Propecia vs Rogaine

altair

Could someone explain the difference between the two products? If they do basically the same thing, which is cheaper. Does one of them help a new HT grow faster. I started taking propecia twice a week ago per Dr. Cooley. I just started to take MSM this week in preparation for my HT in two weeks. I am concerned about the side effects of propecia and the costs! Thanks for any info.

Could someone explain the difference between the two products? If they do basically the same thing, which is cheaper. Does one of them help a new HT grow faster. I started taking propecia twice a week ago per Dr. Cooley. I just started to take MSM this week in preparation for my HT in two weeks. I am concerned about the side effects of propecia and the costs! Thanks for any info.

Propecia- regrows some hair and prevents or slows future hair loss.

Propecia is about $40-$50/month as you know. You can also get Proscar for the same price but divide up each Proscar tab. Proscar is a 5mg version of propecia.

Rogaine- promotes hair growth ("an additional offset of growth") but really doesn't prevent future hair loss like Propecia does.

Generic Rogaine is about $7-$8 /month. The real stuff is about $25-$30 /month

Rogaine does help a HT grow faster.

I recommend both. But if nothing else, you should at least stay on propecia. I think some people exaggerate the side effects. Consider a side effect of NOT taking it...you will lose more hair!

Altar,

The 2 drugs work in different ways. Propecia works by inhibiting DHT 1 which is a major cause of MPB. Rogain works directly on the scalp as a vasodilator-- basically allowing follical shafts to expand- or helps preventing them from contricting and closing up. MSM is just a nutrient which is vital for skin, nails, and hair. All together provide the best synergy for hairloss-- better results than using one along.

I am always surprised that doctors still give a prescription for Propecia without offering patients the Proscar option. So much cheaper for exactly the same content & result. Altair, did you ask Dr Cooley for Proscar? Side effects for me: slight headache for the 1st 2 weeks on Proscar, then nothing. Cost: about $10 per month.

You will find that most of the guys here take Finasteride (Propecia or Proscar), but that's not the case for Rogaine. There are some pros and cons with that stuff, I personally don't like it, have never used it and don't believe it would make a SIGNIFICANT difference in my case. Some well known posters were using it & then stopped (though still on Finasteride). Others like it. Your choice really.

MSM: see the other discussion currently taking place on the same "New Topics" section.

3045 FUs with Dr Victor Hasson on 8 June 2004

1836 FUs with Dr Jeffrey Epstein on 2 March 2006

Regimen: 1.25mg Proscar every other day