Does the recipient area always get shaved?

I have some hair in the front of my head and if I were to get some graphs in the front is it necessary to shave the area?

I see most photos with the recipient area shaved. But if I could keep the hair I can conceal the area.

Does shaving provide a better chance for survival? make it easier for the Dr. to operate?

I have some hair in the front of my head and if I were to get some graphs in the front is it necessary to shave the area?

I see most photos with the recipient area shaved. But if I could keep the hair I can conceal the area.

Does shaving provide a better chance for survival? make it easier for the Dr. to operate?

NO, some docs do and some don't.

In fact, there is an excellent debate between two doctors in a thread giving the pros of each side.

I'll summarize, but maybe someone can link it. Some Drs. think it's imperative to shave the recipient area as it makes the ht faster, therefore allowing them to get the donor hairs back into the head at a faster rate. Also, they believe it affects native hairs less.

The Dr. who doesn't shave believed there is minimal value in shaving it; and that value isn't worth the embarassment the patient would go through if he couldn't take the time off.

I brought it up to my doc, and he didn't suggest or require it so it's a personal choice I think as top docs are on both sides of this issue.

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

Houston,

The subject of shaving can and will go on for ever.

Take a look at the results of Dr.Shapiro for example.(By the way he's not the Doc I used).

He IS one of the top docs.

His work is showcased on the forum on a daily basis.

His results are top notch...I'm sure everyone would agree.

He doesn't require shaving.

Everyone has an opinion...even the docs.

Do your homework...and after that...do your homework.

MH

When i had my HT i wasnt required to shave. 2 days after the surgery i started shedding like crazy. I decided to shave down to a #1 and the shock loss completly stopped. it seems like a stick for a lack of a better word. the longer the stick the easier it is to break, but the shorter it is the stronger it is. hope the analogy works for you guys. LOL

I can only agree 100% with spex.

Patient pay a lot of money for a lifelong result. They want the best possible result and by shaving the recipient area they give the doc and his team the best possible field of view.

Shave it !

Consultant-co owner Prohairclinic (FUE only) in Belgium, Dr. De Reys.

Just to add to the discussion....

Though I feel that shaving the recipient area creates an optimal work environment for the physician, in my opinion, it isn't always necessary.

Where shaving appears to be most helpful is when hair is being transplanted in between and around a lot of existing native hair. Around sparse native hair, shaving is most likely not going to be as much of an issue.

The type of recipient incision made also may be a factor here. Whereas cases can be made for both perpendicular (coronal/lateral) and paralel (sagital) incisions depending on the patient, I have heard many physicians argue that sagital incisions do a much better job of sliding in and around existing hairs to avoid transection then coronals do. This certainly makes a strong case for physicians who do not require shaving of the recipient area.

At the same time however, those who don't typically require shaving admit that surgery can take much longer when transplanting in between and around existing native hair which could then potentially make larger hair transplant megasessions exceeding 4000 grafts near impossible to perform in a single day.

Bill