Dr. Rassman or Wong?

Ok, I am still early in all my research on HT and considering all options. First I am going to start taking Propecia to slow it down (I am 30 norwood 4-5ish). I have been looking at Dr. Rassman and here is why. He does the stars in Hollywood and is a big plus for me. If they trust his work then he must be good. Also, he does FUE which should help to keep the scaring at a minimum instead of one gigantic strip. What if the transplant doesn't give me the results I want, well with FUE at least I can shave my head still and look reasonably decent. I know he costs more then Wong, but this is my head and I will have it for life and I want the best. What do yo u guys think? Any feedback is appreciated I am very early in my research and fact gathering.

Ok, I am still early in all my research on HT and considering all options. First I am going to start taking Propecia to slow it down (I am 30 norwood 4-5ish). I have been looking at Dr. Rassman and here is why. He does the stars in Hollywood and is a big plus for me. If they trust his work then he must be good. Also, he does FUE which should help to keep the scaring at a minimum instead of one gigantic strip. What if the transplant doesn't give me the results I want, well with FUE at least I can shave my head still and look reasonably decent. I know he costs more then Wong, but this is my head and I will have it for life and I want the best. What do yo u guys think? Any feedback is appreciated I am very early in my research and fact gathering.

Here is what you want to do. You say you are looking into Fue. Well go ask Dr. Rassman if he can provide for you at least 4-5 patients that have had FUE done over the years. Take a good look up close and see if you would be satisfied with the yields and donor areas of these patients. There are very few doctors that are doing Fue as compared to strip. So you want to do as much research as you can. Good luck to you.

I don't think your reasoning about "stars" is very sound. Which stars has he done? Do you know? Of course not. Nobody does. You're making assumptions about the quality of his work based merely on his address. Don't worry about Hollywood and start thinking about what your particular case demands. If you're a NW4-5 at your age, I don't think FUE is the way to go. Nobody is doing big FUE session sizes with results as impressive as strip for the number of grafts you'll need. The Armani clinic claims to, but they're a whole other can of worms. I've never seen a Rassman FUE result on a higher level Norwood. My hunch is that since he's a very ethical doctor, he wouldn't even consider doing FUE on you.

Yes L'Anoyme you make good points. I don't think I would be a good FUE candidate. Is there anyone here who would be willing to take a look at my pics and give me a good idea on what my expectations should be?

zerosum,

I had a procedure with Dr Wong back in April and am happy with my early growth so far. The start of the crown pattern looks good, & I'm impatiently waiting for the growth.

Have you sent your pics to H&W for an online consultation? The folks on this forum could certainly provide you with their opinions if you post your pics.

Sounds like you're doing your research. If you've opted for FUE, you probably will go to Rassman as I'm not sure Doc Wong does FUE (though I'm sure he could!)?? Someone help me here, I can't remember for sure.

As for doing Hollywood HT's, I've heard some of Hollywood's finest ended up going to less than reputable HT Docs so don't put any stock in that whatsoever.

Dr. Wong is highly skilled, as I believe Dr. Rassman is. Sounds like you'll do okay either place.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Ok I tried to upload images but they were too big, so I just posted them on the blog below. Ok guys give me a honest opinion could I achieve a good result. Opinions on my donor area would be great too and what anyone thinks of my hair thickness for fullness capability if I get a HT.

http://smartcharts29.blogspot.com

I think you are a good candidate for strip.

You have diffuse thinning over the top so Im not sure what strategy they would use. Would they plant in that area? If so, then you would probably need 4K+ grafts. However, on the bright side, you would probably get an increadible result. Look at the H&W site to see what 4K grafts will do for someone who is not totally bald.

Rassman is supposed to be good too, but he is more expensive.

zerosum,

Welcome to our community.

Being a diffuse thinner you risk permanent shock loss of miniaturized hairs so it's best to try to strengthen them first.

Before even considering hair transplantation I'd get on Propecia for at least a year to see if it slows or stops your loss. Understand that side effects are rare but possible with Propecia so research first.

Both doctor Dr. Wong and Dr. Rassman are highly skilled and are capable of adminstering excellent results.

As TheEmperor stated, Dr. Rassman is more expensive.

Choosing between FUE and Strip is something you will have to seriously consider. There are pros and cons.

To read some of my thought about Strip vs FUE, read the following thread.

Cheers,

Bill

Originally posted by zerosum:

What the heck is diffuse thinning? Should I also use Rogaine with the Propecia? I will be getting one or both pronto.. icon_smile.gif What is the best way to get a script for Propecia?

Thinning all over (in you rnorwood pattern) as opposed to going bald in some spots and retaining hair in others.

This is normal.

I think it is a judgement call on when to transplant into an area with significant native hair. If there is alot of native hair, the transpants could transect the existing hair and you'll get close to a zero sum gain.

In your case, I think they would transplant around the spare existing hair and that would be supplemented by the transplant hair. Should look great when done.