problem here but only time will tell. I am no more than a NW3 so hopefully the 1750 will cover nicely. I was in on a two patient day for the Dr. I will post some pics when I return from my bus trip on Fri.

Hey ahback9,

Just wondering the latest on the pics?I also went to Dr.McClellan just last week and would be very interested in seeing your latest pics if possible.I had 1973 FU's to the frontal and mid section.I am thinking that is so close to your amt done.My post op is going well and things are scabbing up now.My donor area is still tender but getting better each day.If you have time and if you dont mind sending me a P.M.or just respond,to let me know how things are going for you.It has been hard to find other members here who have been to Dr.Bob.So if you can give me any info it would be greatly appreciated,

Scooter

1st HT 1973 FUT's with Dr.Robert Mcclellan 6/28/2007

*unfortunately I have no info on hair count on my 1st surgery ..

2nd HT 3026 FUT's with Dr. Bernadino Arocha 1/9/2014

1's - 797

2's - 3700

3's - 246

5634 hairs

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/attachment.php?attachmentid=54945&d=1389315686

3026 FUTs 1 day HT#2 post op frontal picture

Hi Pushing 40.I will go ahead and copy this to ahback9,thanks for the reminder.

I am feeling fine,except I still cant lay my sutured area flat on my pillow without it hurting yet.The FU's have been growing each day,it seems all of them have been.They also feel strong and pointy.It feels nice to have something up there even if it is temporarily before the shedding begins.

1st HT 1973 FUT's with Dr.Robert Mcclellan 6/28/2007

*unfortunately I have no info on hair count on my 1st surgery ..

2nd HT 3026 FUT's with Dr. Bernadino Arocha 1/9/2014

1's - 797

2's - 3700

3's - 246

5634 hairs

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/attachment.php?attachmentid=54945&d=1389315686

3026 FUTs 1 day HT#2 post op frontal picture

Yeah, it might be a week or two before you're comfy laying on the donor area. For me it was at least 3 weeks before it didn't really hurt at all. Even then it still felt like I had a thin rope across the back of my head when I laid down on it.

It is neat feeling that hair up there isn't it? they kind of stay stiff and bristly feeling until they shed. Enjoy it though!

Yup

It takes about 2 month for the discomfort to go away completely. I have found with my 3rd HT massaging the donor area with some aloe soap in the shower really assisted in healing. Make sure to keep it clean.

At about 3 months post you should feel about 90% healed with a little visible scar.. 4 -5 month usually is when the hair covers it again

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!